I want to be scared!

-justin-
-justin- Posts: 891
edited March 2002 in Music & Movies
I watched "What Lies Beneath" the other day for the second time (saw it in the theater first) and let me tell ya, it still made me jump and gave me the willies on some of the scenes. I told this to Micah, and he laughed and said "that ain't nothing, watch THIS movie", as he handed me "Dead Calm".

Well the reviews are in....NOT SCARY! There were only 2 scenes worthy of "semi-scary", but nothing that made me jump out of my seat. Good movie though, I wouldn't call it great, since whatshername is a **** in the movie. And it was a little slow -- no music, only 3 people in the movie, if you don't count the dog, which should have been thrown off the boat for being retarded too.

I want to be scared! I want to watch a movie that bugs me for more that a night. Any suggestions?

~JB
Post edited by -justin- on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2002
    The Shinning
    -or-
    Stir of Echos, WLB was a rip-off of this movie.

Not much into the scarry movie scene, non really seem to be very scary.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2002
    Justin, scary movies are my favorite. What lies beneath was added to my top ten recently. It freaked me out also. Having a good HT amplfies the experience ten fold. Jump out of your seat kind of stuff. There doesn't seem to be enough of them out there for me. Here are a few of my recent favorites:

The Gift - I you liked what lies beneath -this is a must watch
    Jeepers Creepers -saw it last night (awesome) but too short.
    House On Haunted Hill - The new one
    The Haunting
    St. Franciosville Experiment- like Blair witch but way better
    Final Destination
    BW2
    There are more but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited January 2002
    the exorcist still scares the hell out of me! the new version of it on dvd with all the delated scenes still gives me the willies!

scott:cool:
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    maybe not the scariest movie, but when i saw event horizon in the theater, is was THE MOST uncomfortable movie to sit through... great soundtrack on this DVD. some good LFE a key points to make you jump.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2002
    I agree with ya there, Micah and some of the bro's feel it was a real whip, I thought it was cool, and yes, made you jump.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2002
    Event Horizon was pure lameness. Unless you like the satanic gore type stuff, don't bother.

If...
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2002
    Wait a minute... Where was the "satanic gore" in EVENT HORIZON? Maybe if it had some "satanic gore" it would have been more effective.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2002
    It's been awhile so correct me if I am wrong.

Is not EH about a ship that goes to hell and comes back possesed, thus killing people? Satanic (goes to hell and comes back possesed) + Gore(Kills people) = Satanic Gore. I remember lots of blood and strange killings. Maybe I am off-base and thinking of a different movie.

If...
  • -justin-
    edited January 2002
    No you are thinking of the right movie. I agree with you -- I had lots of friends tell me it was one of the scariest movies they had ever seen. All I was thinking about was Jurassic Park when I saw it (the doctor).

NOT SCARY!

~JB
  • Firerider58
    Firerider58 Posts: 95
    edited January 2002
    Just for ****'s and giggle's,,I bought "Jeepers Creepers" the other day. Pretty suprised by it. I think that horn on the bad guy's truck itself is enough to set anyone on edge. Only other two that ever gave me the willies were "Halloween" and the first "Phantasm"

Ron
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited January 2002
    This is a very cool movie. I was surprised because almost all of the so-called horror movies today are lame **** pieces of crap.

I loved when they drove past the creepers house when he was dumping the bodies down the tunnel and he turned and just stood there watching them drive bye. Great scene!!!

If anyone remembers the old movie called "The Car", the same loud horn blowing was used in that movie. Jeepers Creepers is better though.

John
    No excuses!
  • Firerider58
    edited January 2002
    Good scene you mentioned! When he was walking through the basement was also cool Plus! The sister was a HOTTIE!!

Ron

"Ah what sad time's it is when passing ruffian's can yell "NIH" at will to old ladie's" Roger The Shrubber :D
  • -justin-
    edited January 2002
    Ok, I give, I'll rent this movie. Thanks guys :)

~JB
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    yeah, this didn't look too interesting to me from the previews, just another crap horror movie of our generation... but after hearing so many people say good thigs about it, both on this forum and at the office, you have peaked my interest. i too, will have to go rent this....
  • jmeyers
    jmeyers Posts: 1
    edited January 2002
    Try "Jacob's Ladder". It is very disturbing. The imagery crafted for some of the scenes was unique for its time and still scary. The essence of horror, really. The new DVD release is excellent, BTW.

Jim
  • Firerider58
    edited January 2002
    "Jacobs Ladder" was a strange one. Saw it many years ago when it first came out. Might have to watch it again here soon. "Carnival Of Souls" is another one along the same line.

Ron
  • crewchief68
    crewchief68 Posts: 19
    edited January 2002
    Erin Brokavich......hands down. Dreams of horse teeth for weeks.....
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    horse teeth is what i call her too! finally, someone else who sees this, i don't understand why she is seen as hollywood's beauty???
  • DonP
    DonP Posts: 11
    edited January 2002
    Alien is definitely a top ten scary movie. Not the sequels, the original.
  • crewchief68
    crewchief68 Posts: 19
    edited January 2002
    It has to be some strange alliance between her, Satan, and the truly ugly.... I bemoan her preseance in The Mexican....the only Brad Pitt movie I'll never see.....
  • -justin-
    edited January 2002
    Man, I am so disappointed. I watched Jeepers Creepers, and I was NOT (I repeat) NOT scared. I was laughing at one point it was so stupid. I do admit that up to the point where they saw the guy dumping the bodies down the tube, it was a bit creepy. But after that, it took a NOSEDIVE! And of course, that is in the first 10 min.

And the entire movie, I kept thinking the brother guy was going to contact the mother ship (he played a dork in Galaxy Quest). The sister was pretty slammin', but she had too many stupid lines. "Take me, think about it, I'm the one you want!" WTF! She should have ripped her shirt off and ran like hell -- trying to reason with a demon, STUPID STUPID STUPID.

Sorry guys, but I did not like this movie. But thanks for the suggestion.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2002
    Your not the first to make comments like that about this movie. I will not see it.

If...
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    well, i finally rented this movie. the only reason i did was that many people said that is was a great scary movie. to be honest, what i saw from the trailers, i had no intention of ever watching this movie. ok, for my .02 on this movie. i have to be honest, this movie actually scared me, the first couple of sequences were great! i was very impressed. as the movie went on, it definitely lost something. the typical cheesy horror all got in there. and it drove me nuts how many 'effin times that chick couldn't get the car into gear!!! wtf??? anyway, it was definitely worth a sit through, and over all i was pretty impresed with it for a horror film, probably the best actually scary movies made in the past 5+ years...
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    I'm a HUGE horror buff, I love all the old and underground stuff. Basically the horror genre has gotten so bad, all I watch is older horror stuff. Anything by Dario Argento will likely scare and disturb you (check out Opera). Also if you are REALLY into some disturbing, scary horror (warning, these films are pretty extreme) check out Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, or Cannibal Hollocaust. Make sure they are the unrated versions, the rated ones are lame.

One of my all time favorites, though it borders on Sci-Fi, is The Thing. The new DVD version has amazing picture and a really great soundtrack. It was made in 1984, but the special effects are better than anything modern horror has to offer. Rob Bottin is a genius! Truly ahead of its time!

John
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited February 2002
    Texas Chaisaw Masacre and the original Night Of The Living Dead
  • Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited February 2002
    I would say the scariest movie i had ever seen was The Amityville Horror. They just dont mke scary movies like they use to. Seems they try and add comedy to them now a days. Also I like the Hellraiser series particualllary the 1st and 2nd as after that they add comedy to them.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    booo

i had to do that he he
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • -justin-
    edited March 2002
    Originally posted by joe logston
    booo

i had to do that he he

AHHH! Finally, someone scared me! :)
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited March 2002
    'horror' doesn't usually bug me that much because most of it so idiotic - although unlike Ron I thought 'Event Horizon' was pretty cool.

Movies that 'bug' me?

I think 'Requiem for a Dream' gets my vote for bugging me the most as far as recent releases go.

My favorite classic would have to be 'The Deer Hunter'.

All time favorite 'buggy' movie?

'Alien'
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2002
    BW2? What, that they made it?
    Make it Funky! :)