CS20 Revere Phase?

Options
jhumur
jhumur Posts: 33
edited June 2011 in Speakers
Just received my CS20 and hooked it up to my existing setup (a pair of Monitor 70 and a PSW10 Sub.) Ran my Receiver Speaker Setup and Calibration and it's telling me that the CS20 is "Reverse Phased" I checked the cable connection twice, and I am sure that I have it hooked up right. Red connected to the + at both ends. Called Polk Customer Service, but they're closed for the night. Hoping I could get some help from you guys in the meantime. Guess, I am too excited to try out the center channel to wait till tomorrow for Customer Service.:biggrin:
Post edited by jhumur on

Comments

• nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited June 2011
    Options
    maybe someone hooked it up wrong inside. have you tried reverse the polarity?
  • jhumur
    edited June 2011
    Options
    hi, nhhiep, at fist i was concerned about reversing polarity. but, in the end, i did just that at one end, and that seemed to fix the problem. so, it does look like either the receiver or the speaker was wired wrong inside.
  • Dobermann
    Dobermann Posts: 84
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Audessey on my Denon also insists that the center is out-of-phase, but it's not. I just ignored the warning. Speaker sounds fine regardless.
  • jhumur
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ya, Dobermann, I talked to Polk Tech and they told me that it has something to do with the 2nd and 4th order filers in the speaker. The Tech said tried hooking it up both ways and pick the configuration that produces the best (fuller) sound. I did that and, like you, I couldn't really tell much of a difference either way. So, I'm just gonna hook the speaker up with + going to +, and - going to -, and leave it at that.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Do you have it placed in a cabinet or entertainment center? A lot of times, reflections from people putting them in cabinets can make the Audyssey mic detect reversed phase (and it's generally a bad idea to place center channel speakers in a cabinet for acoustic reasons). Either way, Audyssey should adjust around it, both through speaker distance detection (since distance/delay acts as a de facto variable phase control) and through equalization in the time domain.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • jhumur
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hi kuntasensei:

My center is placed on the top shelf of the Entertainment Center, about 6 inches below the panel. It's wide open on all sides. There's a bass reflex port on the back of the center channel speaker. It's about six inches off the wall.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Sounds like you're fairly okay there. I would ignore the phase warning.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen