ShengYa Tube cd player

Options
Libertyc
Libertyc Posts: 914
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3801720626&category=3272

I just purchased a ShengYa tube cd player from eBay. It's made in China and was shipped in only six days. The Chinese are making some really good vacuum tube audio equipment at great prices. I really needed to upgrade my cd player. The best cd player I ever used was my Sony 5-changer, and my Sony 400-changer, so I wanted to upgrade on a bugdet. I took the chance and ordered the ShengYa unit which was modded for 120V use. The 220v to 120v mod kind of scared me at first, but after talking with the seller he said they offer a warranty.
I only had the unit playing for a few hours now and want to give you guys some quick feedback. The unit is hook to my bedroom system (NAD 7175 Polk Monitor 8T's) because my main system is down for now.
I just want to say this unit is AWSOME! The sound compaired to my Sony 5-changer is like night and day. The sound is like 3D...and I can hear every note. I'm hearing sounds from my CDs that I never heard before. I caught myself more than twice looking behind me think a sound was coming from outside or from the other room(Pink Floyd The Wall). The sound of the unit is just so open, and produces such a wide sound stage that It sounds like my SDA's. That's the only way I can describe how 3D unit sounds - LIKE SDA's! It uses two vacuum tubes and has a very good build quality. The remote control is cheap but works and the instructions are in Chinese (who reads instructions anayway?) I can't wait to hook the unit to my main system with my 1.2tl's. For the price and performance of the ShengYa , I would recommend it to anybody. I'm ready to order another one!
Post edited by Libertyc on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2004
    Options
    ShengYa equipment has caught my eye also, looks like VERY nice stuff, the dealing with a Chinese seller/shipper and all that worried me.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Yes - ShengYa makes Vincent and other high end audio equipment. I was just listening to the unit and I still can't get over how much channel separation it has. The unit has a voulme control and maybe able to hook directly to a power amp, but I'm not sure. It has a digital out )which I'm not using) but was wondering if this would bypass the vacuum tube stage? Like I said before - who needs stinking directions anyway?(written in Chinese). I really like the unit but already getting "used to" the sound in bedroom system. I can't wait to hook the old Sony cd player back up and see how **** it sounds. (I always thought it sounded good - better than my Apex DVD player anyway). Tonight I will hook the ShengYa tube Cd player to my Tube pre amp then to my pair of SS SAE's(tube power amp is down) bi-amped to my 1.2tl's. I should get some good sound tonight. Don't be afraid of the shipping from China. It was $99.00 and double boxed but I just factor that into the final price which I still think is a great deal.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Congrats on your new purchase. Nothing beats the magical sound of tubes. It seems like we're starting to get some high quality stuff from China. I hear people there are really into tubes especially Hong Kong.
    Originally posted by Libertyc
    It has a digital out )which I'm not using) but was wondering if this would bypass the vacuum tube stage?

Don't use the digital out, you'll bypass the tube stage by doing it. The analog output of your CD player is amplified by tubes instead of an op-amp.

Maurice
  • scottdawg
    scottdawg Posts: 166
    edited March 2004
    Options
    OMG, you have my head spinning. I really want to add a turntable to my rig since I recovered a nice collection of vinyl. But now Im thinking hmmmm should I upgrade my CAL CD player since I could use a second one for my 2nd rig or just wait. I tell ya I would need about a grand to purchase the equipment to do a nice turntable, phono stage addition and be able to expierience the vinyl world again, or spend what this thing costs and find out first hand what your expieriencing. Keep us informed.