Digital coax cable length

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I went down to an electronic store in a nearby mall last week to purchase a pair of coaxial cable. The shortest length they had was 1.5m so I bought two of them to be used on the AA DAC and DTI. Anybody ever notice a difference going from a 1.5 to a 0.5m coax? The cables are Ultralink Digital Coax.

Thanks

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Maurice,

the only difference i noticed right away is that the 1.5m are much longer than the 0.5m Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

sorry sometimes i can't resist.. being a smartass :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I agree, the 1.5 is definately longer than the .5
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • organ
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I meant difference in sound quality:).

Maurice
  • organ
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Thanks Sean. That's what I was thinking. Digital signals are so much simpler than analog.

Maurice
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Maurice, I just noticed this question and although I'm sure that you're more curious than concerned, I'll comment. You'll be using those cables to take the digital output of your 541 to those Audio Alchemy items and as long as the square waves which form the digital 1s and 0s are transmitted with a high enough bandwidth so that they can be read as a 1 or 0, the transmission is perfect. Depending on the sampling rate, it's suggested that frequencies up to about 5MHz or 25MHz be considered. Looking at a Belden Product Bulletin for a typical 22ga coaxial cable, you'll note from the table at the end that for digital audio transmission, the suggested maximum lengths are well over a thousand feet. You've got a bit of a safety margin.
  • organ
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the help, John. You're right, I was more curious than concerned. This is the first time I used a Coax and external DAC.

Maurice