Effect of running 4 Ohms into 8 Ohm speaker?

Options
I'd like to run a pair of CS400i's (8 ohms)in parallel for my center channel. I have an amp that can handle the 4 Ohm load (rated 300 watts @ 4 ohms) .... Am I looking at doing any harm to my 8 ohm rated speakers by doing this?

The other option is of course using a y-adapter from my pre-amp's center channel and running two separate amp channels for each speaker at 8 ohms.. (This is my current set-up w/ a 125 w/channel amp.. but I'm changing things up a bit) Don't laugh but I'm actually running 4 center channel speakers at the momment.. (The two CI400, plus a pair of rt55i's ... seems like the pair of bookshelves add some punch to the bottom end) Doing this through a two channel amp with an A+B switch that allows for a 4 speaker hookup.) The 4 total with A+B engaged sound better than the CI400s by themselves.. I've got a better amp w/ 4 ohm capability.. thus the reason for the potential change.. :D
Post edited by TomTesch on

Comments

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    Options
    You won't hurt anything in the speakers.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2006
    Options
    No harm to any speaker running them in any configuration, as long as the speaker is driven in it's ratings. You can't run 200w to a 20w speaker at max volume.

So back to your first question 2 8ohm speakers in parallel is 4ohm to amp no problem. If you desire 4 speakers with 1 amp then 4 8ohm speakers in parallel is 2ohm to a 4ohm amp not good. I suggest you run 2 speakers in series with the other 2 speakers run the same way, then place these speakers ends in parallel for 8ohms as both sets are 16ohm. Or you could run these off another amp, this way you could run them the first way, as the amp would see 4ohms.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hey no problem with that setup. The only time you get into problems are when you 1. overpower them or 2. you run the amp into a lower ohm rating then what it can handle. As long as you stay with in your boundries your always safe. You can run higher power into speakers lower rated say 300 watts into a 150 speaker is better than 300 watt speakers and 150 watts amp ran into clipping which will send distortion to them. power rating is X-amount of power for x-amount of time.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • jrlouie
    jrlouie Posts: 462
    edited January 2007
    Options
    On a side note, something I learned years ago is that the speakers' determine the impedance (not the amp). Amps are rated to “handle” a given impedance but the speakers determine it. An amp will inherit any impedance (ohms) presented to it.
    Whether or not it can handle it is a different story ;)

Just thought I'd word it that way. It helped me grasp the concept back in the day ( hopefully I grasped it right ;) ).
  • hsbgmkt
    hsbgmkt Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I've always used 4 ohms setup, 4 ohms have professional grade electronics. 8 ohms is geared more towards consumers,

If you want Professional Sounding Audio, save your money and buy 4 ohms rated amp and speakers. With 4 ohms you'll get more power bec of less resistance, and bigger fuller detailed sound.
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Simplistically, if the least amount of resistance your speakers present to the amplifier is 8 ohms, 8ohms is what your amp will see.

Even if your amp was rated for 1 ohm loads, it would still "see" just 8 ohms from an 8 ohm speaker.

Amps don't "put out" ohms, they "react" to the loads that speakers put on them.

Where you run into problems is the OPPOSITE situation, 4 ohm speakers will cause the average 8 ohm amplifier to run too hot or fry by putting nearly double the current draw on it than what it was designed to comfortably supply.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • inspiredsports
    edited April 2011
    Options
    hsbgmkt wrote: »
    I've always used 4 ohms setup, 4 ohms have professional grade electronics. 8 ohms is geared more towards consumers,

If you want Professional Sounding Audio, save your money and buy 4 ohms rated amp and speakers. With 4 ohms you'll get more power bec of less resistance, and bigger fuller detailed sound.

Welcome to CP.

By the way, what is "a 4 ohms setup"?
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hmmm......original thread date, 2006.
    By the way, what is "a 4 ohms setup"?

It's pro gear.....see my sig in red.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited April 2011
    Options

Wow, THIS is sig material! :rolleyes:
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2011
    Options

OUCH!!!!!!!:confused:

Welcome to Club Polk hsbgmkt! :smile:

I took you quite a few years to respond to TomTesch (I was not even a member of CP when this thread was opened:eek:). Where were you all that time, were you in a coma or some of the sort? :tongue:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • inspiredsports
    edited April 2011
    Options
    . . . 4 ohms have professional grade electronics. 8 ohms is geared more towards consumers . . .

Polk marketing genius; those 6-ohm models were loved by all !! :biggrin:
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Esreuter
    Esreuter Posts: 176
    edited May 2011
    Options
    :confused:

Hey forum, i have a question actually a few questions. i warn you they are loaded questions so please bear with me. I am new to this so your expertise will help me out a lot and is needed.

the topic: impedance, resistance, ohms (i think they are all the same thing)

Gear tested: sony 5600 es avr (8 or 4 ohm capable), Monitor 2 line. 70's on the front, cs2 center, 40s on the rear and surround rears. Cables: 10awg. Maximum cable run, ~25ft.

Configuration and procedures: all speakers bi wired. runs begin at the binding post at the amp. Banana plug has 2 runs mounted in each plug.
    I tested at the mount on the banana plug since this is where the 2 cables terminate.

Meter: fluke II multimeter, pretty basic.

results: all channels report 4~4.3 ohms, except center channel 4.3~4.5, (no bi wire option) but when i was tinkering inside the cabinet i noticed they are wired parallel.

questions:

1. :confused: On polk website nominal impedance is 8 ohms for the whole line of monitors. Buuut, i have meter results at 4 ohm. what should i trust? is "nominal" used for safety and the layman who just hooks up the speakers and listens? or even with a meter showing 4 ohms is it still supposed to be run at 8ohms?

2. :confused: dangers, through research i keep reading of dangers of mix matched ohms on the receivers. IE 4 ohms driven at 8 ohms, or vice versa.
    I learned that running low ohm loads at higher ohms results in heat and lost power in the amp. is this true? i have been running these speaker at 8 ohms for about a month plus and haven't noticed abnormal heat, i thought the receiver was a touch warm but i couldn't cook a steak on it. I am also never running my system at peak levels or super high levels i always stay at low to moderately loud. perhaps that saved some heat.

2.1 :confused: I have read several dangers of running AVRs in 4 ohm, that is lowers the sound floor, makes the amp clip sooner, thus causing damage to your equipment because of too much demand. My AVR has a volume range of -92 to +23db, (or so it says on the display) the loudest i have ever played my system during its 8 ohm run is at -10db. what happens when you clip an amp? it fries? quits? is it the "protect mode" i hear about? How can i find my sound ceiling with out causing damage to my gear? For any of you out there with the sony AVRs in your expert advice is my normal listening range at 4 ohms ok? -57 to -10db.

2.2 :eek: ohms, watts, current?
    i get lost when reading about these. one place gives formulas, and some places talk about 8 ohms being safe for 4 ohm speakers because they take less current? other info sites that even if you amp can go to 4 ohms it changes the current draw and you can fry everything if the amp cant handle the current? Its all a big mess to me, if any one can clear up current, watts and i think i got ohms, but, hey, i can always learn more. please help, the over all big question is am i going to fry my gear, by running 4 ohms?

3:biggrin: Benefits? I have read several times that for optimal sound and efficiency everything should be matched. IE, my meter shows my speakers at 4 ohm load, thus i have put my AVR into 4 ohm load. What can i reap as benefits, perhaps louder volume at lower db levels (on the display)? I cant test right now as it is 230am and wife is sleeping. any other benefits you guys can enlighten me to would be welcomed!

i know its a lot to ask but, all your help is greatly appreciated so perhaps one day i can add intelligently to the discussions on the forum.

i also have to say this, i love the longevity of this thread, started in 2006, then a year break and then bam 2011. seeing that it was posted on so recently is why i decided to add to it.

thank you all for your help
    ESR.:biggrin:
    AVR: Sony 5600ES
    Center: CS2II (Clarity Caps PX, Perfect Lay coil, Mundorf resistors)
    Front: Monitor 70 II (Clarity Caps PX, Perfect Lay coils, Mundorf resistors)
    Surrounds: Monitor 40 II (Clarity Caps PX, Perfect Lay coil, Mundorf resistors)
    Rear Surrounds: Monitor 40 II (Clarity Caps PX, Perfect Lay coil, Mundorf resistors)

More to come :biggrin:
  • inspiredsports
    edited May 2011
    Options
    All of your speakers are definitely 8 ohm - http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/manuals/home/Monitor_Manual.pdf - Wiring 2 8ohm speakers in parallel yields a 4 ohm load at the amp. As your AVR has 4-ohm capability, you should have no worries.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Impedance varies with frequency so a "nominal" rating is an average of all impedances at all frequencies.

Nominal = average.

Your readings are just at the driver without any signal present. As the signal moves through the components (drivers, x-over components, etc) as a complete circuit from input to output the impedance will vary greatly. It may be as low as 3-4 ohms at very low frequencies and as high as 100 ohms or more at very high frequencies.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Esreuter
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i thank you for the insight. i have been reading today about the fluctuation of resistance.
    so it appears that, i am wasting energy at my amp because the speakers are not really calling for the power being that this setup is nominal at 8 ohms.

is that correct, since my nominal goal is 8 and i am running at 4, the amp is creating more current but the speakers are not taking the extra current due to the increased resistance.

what i learned today was: high power works with higher resistance, so the signal can make it where it needs to go. ( i am generalizing too.)

high current is used when resistance is lower and does not need such a big push.

if i am wrong or way off base please set me right.

so, lesson for today, switch amp back to 8 ohms to make everything happy.

thanks for your input H9.

ESR
    Rear Surrounds: Monitor 40 II (Clarity Caps PX, Perfect Lay coil, Mundorf resistors)

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Esreuter wrote: »
    :confused:

topic: impedance, resistance, ohms (i think they are all the same thing)
    Resistance is a DC measurement that indicates the pure resistance whereas impedance is an AC measurement that also includes the effects of any reactive components(inductance,capacitance)in the circuit.
    Meter: fluke II multimeter, pretty basic.

results: all channels report 4~4.3 ohms, except center channel 4.3~4.5, (no bi wire option) but when i was tinkering inside the cabinet i noticed they are wired parallel.
    You are merely measuring the DC resistance of the woofer(s) voicecoil and any inductors that are in series with it.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Esreuter wrote: »
    high current is used when resistance is lower and does not need such a big push.

ESR

In general, but since most consumers the last decade or so have moved away from big power amps,seperate tuners,preamps, alot of speakers are made 8 ohm to run off of a receiver,which most can't handle a consistant 4 ohm load. See the coralation ?

Monitor speakers are pretty darn easy to drive. Will they benefit from more power ? Sure, but it's not a necessity. A 4 ohm speaker becomes a necessity because you risk burning out the speaker becouse of lack of power. In other words, too much power won't hurt you, too little can and will. Don't fret so much over wasted energy, sooner or later you'll move up the speaker food chain and you'll be good to go.
    Maybe I missed it, but what amp are you driving the monitors with anyway ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • billyjeff2
    billyjeff2 Posts: 11
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Be interested to know how this plays out.
  • apphd
    apphd Posts: 1,514
    edited May 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Impedance varies with frequency so a "nominal" rating is an average of all impedances at all frequencies.

Nominal = average.

Your readings are just at the driver without any signal present. As the signal moves through the components (drivers, x-over components, etc) as a complete circuit from input to output the impedance will vary greatly. It may be as low as 3-4 ohms at very low frequencies and as high as 100 ohms or more at very high frequencies.

H9
    FTGV wrote: »
    Resistance is a DC measurement that indicates the pure resistance whereas impedance is an AC measurement that also includes the effects of any reactive components(inductance,capacitance)in the circuit.

You are merely measuring the DC resistance of the woofer(s) voicecoil and any inductors that are in series with it.

+1 Key points that will never change. Good to see you are trying to grasp the tech end of the hoby, there's a lot to it, but if you continue the journey with a good understanding of the how/why it works, your ears will thank you. Maybe not your wallet, but, but that's another story.
  • Esreuter
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Thank you all,

I only wish i had the gear to do such a test to see impedance. From your guidance i have found information about impedance fluxing with frequency, and learned a deal about how the manufacturer creates the guidelines for nominal impedance. i wont post it you guys already know this stuff. Again i thank you for the right path to find the correct info.

i got steered wrong at another forum where a person metered their tsi400 at the binding posts on the back of the cabinet. he metered the top at 7.6ohm with out the jumpers, then put the jumpers on and metered 4ohm. this is where i got the bright idea to do the same to mine, just to see. i read the posts there and no one mentioned the facts of impedance you guys did.