External DAC's - Audio Alchemy DAC-MAN

Options
dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Anybody have any experience with the Audio Alchemy DAC-MAN?
If so, can you describe the changes you heard after adding this to your system?
Thanks! ;)
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Options
    You just win the one on ebay?

Not heard the DAC-Man, although I've been looking to find one cheap for a trial.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dragon1952
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Yeah...that was me. One of those spur of the moment, what the hell kind of things. Everything I've purchased from ebay so far I've been able to resell for the same or a profit so that's where the "what the hell" comes from. I had no idea what the value was ... it's not that easy of an item to research, being about 9-10 yrs old (from what I could gather anyway), but those Tara Lab interconnects ought to be worth something.
    I'm currently using a Sherwood Newcastle w/ dual 20 bit Burr Browns which was an improvement over my HK 7600 II for sound, but I may use the HK with this because of the build quality....it weighs like 18 lbs.
    Anyway thanks for the response.
    BTW, were you bidding? You wouldn't be texaslonghorn538 would you....and don't tell me there's 537 others!? :D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Hear you on the resale thing. Normally only the shipping is lost. I own most of the AA DAC's except the 3.0 and the DAC-in-the-Box.

I think the Tara Labs on the DAC-Man are integrated into the DAC with RCA's on one end only.

I put a "watch" bid in to open the bidding. By today it was higher than I was willing to go, but about what I've seen them go for before. I am ubetter... etc.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dragon1952
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Hmmm....a Who fan, I take it?
    I think the Tara Labs on the DAC-Man are integrated into the DAC with RCA's on one end only.

No **** :confused: ....they kind of look like they disappear under there....I figured the jacks were just underneath the unit or something.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2004
    Options
    My AA DITB and DTI should arrive anytime before the end of the week. Don't know how similar it is to the MAN but if you want I'll let you know how it compares to the DAC in my NAD CD player (24-bit burr brown and HDCD decoding).

Maurice
  • dragon1952
    edited February 2004
    Options
    That would be cool...thank's bud. ;^P
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2004
    Options
    dragon,

what is the rest of your system consist of? what speakers, what receiver/amp? Just curious.

Most (external) DAC's will be improvement over the ones in most CD's players.

What you want to listen for when it arrives and you hook it up for it's run thru.. listen for bettter clarity in the highs, mids, and sometimes in the bass too.

Listen for depth in the music.. meaning a more open and airy sound to your music. The first time i listened to my DAC i was very impressed with how airy it made CD''s sound. Now i try and get that same airy sound from everything i listen to in my house system.

Also do somekind of A-B comparison with your Sherwood without the DAC, then with the DAC. For best results use a high quality coax digital cable.

Look forward to reading about your findings once your DAC is in your rack. ha ha ha
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dragon1952
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Hey danger boy.....Cool.....I've never spoken with a superhero before!
    Thanks for your participation!
    I have a Marantz 2270 and Klipsch KG 5.2's soon to be replaced by Paradigm Studio 40's.
    I have an Integra DTR 7 for HT, but am in the process of 'rebuilding' as far as speakers go. I just got rid of my Polk LS50's and CS350SL center. My HT has always sounded pretty nice, but right now I'm focusiing on 2-channel cause that's what I listen to 99%. I think the Studio 40's will be a significant improvement over the Klipsch and I'm hoping the DAC will be a significant improvement also. I kinda did this to see if I can get around buying a better CD player, for the time being anyway.

BTW, I see you're from Wash St. I was born in Seattle and lived there until I was almost 13.
    Northwest Seattle near the Seattle CountryClub and Shoreline JC.
  • organ
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Dragon,
    I received my DITB yesterday (thanks Zane). I think you're going to be VERY impressed when you get yours hooked up. I hear the difference Al was talking about but I also have to add incredible bass slam, super clean and smooth mids, sparkling highs, awesome dynamics and I feel like it has better PRaT. I love that little unit. Haven't tried any HDCD's yet but I'm sure the NAD will be better for that because it can decode the extra 4 bit of information. I can say that my NAD will be used ONLY as a transport from now on for regular redbook playback. Can't wait until the DTI jitter reducer arrive. Let us know what you hear.

Maurice
  • dragon1952
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Woo hoo! Can't wait....thanks for the report!
    Rob
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I tell ya, that old AA stuff is great. Look forward to more impressions of the DITB's and the DTI's.

And if you are into vinyl the VITB's are also a great value...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2004
    Options
    One critical AA DAC owners need to be aware of is that the Power Station (whatever model) needs to be plugged into the equipment before it is plugged into the wall socket...

Wrong order produces a power spike that can knock out the chips in the AA DAC's...

Some AA models were modded by owners making the connection permanent on the DAC end.

Thought of this when I saw this ad...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14978&item=3080031336&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT

I'd be leery of this one...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• organ
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Tour,
    I'll post a review and pics as soon as the DTI arrives and I have some time to really listen. I'm on my March break now so I'll be home listening quite a bit.

Thanks for the tip on the power supply. Do you suggest I leave the unit on all the time? I hate having to unplug it everytime I'm done with it. There's no power switch on it.

I'm not a hardcore vinyl fan but if I see a VITB cheap, I may buy it. Thanks.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I think on all the time is fine. Switched outlet on your pre/ receiver is also an option.

Either way I'd have a surge protector in the power supply.

VITB's go for $100 to $150 on ebay... See one a month or so...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli