SR124 Sub enclosures, too big or too small?

nstillmatic
nstillmatic Posts: 10
edited April 2011 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Alright, I actually have 2 dual sealed enclosures because I bought the wrong size first due to a misprint. The second one I got (and I've been using), is a total of 3.06 cubic ft or 1.53 per chamber as I read that was a good size on this forum. I've been using them for a couple months now and it's really not as "loud" as I expected them to be. Could the enclosure be too big?

The other box I never tried may be too small. It's 1.17 cubic ft per chamber. Polk recommends 1.2 cubic ft. I don't want to totally kill any of the deep sound but I'm not sure how much these measurements affect it. Would this size be better or just way too small?

Thoughts?
Post edited by nstillmatic on

Comments

• PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited December 2010
    Have they been broken in? They sound better when broken in. Trust me. When I got my SR10, it wans't very loud. I have 10 hours so far and its louder and hits lower it seems that it used to.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • nstillmatic
    nstillmatic Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Actually the Polk manual recommends .88 to 1.4 after displacement I believe. You should have a lot of headroom to have a smaller box. The manual says differently than the website.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited April 2011
    Actually the Polk manual recommends .88 to 1.4 after displacement I believe. You should have a lot of headroom to have a smaller box. The manual says differently than the website.

Wait, so u just asked a question and then answered it the way someone else would refferring to yourself as "YOU".... :confused:

Either way u're (or should i say YOU lol) wrong.
    At first Polk's recomendations were .88 + .14 displacement but then they said "Sorry guys, we screwd up, correct size should be 1.20 + .14 which totals 1.34 of overall enclosures internal size.

And +1 on breaking in, my SR124dvc took almost a month to break in in sealed enclosure and now literally can shake cars that are parked next to mine which is a loud as anyone would want imo (unless u're an spl guy)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1