PSW1200 grills

Options
rayzor_jon
rayzor_jon Posts: 9
edited February 2004 in Flea Market
Hey all, I got a PSW1200 and it didn't come with grills. I emailed Polk Audio customer service and they want $40.oo a piece. Does anyone happen to have extra/unused grills they would like to sell. Or any ideas of where else I can get them without paying $80.00 for the pair?

Thanks!
Too much bass is never enough
Post edited by rayzor_jon on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    If you want them new, you are a slave to Polk Audio....good luck trying to source one used.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Is that the club price? If not, I think it's 20% off plus free 2 day shipping.
  • rayzor_jon
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I figured that I wouldn't have many options as I have looked around online with no success. Figured I would try anyways, thats what the Polk Forum is for.

20% off with a Club deal would help, but that's still $64 for 2 simple grills. I just can't justify paying that much for 2 plastic grills.

Maybe I'll get lucky and eventually find a deal somewhere. Thanks for the advice so far!
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I thought club price was 5%.?????
    Life without music would
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I just took a look at mine, and I don't think they'd be too hard to duplicate. They look like they're made of 3/4" MDF. Just a ring, with a rounded outer edge. As far as grille guides, PE part #260-367 seems to work fine.

Perhaps you might know someone with a router and a circle jig who could cut them out for you? Then all you'd need to do is locate the guides and cover them with grille fabric. Maybe $20 worth of parts, probably less. I can provide the exact dimensions if you'd like.

There aren't just gobs of PSW1200's, so I think the chance of finding a used grille is very slim.

Jason
  • rayzor_jon
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Hey Jason, thanks!! That might be the way I may have to go. I have lots of tools and would be able to make something like that with MDF or even better with a solid piece of hardwood. I have sent out a few emails to online stores that sell grills to see what they have avail. If I have no success, I'll probably go that route and let you know if I need dimensions.
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Excellent information Jason!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • tigerfever1
    tigerfever1 Posts: 33
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I also own a psw1200, It is a work of art and deserves a real pair of grills. Since the your sub is easily worth $500 to $700 on the current open market, the time it takes to get the mdf board, cut an inner and outer perfect circle for two and have a "friend" use a router to finish the edges, buy the speaker cloth that "matches the polk cloth(if you can find it),drill the holes to perfectly match the grill pins positions, you are way into $65 or more considering the actual labor time it takes and resources. If polk still has them I recommend you snag them now,preserve the resale value of you psw1200 and save the all the headaches. Have you ever tried to use a router on mdf board? It is not an easy task. It also is hard to seal and paint to look original. I may sound negative but I've been there and back with making grills and frames and that is only as a last resort. If you call them up and let them know you are club polk member, they will give you a 20% discount and free shipping. Polk Parts 1-800-377-7655
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I see your point, and I agree that just buying them from Polk would be the easiest.

But OTOH, I maintain that they wouldn't be hard to make, given the proper tools. Especially since they're just a circle. It's harder to make a rectangular grille. MDF routes easily, and with a circle-cutting jig, perfect circles are no problem. Rounded edges are easy too. There's a little time involved, but not much $$ in parts.

And that was my point: That if one were inclined to do so, the grilles wouldn't be hard to make. Now if you're paying someone to make them, well, the Polk price doesn't sound too bad.

Jason
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Those who don't know how to use a router, or want to, are the ones that buy factory speakers. I think DIY is fantastic.
  • rayzor_jon
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Well, I splurged and got the grills from Polk. They said they only had 6 left. I could have hand-made them, but like tigerfever said, this way it helps to preserve the retail value of this little monster. The Club Polk price is what got me to actually buy these- thanks Polk, and Thanks all! Rock on!