dan t
dan t Posts: 206
edited February 2002 in Music & Movies
Post edited by dan t on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    you will find that most DVD's are transferred to disc in OAR (original aspect ratio) or the way they were originally filmed. the care and thought that goes into the making of a DVD with all the extras and behind the scenes and making ofs, most are going to offer the movie the way the director intended you to see it. some tv's, (mostly 16:9's right now) offer a 'zoom & fit' command that will 'fill' your screen and cut off the non propotionate image, however if you own a set that does not offer this feature, you are watching it in OAR. this IS the way you want to watch your movies, it's what the director originally intended you to see, with 'pan & scan', you loose part of the image, and sometimes even main characters in a 'wide' sceen will be lost. alot of DVD's offer both formats, and some even have two discs out, one in widescreen, one in P&S. you must turn from the dark side and appreciate the beauty of OAR...:D
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited February 2002
    Remember that link Micah put up about the different types of of pictures and how it worked? Is it stillin one of the thread or do we nee toget himto post it again. After watching it all I want is widescreen.
    Chris :)
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2002
    death to Pan and scan....
    :eek:
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    Pan-n-Scan, thems fight'en words around these parts.

On average, you will lose up to 30% of the movie when you watch a pan-n-scan version.

Do away with Pan-n-scan forever

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    I know a lot of VHS peeps who wish Pan-N-Scan was still alive and kicking. But once you go Black (bars) you never you back!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2002
    sayno2.gif
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    will DVD's such as Titanic be available in other formats besides widescreen?
    Hopefully.........NEVER! Why would you want to cut up a movie?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    Pan and scan if that's all that you can.
    But,
    to see what you've not seen, get a wide screen.

...and if it's in 2:35 AR, as Micah would say,
    "just suck it up"

-luc
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited February 2002
    I'm never going back....NEVER!

~JB
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited February 2002
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2002
    what i hate is now i have to watch out what movies i rent becues now they are just stocking the p&s of some movies like jursac park 3 witch i found out after i rented it now i read the aspect ratoi befor i rent the movie
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2002
    Dan T.
    OK guys. I get the point. Widescreen it is.
    Welcome back from the Dark Side. The force is strong on this forum
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    another conversion:D the force is strong indeed....
  • Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited February 2002
    I think the first time i watched a widescreen film was when i first got my dvd player and only had like a 27" tv. I think then i really didnt like the widescreen. But after watching widescreen on a nig screen i love it. Now i think th next tv i get will be a widescreen for sure. That is if i get a tv have been looking at DLP's here lately. What do u guys think of the DLP's??????????
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2002
    Shack, that's a great little animation!

I walked out of blockbuster with Jurassic Park III in my hand, watched it, realized it was P&S, and took it back for a refund!

MC!
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney