More advice?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2011 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I've read that all you guys definately are against mixing brands of subs but I've recently inhereted a 92 gmc sierra and there were 2 10" mtx 6000's in the back already. I was wondering if I could use inline crossovers and the amp to make it a (bandpass?) range of 70-125hz (maybe higher? comments?) or so and use my other sub (kappa perfect 10.1) for <70hz and would this sound okay? I figure I might as well use the extra muscle if its already there at my disposal. The other speakers in the car ar 4x6"s (unsure of the brand, havn't looked yet).

Many thanks.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    still wouldnt do it...
    for one, 125Hz is way too high for a sub
    mine dont play over 80, i would never cross them over at more than 100
    and you would have to over lap them to make it the sound stage right, if you didnt, then it would sound off, like missing frequencies, but then, if you over lapped them, each sub has a different sound, so it would still be off
    its a no win situation
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    Bah.. Thanks anyways. I wonder which I should sell. Hah.

Anyone know if the speaker opening in a 92 gmc sierra or 92 chevy silverado can be opened enough (easily enough) to fit 5"x7" or possibly 6"x9"s?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    are they 4x6s?
    if so youll have to cut the metal away until itll fit a 6x9
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    I agree. Mixing subs aint that good cause each sub sounds different. Besides, I have heard a ton of good things about that Kappa Perfect sub. Ive never heard one but Ive read reviews on it and they are all glowing. Ive also talked to some clerks in local shops and they give it high marks as well. You put an **** load of wattage into that thing and I bet youd have all the grunt you would want.

Id say dump the MTXs and stick that 10 in a sealed box, put a big amp on it, cross it over at 80 Hz and let er rip! You would be suprised how much boom you can get out of a single sub if done right.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    I've actually decided to sell the mtx's, buy another kappa perfect 10.1d, stick them in a sealed box and power them with a brand new hifonics nemesis nx750d (750wrms x1 @ 1ohm). Ooooh, I cant wait.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    those have really high sensitivity ratings, i think when you get 2 with that amp, youre going to be SLAMMING
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    Thats definately what I'm hoping for. For the setup: should I put them in two separate downfiring boxes on each side under the back bench? From what I understand, if you've got enough clearance (4"-5" min) under the box then a downfiring box is the best sounding and with 2 separate boxes on opposite ends, you get a better sound stage? Did I miss anything or is there a better way? Thanks
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    mine are forward firing into the front seat, so theyre reflecting off the front seat which is good too
    but downfiring in trucks is great too
    and yes, 2 separate chambers
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2003
    i'd say keep the mtx 6000's as long as they work, put 300 watts on each, and pound the hell away -- those subs rock hard -- not the nicest sounding things on god's earth, but by far not the worst, and they will POUND hard.

keep the kappa for a while and then if the mtx's stay good then get on some girl's good side by giving her a kappa for the holidays and hope she pays u back with nookie.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited January 2004
    Sorry, i have to dissagree with you on this one Dodge.. i/ve seen and heard better from the kappas.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • jasonvs
    jasonvs Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Forged Composite is the most advanced material mother earth has to offer, enabling the most precise positioning of weight ever seen before in a Callaway golf club.

drivers-razr-hawk__large_1.jpg

Super light weight, Forged Composite is precision forged under extreme pressure, enabling it to have remarkable load bearing capacity at only a third the density of titanium.With over 500,000 turbostratic carbon fibers per square inch, Forged Composite has allowed Callaway Golf engineers to create an ultra thin-walled body, which is much lighter, stronger than titanium.The result, lower overall Callaway RAZR Hawk Driver head weight with precisely engineered weight distribution enabling the use of a longer shaft to increase head speed and power at impact for longer distances and enhanced accuracy.

199702101 http://www.globlesports.com/