2.3TL Problems.

gemohler
gemohler Posts: 11
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Well, the speakers themselves I inherited..are without a single scratch..visible -perfect-.

Not even dust on the speaker surrounds.

I plug em into my B&K..and they sound _muddy_.

Imagine you had nothing but mid-bass..and the highs fell out about 1K upthe EQ.

If I plug in my SDA2Bs..its perfect. No issues.

Just muddy, and with a hint of distortion perhaps.

Tweeters are visibly OK..anything I should start lookin for or at??

The wiring is correct on the back of the towers.
Post edited by gemohler on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2004
    Are you getting any sound at all from the tweeters?

The 2.3TL's have two sets of binding posts (2B's only have one set) and there should be a jumper between each top and bottom post. Look to see if they are there. If not that's your problem. If they are, then pull out the PR to see if the connections from the tweeters to the crossover have come off. Report back what you find and if they still aren't working we'll go in a little deeper.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited January 2004
    Try doing a tweeter rotation, moving them from the bottom to the top. If your tweeters are damged the ones from the bottom are typically in better shape because of the cascade array configuration they are in. I had the same problem and had to replace a pair 3000's to fix the issue. Those tweeters are great, except they tend to be a bit on the fragile side. Hope this helps.

-Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • gemohler
    edited February 2004
    Ok..im back in country.

Gonna go peek at the tweeters NOW in fact.

The bottom two do have sound coming from them on both sides.

The top tweeter drivers are audibly dead.

The binding posts do have the crossovers, and they have a good connection.
  • gemohler
    edited February 2004
    Horray!

Swapped the center 3k with the top..thats the issue.

Two MIA 3000s to purchase. ;)
  • F1nut
    edited February 2004
    Ok, seems like the top tweets were fried. Polk doesn't sell the SL3000 anymore, but has a replacement that is a black silk/rubber dome. It's suppose to sound close, but isn't quite as fast. For the time being move the dead tweeters to the bottom, that way you won't notice that much of a loss in the highs.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gemohler
    edited February 2004
    Thanks for the note. I will drop the dead one to thebottom for now.

Does anyone have a list of the different Xover points these drivers all have for kicks?
  • F1nut
    edited February 2004
    I send you a copy of the schematics and the spec sheet. Polk doesn't spell out the crossover points, but I thought you would like the info anyway.

President of Club Polk