Reciever Questions

Options
tbarlotta
tbarlotta Posts: 4
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
In the last year I have slowly become an audiophile.

I am curious about a lot of things now and have been reading these posts for sometime. I am loving the speakers I currently have (RT55is, CS400i and in the mail (I hope) f/x500i -- one day the elusive sub will be mine). However, I am discouraged by a lot of recievers out there. There doesn't seem to be enough digital inputs on my SONY DE945 (roughly a year+) and a lot of recievers out there have the same number. At this point in time I would like a reciever with at least 3 optical digital inputs (okay mine has this but one is dedicated to be used by a Mini-Disc player). (I am pretty sure I could "trick" the reciever into sending a video signal than switching to the MD hookup - but what a pain).
I have Directv, Playstation2 and a DVD to hook up. With only 2 real digital inputs that also input video.

What are some good recievers I could look at? Without killing my wallet of course. Are there recievers that let you configue inputs...ie Optical input B goes to Video Input 3?

Hope this was somewhat clear,
Tim
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    don't want to use your coaxial digital input? hooking your dvd player up this way, would free up an optical for the PS2 or MD...

just a thought, and welcome to the forum...:D
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    the onkyo 797 has 7 digital inputs. 4 otpical/3 coaxial

can be had as low as $759.99 online...

onkyo 797
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2002
    Options
    My $350 JVC has 3 optical and one coax ins with one optical out. I'm currently mad at itbut it's nice. They are out there though.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • tbarlotta
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome -- I enjoy these forums a lot.

:confused: I am confused! My reciever does have matching coaxial inputs for all optical inputs
    1. TV/SAT -- one coaxial & one optical & SVideo
    2. DVD -- same
    3. MD -- same without the SVideo
    4. Video 1 & 2 -- RCA inputs with SVideo -- plus corresponding outs
    5. Video 3 -- all RCA inputs

Currently I have my DVD going into DVD and my PS2 going into the TV/SAT spot. I don't run a digital sound connection from the directv. What is the best way to connect it to the coaxial spot?

Thanks,
    Tim
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    Options
    tbarlotta-

Welcome.

It goes round and round, optical vs coaxial.
    Both can send a high quality digital signal.
    Optical cables are more delicate, and more likely to be affected by dust, dirt, dung, etc.
    Most folks at the snooty highend shops use high quality coax. cable.
    Use decent quality, doesn't have to be
    pure Incan gold, mined by native virgins,
    and you will get good performance out of either coaxial or optical.

-luc
  • tbarlotta
    edited February 2002
    Options
    So I can have the PS2 going into the optical end of the TV/SAT and the SAT going into the coaxial of the TV/SAT input? How do I manage video?
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I doubt that you can use the optical AND coaxial inputs if they're both associated with the same input selector position. -Unless your digital-in's are configurable, like you mentioned.- I think configurable digital inputs are common on most >~$500 receivers. My Denon 3801 has four optical (I think?,--I'm using 3) but only one coaxial. They're assignable to any input.

The 3802 can be had for ~$750 now, if you're interested in a receiver upgrade. And check out some of the other "Best receiver.." threads. I had a V333ES Sony previously, and I like the Denon MUCH better.

Jason
  • bobsan
    bobsan Posts: 4
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I just bought an HK AVR520 from Fry's on sale for 599$ It has 2 Optical & 2 Coax dig inputs on rear and in front it has one of each that can changed to be either output or input.
  • Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I have the Onkyo 797 reciever. I believe it is pretty friendly in the way where u can select what digital input u want for what u want. I really only have one digital device that i am using and that is the DVD player. From what i have heard the coax and optical are pretty much the same and that coax would be more succeptible to interference whether there is truth to this i dont know. Also from what i have found out there is 2 forms of optical cables as from a construction material standpoint. One is glass and the other a poly material where glass i believe is the higher end well it is more expensive anyway. But either way i dont think you would be able to tell the difference if you got good quality cables. At least i dont think i would be able to tell the difference in performance unless u are talking some cheap cable as compared to like a monster cable. Like they say in the stock market world do your DD.
  • tbarlotta
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I am looking at the Denon Recievers now. It seems a lot of people on this forum really like them.

The question now is...Upgrade the reciever or get a sub first?

Tim

PS - My f/x 500i s came in the mail on Friday (got them from someone on eBay for 415 after shipping). The improvement in sound by adding the rear speakers is unbelievable.