So, back to planning...

Options
KeithV
KeithV Posts: 107
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm just running ideas around in my head..

Music Hall CD25
Carver M500
Lsi15s or Monitor 10s or Amazings.. or...
Undecided on pre...

I'm so confused :P

Anyone in washington state have any similar equipment I could come demo? Cause out of all of that I've only heard the 15s, and that was on an Onkyo 8811 100wpc piece of crap at frys.
Post edited by KeithV on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Looks like a good system to me. You might want to do a comparison of the MMF CD25 against the CEC CD3300; I did and chose the CEC, $25 cheaper too. The new Cambridge Audio Azur is already collecting accolades, another one to look at. The competition in the $400-$800 range of CD players is fierce, without a doubt...

What about the parasound PHP-850 for a pre? Its another best-kept secret in audio, $249.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • KeithV
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Now I am considering the PHP-850 and the HCA-1000A mated to LSi15s... I didn't know parasound stuff was so affordable.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Yup, pretty diverse little list there. Especially in the speakers...

Amp-wise I opt for the Carver M-4.0t. Later generation M series than the 500t's and better sounding IMO. If you like the meters, look at the TFM series.

As for the speakers... what do you listen to? how loud? how much room do you have?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Concur with Mr. Borland there....

I'd look for a m4.0, TFM 45/42. IMO, the best of the carver amps and not that much more expensive. The the 4.0/TFM-45/42's differ in comsetics only.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Monitor 10s.

Universal (must have SACD & DVD-A capability, trust me) player setup to run in two channel.

And this new Jolida integrated tube amp, the JD 707A. 40Wx2.

jolida707A.jpg

Just tossing it out there. I'd love to have a two channel setup like that.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Although I love the way my Parasound HCA-1500A sounds, I don't like its frying-pan-hot operation. If you go Parasound, have AT LEAST 8" of clear space above the top of the amp in your rack, ...trust me on this. This is what it took to get mine to stop thermal-shutdown, after about 4hrs continous use; oddly enough, it is exactly what Parasound recommends in the manual.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • KeithV
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I listen to mostly rock.. anywhere from 60s to present. Progressive metal, death metal, heavy metal, acid jazz, jazz, blues.. stuff like zepplin, chili peppers, dave matthews, pink floyd, mars volta, ect ect..

I like to crank it up on occasion.. Right now I have a pair of RTi70s.. I had them hooked up to a marantz 1060 pre with a 250m powering them.. Had the dial at 12 o clock for hardcore listening (I have a tiny house).

I love detail, open sound, and solid tight bass hits.. no booming rap ****.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I'm guessing the 70's lack a little bottom end for your taste... yes?

I think the Mon 10's or 7's would please your ear (I know Russ' 7's pleased mine).

But also suggest you look into a pair of SDA's. My SRS's are the best rock speaker I've heard. Which model depends on your space and budget, but even the CRS's deliver nice bass.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD