Killzone 3

Options
PrazVT
PrazVT Posts: 1,606
edited March 2011 in Video Games
Anyone play Killzone 3 yet on PS3? I loved the Killzone 2 single player campaign.
ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
Post edited by PrazVT on

Comments

• blockatvalpo
    blockatvalpo Posts: 87
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I want to buy it, but Killzone 2 is the only game that's made me want to throw up. I don't know what it was with that game, but I couldn't play it more than an hour before my head and stomach started to hurt.
  • PrazVT
    edited February 2011
    Options
    It definitely has a much different feel than games like COD. I thought it was pretty intense and there is always a sense of weight with your character.

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I have it on order from newegg as well as a battle rifle for the move... should be here any day now and I will review it once it comes in and I get a few hours of time to play.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited February 2011
    Options
    grimmace19 wrote: »
    I have it on order from newegg as well as a battle rifle for the move... should be here any day now and I will review it once it comes in and I get a few hours of time to play.

I look forward to this review buddy
  • dbaldus
    dbaldus Posts: 730
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'm picking it up tomorrow after work and will be playing it all weekend.

For those looking to see how it compares to Killzone 2, there is a single player demo on the Playstation Network that you can try out.

IMO, the controls in KZ2 were awful, felt really "floaty". KZ3 still feels less precise than games like COD, but the controls definitely seem to have been tightened up a bit since 2. I could barely play KZ2 without getting really frustrated with the controls, but I loved the KZ3 single and multiplayer demos so I'm picking it up for sure!

If anyone else picks it up, feel free to add me to your friends list.

PSN name: BA11Z1N1

2-channel
    Squeezebox Touch| MSB Analog DAC | Audio Research Ref 40 Anniversary Edition| Pass Labs X350.8 | Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Home Theater
    Arcam AVR 550 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Aon 3 | JL Audio Fathom F113v2
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The demo was fun. I do hope they allow some customization of the move controls in the final version. I found playing with the move controller to be a mixed bag so far. Movement of the character is far easier with the six-axis. Could be I'm just getting used to it. But without a look thumstick, you have to move the gun in a slightly exaggerated motion to get the screen to pan.

However, aiming and shooting is great. You just aim at a spot on the screen with the rifle and shoot (Love the battle rifle btw, you can configure it into anything from a rifle to a hand gun, althought the barrel can get in the way of the camera if you don't disconnect it.) Didn't even need to zoom to get kills with the standard rifle.

A second look thumbstick on the side of the main wand (where you would hold the barrel with your left hand) would have made the move perfect for fps. Or maybe pressing a button and having the screen pan as you move the gun for aiming. As it is now, there's a learning curve and probably more than a little frustration at not being able to spin around smoothly.
  • PrazVT
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Using the Move controller sounds interesting. I would agree that in general KZ2 movement took some getting used to. Definitely not as sharp as COD.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • cheddar
    edited February 2011
    Options
    PrazVT wrote: »
    Using the Move controller sounds interesting.

To get the most out of it, you really need a gun accessory that holds the nav controller too. The battle rifle holds the nav controller in the trigger handle so you use your right thumb to move. I've also used another that holds it in a forward handle (like a sub-machine gun) so you can use your left thumb on the stick.
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I have been playing it. It really takes advantage of the surround sound. Spin in circles when some one is talking. They voice will circle around the room with you.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited February 2011
    Options
    jbooker82 wrote: »
    I have been playing it. It really takes advantage of the surround sound. Spin in circles when some one is talking. They voice will circle around the room with you.

I really loved the audio in kz2 and was one of my first experiences playing playing a game with 7.1 using my polk rti setup .....awesome
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I just have a 5.1 and the aduio is really enjoyable. I would recomend the game.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • grimmace19
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Killzone and the Battle Rifle from amazon both showed up today. As promised here are my initial impressions.

Because the battle rifle showed up before the game, I have had more time to use that and tested it out with Time Crisis. The gun is GREAT. It can break down into many pieces to be used as a SMG, Assault Rifle, or pistol. It is fairly sturdy and shouldn't have any durability issues unless you play with a lot of anger ie. slamming it on the ground like a child. The size and weight help in stability for the games more so than a pistol much like a real gun.

On to Killzone. I've only played a few minutes but here are the initial reactions. The graphics look great and gameplay is very smooth online. However, the move controls are going to be very tough to get used to. There are a lot of people like myself struggling to move around the maps because of the control scheme the move offers. The combination of forward/side movements with the joystick by your trigger finger and the panning ability with the gun takes A LOT of patients. There doesn't seem to be a lot of custom button configuration for it so this might pose a problem as I get better and can't map out a better button setup. HOWEVER, the aiming with the move was very accurate and should make it very easy to mow people down without ever having to zoom in with your weapon. If the game gets too frustrating with the move it shouldn't be a reason to not buy it but to rather just use the normal controller and save the guns for the rail games.

I'm sure after a few more hours tonight I will have a better review but this is my first killzone experience and I'm not familiar with their styles of gameplay other than a team death match experience.
  • cheddar
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yep, pretty much my experience with the move controller. Which is a mistake, IMO, since it's so much better for aiming. All could be solved if they just let you use a second navigation controller to give you the second thumb stick back. It would be easy on a modular gun like the battle rifle to sell a slide on front attachment for the second nav.
  • grimmace19
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ^ I said the same thing about a double nav controller to my buddy. I think after a few more hours movements should be pretty good though. I remember how much trouble I had learning how to use both sticks on playstation after I got so used to N64.
  • cheddar
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I did notice my movements were getting better near the end of the demo. Still, seems like a no brainer to at least make it another option. What's the worst that could happen, dual navs become popular and accesory makers get to sell more guns and parts?
  • mnap100
    mnap100 Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The sound in this game is pretty awesome.