Valuation of old EPI M50s?

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm looking at a pair of EPI M50 bookshelves right now, and am wondering what exactly they're worth. I'm assuming the drivers are in good condition, and on the back there's a sticker that says "Demonstration Model" and "Acoustically Perfect". Dunno if they're something special, or if this was just a marketing gimmick.

Anyone have any idea? I've tried eBay and Google to no avail. Thanks,

nadams
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2004
    What's the driver compliment? I've heard some large EPI with a soft dome, and some older models with an inverted dome, and they were very easy on the ears, a treat.

What are they asking for them?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nadams
    edited January 2004
    Not sure what drivers it has in it. I'll have a chance to look at them next weekend. I should be able to get them for no more than $30 for the pair. I'm getting them no matter what, I just wanted to know what they're worth

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2004
    EPI, reasonably clean, fully functional - absolutley worth $30.

How's that?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nadams
    edited February 2004
    Got the EPIs this weekend. Ended up paying $40, just to be nice to my GFs brother....

So far, they're impressing me. One of them is, unfortunately, missing it's grill, however that let me check out the drivers. I was pleased to find that the main driver is a 6 1/2" butyl-rubber surrounded midbass. No dry-rot here....

The tweeter is an interesting design, being a paper cone with an inverted treated-cloth surround. I've heard it described as having some kind of air suspension, but I can't remember exactly what they called it.

The sound is very impressive for such a small bookshelf speaker (sealed design, no less). The bass is lacking, but I don't have my system tuned to the speakers yet. The midrange has plenty of punch and seems to fit right in. The tweeters come off sounding quite crisp, however they do seem too bright sometimes. Again, I don't have it quite dialed in.

After I get to play with them some more, I'll clear up some of those spots, and maybe post a few pics so you can tell what they actually look like.
    Ludicrous gibs!