Jeremie*sweet theater*

scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Hi, I must say I am very impressed with your theater. Looks like YOU did your homework. We have many of the same ideals.
Both have the same reciever, center, sub., center rear and my starter projector was the Infocus425z. Sold it for the same price I bought it for (on Ebay-no problem).I recently went to bi-level seating in mine. Cool theme --maybe some tapestries to help the acoustics--I have some with your same theme. Was this a spare room? How do you like the Infocus? Can you imagine your theater with a 34 inch tv--now? Ha! Enjoy and congrates on the great setup.:cool:
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    sweet indeed, nice set-up man!:D
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    Also your HT looks very comfy. Most important. People put actual movie theater seats in there HT's. Ya the one's we can't stand -too small--- no were to put your feet-- killing the back. What the hell is that about? Comfy----Comfy---Home --sweet-- theater. :)
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited February 2002
    thanks guys for all the nice responses, to give a little info on the theater. The room is in the basement and is 15x30 with three levels of seating. The first two chair and ottomans are on the floor, the second level has a sofa and is about 7ft deep so there is plenty of room for legs and the next level is about 11ft deep. the first riser is made of 2X6 and the second are 2X12. Each sofa has two bass shakers in it and each chair has one. The projector is an infocus lp340V. I looked at a bunch of projectors, but could not pass up the picture quality and price of the infocus. I believe the picture is better than most rear projectors once calibrated correctly and with a filter on it.. As far as acoustics goes, believe it or not the room is very dead, not sure if the sofas do it and posters on the wall but there is no echo at all. At least that I can hear. I have a 32" tv up stairs that I watch everyday. The theater if lucky gets 3-5 hrs a week on it. Any other questions let me know, i will post more pics up soon.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2002
    Yes, whoa! Awesome setup! I love the three levels of seating, that is so cool!

Too bad about the PHANTOM MENACE poster, tho. :D

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • BrandonW
    BrandonW Posts: 57
    edited February 2002
    Good deal!

If i could offer a suggestion though (always gotta put my .02 in)

Bring that front wall out about a 1.5 foot and sink those speakers into it. Would look pretty kwal in your theater! Other than that you did a damn fine job layin yours out. Wish everyone had the common since to go with real furniture than theater seats...

Kudos
    Brandon

OOPS forgot to add one more thing, add some darker colors to that room!!!! Safari is nice, but darker colors will help keep down teh light on the screen. BTW what screen are you using there?
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    Wish everyone had the common since to go with real furniture than theater seats...

Where the did this come from?

Just because you do not like (or use) theater seats in your home theater has absolutly nothing to do with common sense. Some people actually like them and use them.

So basically your saying I do not have common sense because I have actual theater seats. Nice insult there Brandon. Time to come down off that hi-horse of yours.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jeremie
    edited February 2002
    First, the reason that I did not put the speakers into a cavity inside the walls was so that I would have room for expansion incase I went to a larger speaker. Plus I wanted to give each speaker approx 1.5 ft behind them for the ports in back. Second, the rope lights, can lights and sconces are all on seperate dimmers. I did not have pics of the rope lights under each tier and the front tier. But next round of photos will have them. The reason I chose sofa and chair were my wife did not want theater chairs because she feels that they are uncomfortable. I originally was going to purchase 12 seats but ended up with the two sofas and two chairs, plus it is easier putting the bass shakers in chairs vs the theater seats. The lighting in the room is actually dim, I had two 500watt halogen lights in there when I took the pictures because it wasnt bright enough in there for the photos to turn out. Any more questions ask, i will hope to provide construction pics soon.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    ROn-p,

I really didn't mean to say it that way...what I was getting at is some people are caught up in the whole 'theater seat' thing vs what would better serve them. Can you honestly say those theater chairs are as comfy as say a lazy boy?, barchalouger?(sp?) ect ect...I would guess not, unless you have a back of steel, and no feeling. Now what people can get over is another arguement, for instance, my mustang and lightning leave much to be desired concerning ride quality, i endure it for its other benifits though, but i would never say is as comfortable as a caddy...

I just get the 'i want theater seats' thing all the time and draw weary of convicing people otherwise...I have installed many sets and pulled them out a few months after, and no one thus far has kept them. Thats not to say they are not right for YOUR theater, as its YOURS and should be as YOU want it...thats what I can't stress enough.

"So basically your saying I do not have common sense because I have actual theater seats. Nice insult there Brandon. Time to come down off that hi-horse of yours. "

...Is this not an opinion forum??? KMA dude, if you disagree with my comments then thats fine and dandy, but at least give me reasons why theater seating is better, I can't name one except 'well it looks like a theater' I have found only one brand of seating i like that 'theater like' and thats cinema tech..., other than that You can keep them...you in the market for more? i got two sets of them sitting at the shop that i'd sell for cost (which isn't cheap, the OTHER reason i hate these things)

I actually thought I would get along with you, but now its obvious you like to blow things outta proportion, and would rather flame than explain...

Brandon
    "up on my high horse looking down on the people using theater seating"

Jeremie:
    Makes perfect sense, I hope you don't think I was TELLING you what you should do, only making suggestions. I think you did a damn fine job thus far, and can appreciate the work you put forth. What screen are you using? I always go with a darker flat type of paint in theaters, only because they help during movies...you can turn lights near couches up brighter and it doesn't affect the screen as bad (not as many things to refect off of)
    Take it easy and have fun with it!
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited February 2002
    when i decided to upgrade my seating, i had a few options. i could have either shelled out nearly $250 per chair for some dinky little "theater" seat, or i could have spent nearly $3000 on some quality la-z-boy furniture.

as a person who values comfort over anything else when watching a good movie, i chose the la-z-boy. sure, there's a 9-13 week wait on the sofa, but atleast i know that i'm getting something of quality build, built just for me.

i've already picked up my sweet burgandy leather recliner, and i've got another 1-5 weeks on my matching, reclining sofa.

sure, i could have spent that extra money on something like a new hd-tv, but you upgrade what's most important to you first. i don't give a **** how big your screen is or what kind of speakers you have, if you're not comfortable where you're sitting, then... well, not trying to flame on ron-p or jump on brandon's little bandwagon, i just felt that upgrading my 30 year old sofa was more important than upgrading a 6 month old 27" television.

la-z-boy furniture is great, no doubt about it... but what do they hold against a good old fashioned theater seat?

ron-p has chosen to go with the actual movie theater feel... big television, polk speakers, and awesome refurbished theater seats (sticky floors and screaming kids optional), and i think his setup kicks some major ****!

...so why can't we all just get along? let's go back to flaming micah for a few days. after all, that is what he's getting paid for!

joe :D
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2002
    i just love my natuzzi it is so awsome i all most had to go with a front projector untill i found my mitsubishi. maybe i will get a dlp projector in 5 years ps what did you spend for your projector? i was looking at them and to get the same qulaty as a hd rear i would have to shell out 10k
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    Actually Infocus makes a DLP that has a 'odd' combo chip in it that does both 4:3 and 16:9 and retails for $5000.00 US, pretty awesome deal IMO. a step up would be the new marantz dlp, or DILA from any manufacture...and lastly a 3 gun, with farouja scaling...(I have been doing 3 chip dlp's instead of 3 guns anymore...)
    Brandon
  • jeremie
    edited February 2002
    If you are talking about the Infocus LS110, from what I heard it is pretty awesome. For what I paid for my 340V I am very happy with it. I will put it up against most FP and RP systems. It all matters if you use the right screen and filters on the lenses.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    My apologies if I took it the wrong way Brandon. I just hate it when people generalize with statements like that. I do not want to wage war here.

There are a few, like myself, that actually like the theater seat look and feel. It is not for all, even maybe just a few, but it is what I wanted.
    but at least give me reasons why theater seating is better, I can't name one except 'well it looks like a theater'
    My theater room is small and so was my budget for building it. After all, I have a family to support so HT is not near the top for a big budget. The room is only 10'x12' which is small (extra bedroom). I had a couch in there, but could only fit 3 comfortably. With the theater seats, I can get 7 in comfortably. If I had lazy-boy stuff, I'd only get 1 row in of 3, maybe 4 if I was lucky. With theater seats, I can get 2 rows in. I completely refurbed the seats and made them really soft and comfy. Sure, there not top-o-line $1000 seats, but they work and seating for a double feature is no problem. I wanted to get as close to the movie theater look as I could, the seats make it. If I had a bigger room, things would be different. Theater seats fit perfectly. So, there are my basic reasons. Two weeks ago, at my HT meet, I had 9 people in there. With any other type of seating that would not have been possible.

Are they the most comfortable, no. Are they decently comfortable, yes. But, just like you with your Mustang and Lightning, I sacrificed some benefits for others.

Thanks for the great comments Joe.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • goingganzo
    edited February 2002
    but the olny bad thing for me with my couch and love seat is that i can olny fit 5 people on them.
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    Ron,

ahh 10x12 that explains why it looks small, cus it IS small =)

In your case theater seating could be ideal, I honestly don't have alot of customer that a: want to put a big theater in a small room, and b: they may have a small room, but only a few people over to watch movies/games.

Definitly don't want a war, just don't appreciate it when people misconstru me trying to be helpful as having an ego. I will be the first to admit, I know about a nickels' worth of a 20 about most things, just enough to get me in trouble...

Take it easy
    Brandon

PS still up on my high horse, looking down on people with theater seating.... *laugh* sorry couldn't resist =)
  • goingganzo
    edited February 2002
    jermie how did you atach the bass shakers and was it expencive i saw one called the but kicker 2 on a tech show it was 1000 with amp and how much did you pay for your shakers and amp?
  • jeremie
    edited February 2002
    With the six bass shakers and amp I paid about 175. Bought the amp from parts express 125.00 and the bass shakers from another place online cant remember the name for 50 for all six brand new, being clearanced. I have the amp about 1/3 the way up because is shakes to much.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    That was a very good price. A couple shakers and a 1000 watt amp I haven't seen under $800 (extra wiring, power, install time)and that is why I don't understand why people use them in a mid-priced HT's. Just use that $ to buy an extra sub or a larger sub. I get some pretty good shaking in my HT without the buttkickers and get the added sound also. :cool:
  • BrandonW
    edited February 2002
    yeah but you cant tell people you have butt kickers in the seats =)

Brandon