LP question

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
This may be a very basic question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. This evening, I wanted to listen to a certain song on the LP of Cat Stevens' "Teaser and the Firecat", so I dropped the needle right at the beginning of the song. Well, it didn't exactly sound good..... the pitch was all over the place and wasn't staying steady at all. So I moved to a different song on the record, same thing. Tried turning the TT off and back on, no luck. Finally I tried playing it from the beginning of the side, and everything went fine, all through the record.

What, exactly, is going on?
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2004
    Maybe the belt has hardened into the static shape it has been in for awhile? Maybe the motor lubrication has sludged up and cleared out on its own? Maybe a combination of above and the lp has a slight warp or the hole is not in the center? Maybe a drop of oil has dripped somewhere on the belt path?

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • nadams
    edited February 2004
    After thinking about it for a bit, I think it might have something to do with the stupid automatic return thing (which doesn't work anyway). Not sure, though, I'll have to dig in a little deeper. Thanks for your suggestions, madmax
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Non-constant platter speed for whatever reason (including those Max listed).

What TT do you have?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • nadams
    edited February 2004
    The TT is a Marantz TT140. The belt is in good shape, I know this because it had come off during transport. I don't know that there might be some oil or something on it. Like I said, the TT is supposed to have an automatic return, but it doesn't work. It might be causing some undue problems. I think i'll completely unhook it, since it doesn't work anyway...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    If the belt came off, it may be stretched a bit and slipping.. doesn't take much.

You can try cleaning it, the pulley and the platter rim the belt rides on with denatured alcohol, NOT isopropyl. Following this dust the dried belt with talcum powder.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD