“As things stand now, digital music has failed.”

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,878
edited January 2011 in Music & Movies
From the New York Times:

By ERIC PFANNER
Published: January 23, 2011

PARIS — After another year of plunging music sales, record company executives are starting to contemplate the unthinkable: The digital music business, held out as the future of the industry, may already be as big as it is going to get.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, a trade group based in London, said last week that sales of music in digital form had risen only 6 percent worldwide in 2010, even as the overall music market had shrunk 8 percent or 9 percent, extending a decade-long decline.

In each of the past two years, the rate of increase in digital revenue has approximately halved. If that trend continues, digital sales could top out at less than $5 billion this year, about a third of the overall music market but many billions of dollars short of the amount needed to replace long-gone sales of compact discs.

“Music’s first digital decade is behind us and what do we have?” said Mark Mulligan, an analyst at Forrester Research. “Not a lot of progress.”

“We are at one of the most worrying stages yet for the industry,” he continued. “As things stand now, digital music has failed.”

Music executives disagree, saying there is hope, as long as they can come to grips with piracy, which according to the industry federation accounts for the vast majority of music distributed online.

Stronger measures to crack down on unauthorized copying are taking effect in a number of countries, executives note, and even as the authorities wield a heavier stick, the complementary carrots are appearing, too, in the form of innovative digital services.

“The challenging environment continues, but we have some grounds for optimism,” said Frances Moore, chief executive of the music federation.

Ms. Moore said the recent introduction of tough anti-piracy laws in South Korea and France, which authorize cutting off the Internet connection of repeat offenders, showed that stricter enforcement could persuade listeners to seek out legal alternatives to unauthorized file-sharing services.

In South Korea, where the music business has long been blighted by piracy, digital music sales rose 14 percent in the first half of last year, after the new law went into effect in 2009, the federation said. The first account suspensions occurred in the autumn, and the group said the publicity surrounding the crackdown should help convert more consumers.

Max Hole, chief operating officer of Universal Music Group International, said his company, the biggest of the four major record companies, was so encouraged by the signs of a turnaround in South Korea that it had decided to start investing in the development of new music acts again, after suspending operations in South Korea several years ago.

France has also implemented a so-called graduated response system. In the French system, cutting Internet access is preceded by several warnings. While the authorities say they have sent out hundreds of thousands of e-mails to suspected copyright cheats, nobody’s connection has yet been cut.

Record company executives said they were also encouraged by recent legal action in the United States to cripple the file-sharing service LimeWire, as well as by the progress in the U.S. Senate of a bill to give law enforcement officials more power to shut down file-sharing services.

In Europe, the industry has notched legal victories against other sites accused of abetting piracy, including The Pirate Bay and Mininova.

Industry executives say they are encouraged by the development of new digital services, particularly those that embrace the principles of cloud computing. These services can provide unlimited amounts of music to listeners on demand, through a variety of devices, from mobile phones to televisions.

“The television is a great opportunity,” said Thomas Hesse, head of the digital business at Sony Music Entertainment. “We haven’t innovated in the living room for many years.”

Around the world, 10 million people have already signed up for subscription-based online services from Spotify, Rdio and Deezer, some of which have attracted additional millions of users with free, advertising-supported services. Many executives hope the growth of offerings like these can reduce the industry’s dependence on sales of individual tracks through digital stores like Apple iTunes, a model that has attracted little interest from young music fans, particularly outside the United States.

Yet some services that were hailed as potential iTunes challengers when they were introduced are fading from the scene. Nokia, the mobile phone manufacturer, said this month that it was sharply scaling back a service that gives buyers of certain phones free, unlimited music downloads. Sky, the British pay-television and broadband provider, recently canceled a subscription music service.

Music executives say Internet service providers hold the key to solving the piracy problems and helping the music companies recoup lost revenue. For the most part, providers have balked at taking stronger action against file-sharing, saying they do not want to snoop on their customers.

But one provider in Ireland, Eircom, recently started instituting its own version of a graduated response system. Customers who illegally download music face a “graduated response” similar to the one in France, but they can avoid the threat of disconnection by using a new music service from Eircom that offers free, unlimited streaming.

Mr. Mulligan said tougher enforcement would succeed only if music companies and other rights holders, including collecting agencies that represent artists and composers, embraced digital services that met the needs and interests of consumers, particularly teenagers and young adults.

Rights holders have grown more flexible as industry sales have collapsed, but they remain reluctant to license their music to some services. For example, Spotify, a popular streaming service in Europe, has yet to sign the record company deals it needs to open a U.S. site. Meanwhile, Internet companies like YouTube have sometimes struggled to reach agreements to show music videos in Europe.

The industry has also balked at the unlimited MP3 format, which comes with no copy restrictions, allowing people to share music with friends or provide soundtracks for their own videos, or post songs to social networking sites.

With growth in digital revenue slowing nearly to a standstill, analysts say, it is no surprise that talk of mergers and buyouts is again swirling around some of the Big Four music companies — Universal, Sony, Warner Music Group and EMI. Warner, for example, is said to have hired bankers to explore a sale of the company or a purchase of EMI.

“What has been keeping labels afloat has been the digital story,” said Mr. Mulligan, of Forrester Research. “If, all of a sudden, what they have been telling the market is the future turns out to be a failure, that radically changes the conversation.”

Lack of talent is the problem, you idiots.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2011
    Options
    “As things stand now, digital music has failed.”
    Digital music has not failed. It is running full steam. The quaility of the digital format, and the devices used to play them are getting better. The record companies are not getting the revenue they want due to all the piracy. The artists are not getting the money they want due to the vast amount of piracy. CD's are outdated. Who wants to pack them up and take them with them? Time for an updated media.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Naturally they would rather blame piracy, than admit that all the supposed talent that comes out today all sound the same & that their pricing is simply too high.

Add in a slumped economy & naturally things are going to go down.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited January 2011
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I agree......how many times have you been burned by a band where you may have heard one or two of their songs on the radio, go out and buy the CD for $15-$20 just to have the other 10 songs suck ****.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited January 2011
    Options

and I thought it was just me. :cool:
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited January 2011
    Options
    In terms of numbers, there would be much much more music fans in this world today than, say, when the Beatles were 'live', weren't there? So there's already a bigger market, with the current stock of talent.

And when you say 'increasing the quality of talent', to whose standard? I think the current generation doesn't seem to have any complaints on that department.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not keen on today's trends either, but making the music cater to 'us' would probably negatively affect their sales even further; given how small audiophile communities are compared to the masses :)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I agree......how many times have you been burned by a band where you may have heard one or two of their songs on the radio, go out and buy the CD for $15-$20 just to have the other 10 songs suck ****.

I find the download, and if I like it I get the CD or pay for the hi res download.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2011
    Options
    F1nut wrote:

Well...there's always Lady GaGa. :rolleyes:
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think both problems have been accurately hit upon; fewer highly talented bands are attempting to sell into a market that is willing to download pirated copies of music rather than pay for it.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • HHStuart
    HHStuart Posts: 263
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I see two factors as starting this trend.
    1) The ease and convenience of downloading.
    2) The ridiculous price on CD's. Too much was going to the record company's overhead and not enough to the artist's.

If the perception remains that the record company is taking too big a slice, even honest people will balk at overpriced CD's.
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83
  • DanAckerman
    DanAckerman Posts: 70
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Industry always blames Piracy. They have been doing it for the last 20 years at least, nothing new. It's an easy target. The problem is that most people who pirate music weren't going to buy it anyway. Electronic formats have just allowed people more of a chance to sample an album before they purchase it. If you find out it has only one song you care about, you buy that song instead of the whole album. They industry hates that and that is what they really want to shut down.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I find new and great music every other day, and download it legally. Problem solved for me. I wish they would release more hi-res hardcopy SACD, XRCD, MOFI, etc stuff that actually matters but in the end its still a niche market and will continue to be so. Do you really think there is a multi-million dollar following of classical music pressings by people between 20-40? No, it barely exists yet they keep on cutting great copies of some crap I could care less about.

Lack of talent? Well, If your segmented in your habits, style or genre...I bet it is.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited January 2011
    Options

I think you're just listening to the wrong artists. :wink: I don't think the pop talent of today are any worse than pop talent of the last 60 years. In my mind it's all garbage. Just as you had to wade through the sugary bs then, you have to do so now. It's just more difficult to do now since the industry has become so broad, as any progressive market would.

Theres a lot of great music out there, you just have to be willing to find it, and open to change.

Thanks for the article! It was a good one, and very telling. It'll be interesting to see how the industry comes out the other side of this very turbulent time.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2011
    Options
    He listens to 10,000 artists from the 70's & 80's and 10-20 from the 90's. I'm sure it a wee bit exagerrated but it's a pretty good guess on his library. Older people are the ones who think the industry has no talent.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2011
    Options

Agree 100% Jesse. I've spent the last 5 years buying "older" music.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Maybe some of the "older" people compare the talent of today against music of the past and find it lacking. If you look at the demographics of who is buying the music of some of these 60s-70s-80s artists I believe it is very much the "younger" people that are discovering their music for the first time and finding it appealing. I happen to be around a lot of 20 somethings because of my kids and 30 somethings at work and some of them lament about the lack of current musical substance. I said in another thread that greatness in music stands the test of time. I firmly believe that.

I think there may be talent out there, but the music industry has become so controlling of how the content is developed a lot of good stuff never makes it through the marketing machine. Some of your best music can be found on websites and venues that never make it to the recording companies. If it doesn't have flash, or a hook, or something outlandish to market they are not very interested. Lady Gaga is a good example...musically she is average at best IMO. Would Katy Perry be where she is if she wasn't so smokin’ HOT (better than Gaga I think...but great?). Justin Beiber...PLEASE...:rolleyes:

This discussion is about the talent the RECORDING INDUSTRY is developing/marketing/selling. Take a look at the Grammy nominees.

The Grammy site says:
    The recording industry's most prestigious award, the GRAMMY, is presented annually by The Recording Academy. A GRAMMY is awarded by The Recording Academy's voting membership to honor excellence in the recording arts and sciences. It is truly a peer honor, awarded by and to artists and technical professionals for artistic or technical achievement

Is this the best there is? According to the INDUSTRY it is. How many of the folks that spend money on good gear to listen to good music (like CP members) think they are the best?

Is there talent today? Sure. Is the recording industry finding, developing and recording most of it? IMO no.

Therein lies the problem. Not piracy. (again IMO)

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,158
    edited January 2011
    Options
    nap wrote: »
    and I thought it was just me. :cool:

Yep.... you are the problem for everything.:rolleyes::tongue::wink:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited January 2011
    Options
    plenty of musical talent out there.. just need some talent to find it..

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'd say all told on this forum we spend more time and energy talking about talented speakers and audiophile equipment than we do about talented artists and recording studio / engineers.

I'm sure we all have our favorite artists and genres. And I don't doubt we're willing to give new artists a listen.

But, - big butt, where are you and I going to discover new artists? The broadcast radio stations have a "play list". Always have and always will. I suppose the best radio stations to listen to to hear new and emerging artists has been and probably still is college fm stations.

i'm just saying

wayne
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2011
    Options
    wayne3burk wrote: »
    I'd say all told on this forum we spend more time and energy talking about talented speakers and audiophile equipment than we do about talented artists and recording studio / engineers.

I'm sure we all have our favorite artists and genres. And I don't doubt we're willing to give new artists a listen.

But, - big butt, where are you and I going to discover new artists? The broadcast radio stations have a "play list". Always have and always will. I suppose the best radio stations to listen to to hear new and emerging artists has been and probably still is college fm stations.

i'm just saying

wayne

I find my new music on Satellite, friends and the Internet. College radio plays new stuff but for the most part, commercial radio has nothing to offer anymore.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2011
    Options
    That's exactly it. It's all about choosing to remain active in discovering new music. And most of what I discover comes by word of mouth. Simply flipping through the FM dial will rarely (if ever) yield any satisfying results and I have to wonder if it hasn't been that way for a long, long time. You say Lady Ga Ga. I say Bay City Rollers.

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't much of the music the older generations hold so dear possibly discovered during listening sessions in a friend's basement. Firing up the record player (and possibly other things) and talking about that "bad **** guitar solo/drum solo that kicks in after the third chorus"?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I blame "American Idol"... :biggrin:
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • shack
    edited January 2011
    Options
    jgido759 wrote: »
    I blame "American Idol"... :biggrin:

Well...Adam Lambert is one of the Grammy nominees.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's not a lack of talent as much as it is the RIAA and MPAA sending their lawyers after children, old ladies and priests.

The other thing is that many newer artists are releasing their own albums outside of the typical, mainstream avenues. They go through either their websites or through indie labels that don't report numbers to the RIAA or the IFPI for that matter. The only way the industry heavyweights see these albums is if someone shows it to them or they stumble on it.

I think the illegal downloading has become more prevalent too in rebellion of the RIAA, MPAA and other industry heavyweights and their hypocritical lawsuits shouting that "The Great Unwashed" are stealing their intellectual property while in the background, they are shafting these artists that they are so valiantly claiming that they are defending.

It's really difficult to track the illegal downloads too. They can kill one or two sites like Mininova and IsoHunt but for every one they smash in courts, 30 pop up to replace the demand and they are equally untraceable.

For the most part though, I think this incessant legal action against their customer base by the industry giants has done more more to damage their image and hurt their sales than any level of talent or lack thereof. There are many more ways to access good music than buying a CD and they are out there. I think more people are getting fed up with it all and going straight to the artist. I know the last couple of CD's I bought were directly from the artists. They were at shows I went to at jazz clubs and they were selling their albums on their own independent labels. It's really not that difficult to press and promote your own albums now. The hardest part is getting quality studio time.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited January 2011
    Options

Sort of reminds me of the 60s and 70s when the same thing happened buying an album. :wink:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • shack
    edited January 2011
    Options
    BlueFox wrote:
    Sort of reminds me of the 60s and 70s when the same thing happened buying an album. :wink:

Not true IMO. The late 60s and 70s was the age of Album Oriented Rock stations. To get any play on these stations outside of the "top 40" they needed to have good content from start to finish. Most of the good artists were putting their best work in an album. Maybe only 45-50 minutes worth of music at a time...but it was generally good throughout. In fact, for many artists, my favorite cuts are those that were not billed as hits off an album.

• bopicasso
    bopicasso Posts: 878
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I completely disagree with lack of talent. I discover new bands every week that are very talented. IMO music in the last ten years is just as good as the classic rock era that most people on here prefer.

Top 40 is mostly pop music directed towards the mass population. Most of the time these artists do not have the most talent or best voices. Top 40 is usually love songs or dance music, which are not to showcase the talent but are songs that are catchy and create a buzz.

The reason people claim lack of talent is because they are not open minded to the progression of music and choose to hold on to the past genres that are slowly changing every year.

There will always be inspired, talented musicians, as there was throughout human history..
    Living Room setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, Krell KAV 300i, PS Audio DL III DAC, Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u, Dynaudio Audience 120C+, SVS 25/31PCI, B-P-T Clean Power Center, Ps3, Panny 50" S1 Plasma, Tekline speaker cables, Audio Art interconnects, and Pangea power cables.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The market changed, the music buying audience and population changed, technology changed, available channels for distribution changed ............... yet the labels and record companies kept trying to use the same old business plan and strategy. I'm not sure the downward trend in the music business, and keep in mind that we haven't discussed how they measure that, has much to do with physical format, downloads, piracy, lack of talent, etc.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    He listens to 10,000 artists from the 70's & 80's and 10-20 from the 90's. I'm sure it a wee bit exagerrated but it's a pretty good guess on his library. Older people are the ones who think the industry has no talent.

I'm younger, and i would be inclined to agree. But i maintain that to my tastes, the industry "peaked" in the 90s.

I can still find new stuff that i like. But it's becoming few and far in between.

It may be a matter of that there IS talent out there, just not in genres that i'm interested in. Music evolves, taste to a certain extent, does not evolve nearly as quickly.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The market is a-changing...

1. Big labels are losing grip on their monopoly. They used to have strong grip on the strategic posts (distribution channels, airwaves, etc), they're late going into digital distribution so now there are many 3rd party middlemen (Amazon, Apple) eating into their profits and having a say in the market's direction.

2. Digital distribution enables track by track purchase... this is where a band's quality issue would show up on their financial bottomline. In the past, you're forced to pay the full admission price. Not anymore.

3. I bet there are more music genres in the market now than ever was in our history. This kind of market segmentation is probably a logistic nightmare and works against the economy of scale that big companies capitalize on.

4. Easier to master and distribute music than ever. These create a sizeable (and still growing) indie scene, and they basically lower a big label's value on negotiations with new artists.

5. Piracy definitely matters, though probably not in the scale that the RIAA has been trying to portray it to the media.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,135
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The COO of Universal Music Group Int'l. is actually named Max Hole...!?