WTB some bookshelf speakers

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited February 2004 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
ok.

Anyone looking to clean out their closets of some decent bookshelf speakers? They don't have to be in mint condition.

I"m building a two channel rig in my computer room. and i'm in need of some bookshelf speakers. I don't want tiney, tiny ones either.

Ones i'd be interested are like Monitor 5's, S10's, RT35i's, or 38's, or Monitor 7's, something in that range.. i don't know all the older models of mid sized Polks that are out.. those are just the ones to come to mind. I'm also very open to other brands.. but really not very interested in Bose, Sony, or any el cheapo sounding ones

things i don't want though.. plastic ones, ones with very small drivers.. ie like 4" woofer??? not for me.

things i would like though.. are decent bass... as this will not have a subwoofer in this 2 ch system.

finally. i'm looking for ones on the cheaper side.. like $100 and below for the pair.

Clean out your closets your speakers pimps. :D

I've been looking at different auctions.. but haven't found anything i like yet. either they're to big.. and weigh like 50lbs each. or they are to small... and i know the sound wouldn't be what i'm looking for. It's tough to buy speakers without hearing them.. so i'm asking you all for a little help in recommending some you might want to unload to me for a decent price.

thanks guys for any and all help.

Al
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Russ was looking to move his KLH 17's... They might do you nicely...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2004
    The KLH 17's aren't going anywhere. I had those out as a consolation offer for you, incase you didn't win your Model 5 auction - you could take SOMETHING KLH vintage home.

I am taking some Boston A70 woofs in today for new foam, that should be ready by weeks-end. 2 way sealed box, 8" woof, 1" Silk dome. Cabs are a little rough on the back / bottom, but still very presentable.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited February 2004
    Hey bud,

I have a pair of Boston A40 series II's that I could part with.
    I got 'em from BDT several months back and they are only seing sporadic use. They are pretty smallish cabinet-wise (I'll measure them if you want) and are a 2 way with a 6 1/2" woof and 1" tweet. Respectable but not clubbing bass response (they go about as low as (to my half-deaf ears) by rti28's but not as low as my 38's. For whatever that is worth. Cherry finish and a couple of dings on a couple of corners (I got 'em that way). Foam surrounds are great and they sound pretty darn good with the right amplification (to me they sound best on, well, mid-fi gear (I have an old Sansui early 80's integrated that I have been running them with). They also seemed to mate pretty well with my Yammie RXV620. Not so well with my Audiosource amp2.
    I'm trying to remember what I paid BDT for them. $60 plus shipping rings a bell. I would go $50 plus shipping if you are interested.

Woody
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited February 2004
    You know I just read your post again. Looks like you may be looking for Polk and only Polk. Oh well.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • mgd99
    mgd99 Posts: 84
    edited February 2004
    danger

Saw these Monitor 7's on e-bay. Still low ($33.99) and one day left to the auction . No affiliation, I already own Monitor10's (picture below)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3074846316&category=14993

Pioneer VSX-D912 AVR
    Monitor 10A's Fronts (circa 1980)
    CSi30 Center
    PSW450 Sub
    RTi28's Side Surrounds
    Scientific Atlanta Explorer 31000HD CATV box
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2004
    mgd99 - Thanks for driving the price up...I was going to bid on those - been watching them since they were posted. Oh well...some one else would have if you hadn't.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mgd99
    edited February 2004
    LOL sorry. Didn't know you were looking. I'm guessing there is going to be alot of sniping going on with those.

I am looking at something now (shhhhhhhhh) and have a feeling the price will shoot up quickly in the last minute.
  • danger boy
    edited February 2004
    thanks for the heads up guys... those Monitor 7's do look nice.. but $50 for shipping seems a little steep doesn't it? i'm about as far from FL as one can be.

Not saying that this person overcharges for shipping.. but i know some people do.

I just purchased a Sansui digital AM/FM tuner.. the dude charged $22 for shipping.. weight on a tuner is about 5 lbs only.. I also just purchased a Yamaha stereo amp CA-610II, heavy. that only cost $19 for shipping. I hate those people who overcharge for shipping. I guess i should ask next time before buying anything online what shipping costs will be. :confused:
  • mgd99
    edited February 2004
    I had a PSW450 shipped from Fla (total packing wieght 60lbs) for $35 by UPS. I know my Monitor 10's are heavy. Check UPS's website, use the monitor7's dimensions and weight from the Polk site, and add a few inches to each dimension for packing materials. That should give you a good idea of the package size and weight. I assume they would be shipped seperately otherwise that would be a pretty big box. Maybe $25 per box is fair.......definitely kills the total price of the deal however.
  • danger boy
    edited February 2004
    true it does kill the deal somewhat.. i may look here closer to home. I live in the Northwest.. far, far away from FL.

Now if only Russ would get his death grip off those KLH 17's, I'd be a happy camper. :p
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    The KLH 17's aren't going anywhere. I had those out as a consolation offer for you, incase you didn't win your Model 5 auction - you could take SOMETHING KLH vintage home.
    Somehow I missed that.. kind offer, but the 5's are the only ones I'm really interested in.

As for those 7's... the shipping is not bad for two with the heft of the 7's. Been watching them also, but not going for them as they are not A's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2004
    I have some Monitor Audio speakers that would go against the vintage theme and you would probably have to put a little more coin toward them. They do sound great though.

I also have a pair of Acoustiflex speakers. This pair I'm gonna have to think a little more about. I can't find anything out about them, but they sound really nice. They are a sealed 3-way with 10"woofer, horn mid, and cone tweeter, but are much smaller (due to the horn mid) than you'd think.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • shack
    edited February 2004
    Someone wanted those Monitor 7s real bad. I lost interest when it went over $100 and the winning bid was $162.51 plus the $50 shipping.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited February 2004
    yeah i had them till the final seconds then whoever it was stole them right under my nose. **** part was the guy lives 15 mins away from me for local pickup. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Life without music would
  • mgd99
    edited February 2004
    Want a tip?

Open two windows. One with the bid screen and one with the auction. Refresh the auction screen continously as the auction is ending to get price updates. With 15 seconds, enter your bid quickly into the other window with the bid form. It will give you enough time to get to the confirm screen and your bid will go in with about 3 seconds left (if you have broadband....on dialup...you need at least 30 seconds)

I agree that price is too high. Keep your eyes open on that other stuff.

You might try e-mailing the guy in advance and making an offer before bids get placed. Tigerfever stole a pair of f/x500i's on me by doing that on an auction. He got them for about $125 for the pair. Blindsided me...........I am still hunting for a pair at that price...damn.

Good Luck

mgd99

PS If you know anyone with a pair of RT35i's in the $150 including shipping area, let me know. I'm hunting.
  • Pauly
    edited February 2004
    yeah i thought about that after the fact...i did email but guy was pretty stern on waiting for the bid to end but he did email me after saying maybe the guy wont want to pay shipping then he would offer them to me since he didnt want to ship them ...oh well i am finalizing on a pair of monitor 7's right now and should have next week. just wanted 2 pairs :)
    Life without music would
  • shack
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by mgd99
    Want a tip?

Open two windows. One with the bid screen and one with the auction. Refresh the auction screen continously as the auction is ending to get price updates. With 15 seconds, enter your bid quickly into the other window with the bid form. It will give you enough time to get to the confirm screen and your bid will go in with about 3 seconds left (if you have broadband....on dialup...you need at least 30 seconds)
    Of course this only works if you are NOT bidding against someone that has entered a higher max bid price than your last second snipe.

• mgd99
    edited February 2004
    Yes, but it prevents an outbid at the last second.
  • danger boy
    edited February 2004
    yeah those Monitor 7's went to high for me too. once you included shipping.

I just wish there weren't so many speaker hoarding people on ebay.. most times doesn't give some of us much of a chance to own any such speakers. There is no way i'm going to pay $162 + $50 shipping for a pair of Monitor 7's.

You guys that live in the south are lucky.. I haven't run into a pair of Monitor 7's that are on West side of the Mississippi on ebay. . :mad:
  • Pauly
    edited February 2004
    Yeah i know. There are some other Moitior series about 1/2 from me. Not 7's i think they were 5's or something. If i run into another pair around me i'll let you know. maybe i can pick them up and ship them and pay actual cost not inflated shipping that most of them do.
    Life without music would
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2004
    I've got a nice pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers that just got replaced by the rti6's. They just may be the right size you're looking for. I'll do $100 shipped for these. If you don't like them, ship them back at your cost. How's that for a guarantee! I'll post some pics a little later.
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2004
    lo-res pic 1 of 3. email for hi-rez.
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2004
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2004
    3-3. These speakers are in very good condition.
  • polktycoon
    polktycoon Posts: 35
    edited February 2004
    Dangerboy: You just missed a pair of monitor 5jr's for $56 on ebay. Luckly I got them. :)
    There are still two set of monitor 5's and two sets of monitor 7's on ebay right now.
  • Pauly
    edited February 2004
    Both 7's are in the south east yet again... :)
    Life without music would
  • danger boy
    edited February 2004
    thanks guys.. i really am looking for the monitor 7's .. but open to others of course.

I haven't had much time today to browse ebay..

congrats on all that got good deals. :D
  • mgd99
    edited February 2004
    Hey I found Monitor 10B's for $160 on audiogon. Guy is in Michigan. Bigger than you want, but a good price. I love my 10's.
  • danger boy
    edited February 2004
    i can be persuaded into some nice monitor 10's. :D
  • mgd99
    edited February 2004
    You know, I just checked for it again and saw the date it was posted. November 18th 2003. But he never took down the ad. If he still has them......I'd be surprised, but if he does, good for you.

this link should work

http://marketplace.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=Audio&website=AudioReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=7728&query=retrieval

Ad number 7728

mgd99