SVS vs. SVS+

I-SIG
I-SIG Posts: 2,238
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I guess this will be mostly for the Dr. and I decided that this was more of an advanced issue anyway so I put it here and not he Sub forum.

Anyway, is a SVS CS+ worth the $150 diff over a standard CS, at least in the 25-31 version? I looked at the Hsu sub also. Since I have power and crossovers, I figured I would go with the "Made in USA" SVS rather than the Hsu tubes which are priced similarly.

My plan is to use the second output of my Audio Alchemy DLC to feed a Paradigm X-30 sub control unit and use one channel from my Carver m1.0-t to feed the sub. I know a few years ago I e-mailed ron at SVS about the CS handling 500W (the 1.0's 4ohm RMS or therebouts) and he said it should be fine, so power isn't an issue.

I also understand that I shouldn't harm my Carver amp only running one channel at a time either. This true?

Should blending with my SDA-1C's be an issue since they aren't gonna be crossed over? Or should I run from my source to the X-30, from the X-30 50hz high-pass to the DLC? If I'm gonna add a sub, especially something like a SVS that has balls, I'd like to take some load of the SDA's.

Wes
Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
Post edited by I-SIG on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2004
    The driver used in the subs are what is different I believe. 500 watts is no big deal for the CS+ and should be fine for the Carver only running 1 channel. I'm not sure what the capabilities are of your crossover is but I have found that by crossing at a 100 Hz makes my 800i's sing in 2 channel and the CS+ is very smooth and not boomy at all.

Sounds like your having some fun over there:)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • I-SIG
    edited January 2004
    Thanks, HBomb. That's kinda what I thought, but I guess I need to decide if it is worth the 150. Since the SDA's are pretty big, I know I'm gonna get the 22Hz option.

My crossover is a pretty capable little piece, considering what it is. The X-30 does everything on low-level ins/out. It has two sub outputs with one having phase adjustment, 0-180. It has a variable 50-150Hz subcrossover on a 3rd order active. On the high-pass outputs I have a choice of 50, 80, or 120Hz, 3rd order active as well

As for the system, I really love what I have.

Pre-amp: Audio Alchemy Direct Line Controller (DLC)
    Amp: Carver M1.0-t, but soon to be a TFM-42 :D
    CD/DVD: Onkyo DV-C600 6-disc changer
    Speaks: Polk SDA-1C Studio
    Interconnects: AQ Copperhead ("entry" Perfect Surface Copper)
    Speaker Wire: AQ CV-4 (also "entry" PSC)

I really feel that my main weakness is my CD source. I tried checking eBay for that NEC 601 that ATCVenom was talking about but no luck yet. I'll never get rid of my SDA's or Carver amps. You'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead fingers, and that would be after I have expended a substantial quantity of ammo!

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2004
    Wes,

May I make a few sugestions? Ah good skippy ;) , I thought so.

You may find that just adding a DAC to your cd/dvd player will improve music playback or even better get a dedicated single disc cd player. If you'd like some suggestions for one, let us know. This one maybe a little touchy, but there are better musical amps than Carver out there.

Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HBombToo
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Wes,

You may find that just adding a DAC to your cd/dvd player will improve music playback or even better get a dedicated single disc cd player.

ya... i see AA DAC's on sale at audiogon all the time. You'll have a nice lineup of AA equipment there.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2004
    Wes,
    How do you like the DLC? I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these fro a good while now...

As for your Carver.... I'd be a little concerned using the single channel of it to power a sub. It's not designed to sustain a 500 W output for very long. Continuous rating is only 100 wpc.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited January 2004
    Wes,
    first of all, you absolutely need to run the speaker output through high-pass of the X-30, otherwise you will have a very uneven FR where the output of the sub and speakers overlap. Second of all, I would just get the CS+. You seem to be very dedicated to equipment that you like so why not spend the extra $150 on something that "You'll have to pry out of my cold, dead fingers"

good luck, and anytime you want to sell me that crossover for a good price let me know
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2004
    There is no "22 Hz option" on the CS+.

The Plus subs have variable tuning via the triple 3" diameter ports and port plugs.

The CS sub has a single 4" diameter port that you can indeed order in the 25 Hz tune, or the 22 Hz tune. The 25 Hz tune will use a 12" long port, and the 22 Hz tune will use a 15" long port.

The dB-12 Plus driver is much more capable than the ISD used in the CS. Expect the CS+ to outperform the CS by 5 dB below 30 Hz. Above 30 Hz, the advantage is less, about 2-3 dB.

For only $150 more, the Plus with the variable tuning and the better driver is a no brainer, IMO.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • I-SIG
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Wes,
    How do you like the DLC? I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these fro a good while now...

As for your Carver.... I'd be a little concerned using the single channel of it to power a sub. It's not designed to sustain a 500 W output for very long. Continuous rating is only 100 wpc.

Tour2ma,

I like DLC pretty well. It seems to do a great job of being a preamp and preamp only. No tone controls or anything else. Just a place to switch sources without adding, hopefully, anything significant to the source material. It has pretty flat response in doing this. If you like to monkey with tone controls, either pass on the DLC or get an EQ of some fashion.

The M1.0-t is rated at 200W/ch 20-20k @ 8ohms. Since Carver's are pretty unregulated in power supply area, I should have a minimum of 400W/ch @ 4ohms before I ever hook up a driver.

Wes

• I-SIG
    edited February 2004
    Thanks, Doc. My mistake on the 22Hz option for the CS+.

Any other comments about my wiring plan?

Wes

• I-SIG
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by Ceruleance
    Wes,
    first of all, you absolutely need to run the speaker output through high-pass of the X-30, otherwise you will have a very uneven FR where the output of the sub and speakers overlap. Second of all, I would just get the CS+. You seem to be very dedicated to equipment that you like so why not spend the extra $150 on something that "You'll have to pry out of my cold, dead fingers"

good luck, and anytime you want to sell me that crossover for a good price let me know

Ceruleance,

Good point on my equipment opinions! :D

As for wiring, I know it might be a waste, but I was thinking of running the low-pass crossover pretty far down, 60Hz or maybe even 50Hz. I know the 1C's are rated at +/-3dB down to 35Hz, but it seems like they start trailing off pretty quick when they get down pretty low.

Wes

• I-SIG
    edited February 2004
    Wes,

You may find that just adding a DAC to your cd/dvd player will improve music playback or even better get a dedicated single disc cd player. If you'd like some suggestions for one, let us know. This one maybe a little touchy, but there are better musical amps than Carver out there.

Jesse

F1 and HBomb,

If I got a DAC, I assume I would just use the coax digital output on my player, correct? then feed it to the DLC or X-30, depending on how I decide to hook everything up?

On the Carver's, yeah, I'm sure there is better stuff, but at what cost of money, space, and watts? SDA's are pretty power-hungry. What else has that much bang-4-the-buck? Not being smartass, I'm really asking.

Wes

• F1nut
    edited February 2004
    The wiring sounds right to me. I suppose in the under $500.00 range for a used amp, you are correct.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I-SIG
    edited February 2004
    Thanks, F1. I haven't messed with seperate DAC and other equipment like. Common sense told that is where it should, but I didn't really want to fry a DAC or something, especially since there is a limited supply of Audio Alchemy stuff. Also, would I be better served, if I got a DAC to go ahead and get an anti-jitter device as well? Or would the anti-jitter not be fully appreciated until I got a good CD player or transport?

Speaking of AA gear, anything else comparable for the money?Thanks.

Wes

• HBombToo
    edited February 2004
    My AA DTI in my system takes the optical in the takes care of jitter and outputs on rca 75 Ohm. I have my Zenith HDSAT520 Opyical out hooked to it then my receiver and it does make a difference on D*. Where I hear no benefit is from my Denon 2900... I'm very impressed with how well the 2900 does.

My Audio Research DAC5 also made a huge difference from a D* (2 channel)so in line with F1 a good DAC will clean up jitter also. I liken digital jitter much in the same as chroma... until you know what the difference is your much better off living in ignorance which is bliss. I ran my AR DAC through the DTI and happened to too like my DAC much better but for 5.1 my DAC won't work so I use the AA for sat receiver cleanup.

Be carefull or your going to end up with 1 helluva rack:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • F1nut
    edited February 2004
    Wes,

Just found this amp, well worth checking out.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstran&1080866210&2&3&4&

President of Club Polk

• I-SIG
    edited February 2004
    Jesse,

Looks good. I know B&W makes some good gear for sure. What would I gain or lose going from a TFM-42 to this model, if you think you can properly quantify the differences?

Wes

• F1nut
    edited February 2004
    Wes,

I know you meant B&K..lol, B&W makes speakers.

Gain or lose??? Well, the obvious...375wpc vs 225wpc, but the B&K will give you better bass control because of it's higher dampening factor and it is a higher current amp giving a more musical sound. Both are known for their tube type (warmer) sound. If you're into specs, the Carver has higher THD than the B&K, but both are low enough not to matter. In the event you would need service, B&K has very good CS (well known fact), Carver (I found) is pretty bad. I don't think the Carver is a bad choice, I just think the B&K is more musical.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• I-SIG
    edited February 2004
    Wes,

I know you meant B&K..lol, B&W makes speakers.

Jesse

DOH! :eek: Yep, got the two confused. Good stuff either way though.

Thanks, Jesse. I'll keep them in mind for future purchases for sure.

Wes