Pioneer RT-909 - Reel to Reel

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,573
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I picked one of these up recently thru a friend at work. I am interested to get some media for it, and try it out. Original manuals, and one small scuff on the front lower left faceplate, but otherwise it's minty fresh. I will post an actual picture later, its too cold to get it out of my truck.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited January 2004
    Dang, Doro! nice catch! It used to be the best thing that ever happened to tape, very long playback time...

My dad used to own an Akai RR back in the 70s, very low maintenance, sounds much better than cassettes

Let us know how it sounds compared to todays' redbook...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2004
    Sweet dude. I'm jealous.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited February 2004
    Very cool. man I love the old Pioneer "silver series" components...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2004
    Hello,
    Excellent, one of the true classics, a very highly sought out model!
    Try and find a copy of "Kind of Blue" on open reel, quarter track. Also the RCA Harry Belafonte, "Carnegie Hall Concert" tape or "West Side Story". Good listening!
    Take care, Ken
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2004
    Very cool toy Doro. The first time I saw one of those was in the film Pulp Fiction when Vincent and Mia returned to her house and she played 'Girl, you'll be a woman soon'. Let us know how it sounds whe you get some music for it.

Maurice
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited February 2004
    Very cool indeed! I can't wait to get my listen on. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2004
    I'll ask my buddy if he has some spare tapes. We used to listen to his R2R all the time. Most of his tapes were made by his uncle when he was running a radio station in Vietnam. All compilations from that era.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2004
    Thanks guys for the comments. I really think its neat, but don't quite know the about the finality of it in my house. I really have no where to put this monster :) but the wife doesn't hate it, and that makes me uncomfortable. I just ordered a spare belt and a factory service manual and operators manual. The copies I had are in rough shape.

Gidrah - Thanks for the offer man but Hoosier21 is actually sending me a couple tapes, or one tape...something like that, to test it out. Let me check them out first, just in case its a tape eater.

Ken - Thanks for the suggestions.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mikejz84
    mikejz84 Posts: 158
    edited February 2004
    I had a nice Akai deck that I got a little while ago from a garage sale for $50. Sounded nice, but media was hard to find and the good stuff was expensive. I ended up selling it on ebay and got about $500 for it!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2004
    Mark

Did UPS come see you today?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2004
    Russ,

I wasn't in the office today, and won't be able to get inside until Friday. I will give you a ring as soon as I open her up.

Mike - Now that sounds like another sweet deal :D
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2004
    That's nice doro...:D