How safe is it buying speakers form Ebay?

Options
gguess321
gguess321 Posts: 14
edited February 2004 in Speakers
I need to purchase a set of Rti 38's for my system and I was thinking of buying a pair of them off Ebay. Is it possible that they might not be true Polk's. I don't care about sending money over the net, I just want to have a pair that i know that aren't some remake or something. Thanks
Post edited by gguess321 on

Comments

• paymontana
    paymontana Posts: 234
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I have orderd my whole system through Ebay and Audiogon. I saved a load of money and all deals were good. I delt w/ mostly E-retailers like sounddistributors and audiovation. Another highly recomended E-store is 6th Ave.com. They were a pleasure to deal with and they beatCC by 415$ on the 3803! I did buy one pair of lsi7's by auction it turned out to be a real good deal.The #1 thing to look for in a private seller is positive feedback(You can usualy judge a good man by what other good people have to say about him.) The other things to look for in a private seller are feedback and speed and detail of responses to your email questions. Ask the seller a series of questions even if you already know the answers. The other thing to do is check around the forum. Alot of these guys can pick out a bad deal at a glance. I figured i saved over 2500$ off of total of retail. Make sure you shop around too. Go to Ebay and check previously sold items and check the price range before you bid. If i can help let me know. Here is what i got .
    • Lsi 9's new - 475$ sounddistributors.com
    • lsi7's - 380$ mint condition Ebay
    • B&K 5125 amplifier- 608$ brand new with waranty Audiogon.com
    • Denon 3803-608$brand new 6th Ave.com
    • sony 5disc sacd player- 299$ circuitcity

CJ
    "It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2004
    Options
    If you buy from the folks at eBay with lots of good feedback you'll be fine and get what you order ...
  • mgd99
    mgd99 Posts: 84
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Just be careful on the good feedback. See if the person was a seller on most of the feedback. Some scammers buy alot of cheap things to build up alot of positive feedback and then start selling. So check the actual items to see if a buyer or seller and the amount spent if they were mostly buyers.

Also, stock photos vs real photos. E-bay actually tells you to beware of this. Although not everyone has a digital camera, alot of people borrow them to put photos on e-bay. Stock photos are used by scammers to advertise non-existant merchandise. Sometimes they steal a photo from a previously run acution, so you still need to be careful

I agree with the poster who said to always ask questions. If they don't answer your questions, don't bid.

If you win an auction, never send money via western union. You are sending your money into a black hole.

My best way of assuring safety (non guaranteed however). Ask for the persons name, address and HOME phone number and even a work phone number. Then check it on an internet white pages to make sure they exist. If the number is unlisted, then call the person to verify. If it is an expensive item, even call the work number. Only mail to the address they sent you. Sounds like an invasion of privacy?? Tough, you are sending your money to a stranger, they should be willing to alleviate your risk.

I have been using e-bay for 5 years and seen and read about most of the scams. Three weeks ago, I ran questions past a guy who had very specific shipping cost requirements. Then I read his feed back and there were negatives from people who where a nickel short on the shipping cost. He kept their money and never shipped. His reply was that they did not honor the ad which said he would not ship if they sent the wrong amount. I sent him a question about the exact shipping cost and he never replied. After the auction, I sent him an e-mail saying I would have bid more if he had only taken the time to reply. He responded with an e-mail filled with profanity. I reported him to e-bay. Sure enough, a week ago the winner posted that he never got the item because the was 2 cents short on the shipping.

Most people are honest, but the crooks use that to their advantage. Always safer to pass on something suspicious.

Good luck

mgd99
  • braveheart
    braveheart Posts: 28
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I can honestly say that all of my dealings on Ebay have been good. The people I have bought used Polk speakers from have been fast and open communicators. Looking to please me with my purchase from them. How they answer your emails is a good indicator. Most of the sellers want a good reputation and know it is in there best interests to be honest. Realize that a couple bad apples dont spoil the whole bunch.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Here is how I protect myself.

I am a patient guy. I search for products within about a 2 or 3 hour drive from my home. I wait a little. Finally, something comes up. I tell the seller that I want to avoid potential shipping damage as I worked at UPS and I know how they treat packages (true). We meet. I see the goods in person. I hand him the cash AFTER I have quickly inspected what I am getting. I don't misuse E-bay and backout of deals. But, likewise, I don't trust complete strangers either.

This is how I was able to SUCESSFULLY get a set of Monitor 10's from wangotango without getting ripped off. In short, this method works VERY well - especially for things like speakers.

Now, if its less than $50 or so, I will trust the guy on the other end and pay with paypal. Ebay does provide insurance up to $200 with a deductable. I would never buy a set of SRS1.2TL's for $2000 and just trust the other guy. If that were the case, I'd probably fly out to inspect the speakers and help him package them up AND drop them off with the shipper. At minimum, I would insist on using a 3rd party approved escrow for payment.

Again, I am very careful and have never been burned.
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I considered purchasing Polk speakers on EBay, but I kept reading that the waranty is no good if speakers are purchased from a "Non-Authorized" Polk dealer.

I don't believe all these guys on EBay are "authorized" dealers.

Am I wrong?
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
    Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I had a bad experience with a seller who had mostly good feedback on e-bay, also paypal can be difficult to deal with, were it not for my Visa Card company I would have lost my cash, as a result I will not purchase any more products off e-bay from private sellers or unknown e-tailers. I have found audiogon to be a better place to buy from but you still need to watch.

I have probably missed some good deals on e-bay but figure I also saved some dough and did not have to deal with the headaches.

Good Luck with your system.