-Jennifer Connelly
-Helen Mirin
-Maggie Smith
-Marisa Tomei
-Kate Winslet

BEST FOREIGN FILM
-Am
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    So, anybody got any picks? predictions?

-luc
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2002
    BEST PICTURE will be either "A Beautiful Mind" or "Lord of the Rings." One is a feel-good piece of crapola, but Ron Howard is golden in the academy, and "Rings" is too popular to ignore.

BEST DIRECTOR could be Ron Howard or Robert Altman, both are industry darlings who get away with crap, and the academy would never give it to Ridley or Lynch.

BEST ACTOR could be Crowe, but didn't he win before? Then it may be Will Smith just to throw a monkeywrench in the system. BEST ACTRESS will be Sissy Spacek.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR will be Jim Broadbent, who in the last couple of years has done some great, unsung stuff. (And he was really grand in the otherwise idiotic "Moulin Rouge.") If not him, then Ian McKellan, cause how cool was Gandalf? BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS will be my baby, Jennifer Connelly. Because I said so. (Actually, she's no real actress. Which means she'll either win, or it will go to Helen Mirin, who is a real actress. But she's a brit...)

BEST FOREIGN FILM? Who sees foreign films?

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM will be "Shrek." But this is a dumb category. Can "Toy Story" get a retroactive Oscar?

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY can't be "A Beautiful Mind," since even the author says the movie is a thorough trashing of the novel. So it could be "Lord of the Rings," since that's the most obvious "adaptation."

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY would be cool if Owen Wilson won for "Royal Tenebaums," but it'll be "Memento." (Which is cool, too, because it will encourage more originality in hollywood.)

ART DIRECTION may be "Moulin Rouge." They obviously just give Oscars for any old thing these days.

CINEMATOGRAPHY... Could be "Man Who Wasn't There." But might be "Moulin Rouge" or "LOTR."

COSTUME DESIGN will be "Gosford Park."

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE? No one watches this stuff. Ditto DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT. That's what Discovery Channel is for.

FILM EDITING should be "Memento," but might be "Moulin Rouge."

MAKEUP... They give Oscars for this?

MUSIC (SCORE) won't be "AI" because it's J Williams, right? But I don't know any of the others. So this is a toss up.

MUSIC (SONG) Who knows? I get popcorn during the singing.

Just the fact that bombs -- horrible stupid movies like BLACK HAWK DOWN, MOULIN ROUGE and PEARL HARBOR -- are so represented in these categories makes them suspect. What a creative bankruptcy in hollywood.

Oh well. Who watches these award shows anyway? Not me.
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    Just like with all sports games, it comes down to who pays who the most to win. It has nothing to do with talent.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    ..."tiny purple fishes that run laughing through your fingers"

I think "beautiful mind" will get the nod.
    "Lord" will win in other categories.
    Ron Howard will get the nod, Altman has been treated well enough of late.
    Crowe may get it, we reward fractured minds in this country. And yes it would be a double dip,
    but then there is the Tom Hanks phenomenom.
    Sissy is the sure bet.

"that is all"

-luc
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited February 2002
    has anyone else actually seen in the bedroom?

sissy for best actress? :eek: give me a break. in the bedroom had to be one of the worst movies that i've ever seen. what they told in a long and boring 2 1/2 hours could have easily been explained in 20 minutes. i've seen better movies on the lifetime network than that one, and that's not saying much.

my choice for best actress would be halle berry...

sean penn for best actor...

ben kingsley for best supporting actor...

david lynch for best director...

ghost world for best adapted screenplay...

royal tenenbaums for best original screenplay...

and most definitely, a beautiful mind for best picture!

(go ahead guys, flame on)

joe :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    Sean Penn playing a ****? Wow, theres a stretch for him. After Spicoli, it was all downhill....

Halle Berry? I just can't get past the breakfast ****, they look like fried eggs.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    breakfast ****...:D LMAO. i've never appreciated her as an actress in the roles i've seen her in. just lacks conviction in my opinion. i haven't seen her in the role she's been nominated for though, so maybe i'm wrong...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    they look like fried eggs
    Yeah, cage-free brown eggs.

Peace Out~:D
    If...