biwiring....

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
You know, there is so much confusion on biwiring, I'd though I'd just see if I can muddy it up a little more.

If you are currently using one run of, say, Home Depot wire and you say to yourself, SELF!, I want to try biwiring to see if it has any benefit to me.

If you run out and buy a 250 dollar set of biwire cables and hook 'em up and lo and behold, it sounds better! Well, how can you tell if the difference is operating the speaker in a biwire fashion or plain just better wire?

IMO, in order to ascertain if there is any improvement to be gained, you first need to start out with either a double run or premade biwire cable that is of the same quality as what you are currently running. That way you can tell better if it is indeed the wiring configuration or the wire itself. See what I'm going at here?

Again, when speaker manufacturer's started designing speakers to be biwired/biamped, speaker wire was not a consideration. The whole premise is behind separating the tweeter from the other drivers. The quality of the wire, really, has nothing to do with that.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Again, when speaker manufacturer's started designing speakers to be biwired/biamped, speaker wire was not a consideration. The whole premise is behind separating the tweeter from the other drivers. The quality of the wire, really, has nothing to do with that.
    BDT
    I have to agree with that. I believe bi-ampimg was the intended purpose. But if not I do agree with replacing the stock jumpers with quality wire. IMO