Anthem D2 just arrived...

blueboxer
blueboxer Posts: 621
edited December 2010 in Electronics
Now, does anyone want to spend the next couple hours walking me through all the setup options? :frown:
Post edited by blueboxer on

Comments

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited December 2010
    I would if I wasnt overcome with intense jealousy
  • blueboxer
    edited December 2010
    Without any tweaking I can saw thus far that the Anthem gear is very detailed and neutral, definitely not warm nor bright. Bass with my Mythos ST is really tight and no longer has any boomy moments that I did with my AVR. Initially, I had an issue running my 360 through it, but that was resolved rather quickly. I have to calibrate the picture as well, going to work on that tomorrow after I get my tv back to all the default settings (or more accurately neutral settings versus the factory bright/dynamic setting). The MCA 50 doesn't even get warm to the touch with extended listening. So far I am happy, still thinking that maybe the NAD T785 or T175 with a 975 would have been a better match, but I might have to do a comparison and just sale the other gear afterwards.
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    edited December 2010
    blue, I won't be much help with the video side since I use a D1 in a music only setup, but feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any questions on the audio side. I'm no expert, but I'll help if I can. Did you add the room correction? I reall like what it's done for my setup.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2010
    Congrats, that D2 is a sweet piece of gear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited December 2010
    How does adding that amp make your bass " not boomy"?
    The subs should be powered by the onboard amp plate and the mids don't handle much of nothing as far as bass goes?

Congrats on your new purchase. Looking for a warm amp myself and leaning toward the Halo a52 as soon as one used comes available.
  • blueboxer
    edited December 2010
    When I demo'd an AVR600 and Pioneer SC-27, I noticed a lot more bass, not just in loudness, but it seemed to linger more, a little more sloppy I guess. With the D2 MCA 50 combo, it seems a lot tighter and more controlled. Overall, everything sounds sharp and detailed. Now I do have wood floors, leather couches, and an acoustic nightmare of a room. The AVR600 sounded a lot better after its version of room correction and a more warm and "lush" sound with music. Verdict is out on HT since I have not had a chance to get out an SPL and set things up in the menu.

I really cannot account for the change of bass with any precise justification, things just seem more accurate. Of course, I should probably make sure the Mrs. just didn't turn it down in hopes of me not noticing it. lol

98Badger: thanks for the input and PM, I was using that thread to dial in the video portion for now and was going to search further for audio tweaks. I purchased the unit without ARC, I want to demo it against a NAD T175 before purchasing the ARC. There is also a NAD T785HD for a great price that I am considering. I plan on two separate room setups so I might just waste all my holiday pay on the second unit and relegate the Denon to backup duties or a soundbar in a bedroom.
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2010
    I thought that anthem was a 2 channel amp didn't realize it was a receiver.
  • blueboxer
    edited December 2010
    The Anthem D2 is a SSP, but has received great reviews for its two channel performance. I was quick to try it out since at worse I could use it as a great two channel rig. The upsampling dacs will be nice to utilize. I won't be off for a couple days, so hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have it dialed in and pictures up. I am just bummed that the D2 does not fit in my BDI cabinet. I can leave it on top and move my black BDI downstairs to really make it look clean, but I know it is going to drive me crazy.
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2010
  • TG Meat
    TG Meat Posts: 159
    edited December 2010
    I am still getting my D2v settings the way I want them, so I might be able to help. There is a great thread on AVS that you should check out...there is ALOT of detailed information. It is titled the D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC Tweeking Guide or something like that. It is a detailed processor and two channel rig, I love mine.
    Anthem D2v
    NAD M50 Music Server
    B & K Reference 200.5
    Parasound A21
    B & W 804 (Mains)
    B & W HTM1 (Center)
    Polk Rti4 (Surrounds)
    PS3
    Seaton Submersive HP
    Pioneer PDP 6010FD Kuro
  • sm88
    sm88 Posts: 353
    edited December 2010
    Bloated bass might very well be a result of your room, a small investment in acoustic panels can cut down on it a lot. But it could also be the receiver entirely. I think accurate bass is far, far better in any case, and if you're looking for more of it the D2 should be able to accommodate through bass management / room correction.

How do you like the amp?

I prefer the sound of a wood floor but feel it requires additional work to get the acoustics right, panels might make a big difference.
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II

For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
  • blueboxer
    edited December 2010
    The amp runs cool to the touch despite long listening periods, it was a tight squeeze, but fits in well. I just finished trying out the THX Cinema setting and the new PS3 via PCM, the unit sounds AMAZING with movies. I think the tighter bass is due to not setting up the crossover correctly yet, I don't think it recognizes that I have subs due to running them set as large with prior setups. I might run some LFE cables tomorrow to see how that changes things up if I can't get the mains setup as large and with the correct crossover. Overall, I am enjoying it more and more everyday. Not quite right for stereo yet, but I am hoping that is just me not knowing what I am doing yet.

However, I did see a NAD T175 HD and 955 amp for some killer prices, I might just go ahead and pull the trigger to do the comparison and see if PCM versus TrueHD/DTS-HD is a big enough difference to care.
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2010
    Does it have HDMI inputs?
  • blueboxer
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the D2 only has four HDMI inputs while the D2v has a total of eight. That and the ability to internally decode TrueHD and DTS/HD are the main differences. Well, that and about 4-6K. lol
  • blueboxer
    edited December 2010
    Living in a small town is such a pain at times, anyone know a good site online to purchase a new sound meter? Unless someone doesn't mind loaning one out, I will pay shipping both ways, of course.
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2010
  • blueboxer
    edited December 2010
    I tried them, they didn't have any in stock and didn't seem to really understand what I was asking for. The website list the items as in-store only. Go figure...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited December 2010
    Did you buy this used? I assume so if you have a D2 and not a D2V2 correct? I have installed many of them and setup ARC , did software upgrades etc.

The D2 can be upgraded to a D2V2.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • blueboxer
    edited December 2010
    Yes, it is a D2 without ARC. I am contemplating purchasing the ARC, but was hoping to get things setup as far as I could for now. Unfortunately, the upgrade program now consists of trading in your D2 unit for a credit towards a new D2V. However, the credit is far less than resale for your D2 and far more than retail for a new D2V. I am quite content without having lossless decoded in the unit for now, plus for the cost of a new D2V I am getting the D2 and possibly a NAD T175HD for the second room.

Any input on setting this unit up would be greatly appreciated. So far I am really enjoying movies and gaming on the unit. The detail, panning of sounds, and picture is a significant improvement over my Denon AVR. You can actually make out the different types of weapons being used during a gunfight versus just gunfire overall let alone the difference between gunfire directed towards my POV versus off to the side or rolling across the screen. :)
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2010
    Blueboxer,

I'm 2 blocks from Radioshack and 6 blocks from the post office. If you want I can pick one up for you and have it in the mail Monday morning. Let me know.
  • blueboxer
    edited December 2010
    That could work, I am going to see if I can make a run across the state line and see what they have there, I owe the Mrs. a night out this weekend, if not I will paypal you the cost plus express shipping via USPS or FedEx, whichever is easier for you to get to. Oh, I talked to Joe and I think I will be placing that order by Sunday as well. :)
  • leroyjr1
    edited December 2010
    blueboxer wrote: »
    Oh, I talked to Joe and I think I will be placing that order by Sunday as well. :)

That's great. If I get that pair from you I'll be getting another one for the center channel from Joe.
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited December 2010
    Congrats- Anthem makes great gear, I love the sound of my AVM-30.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • blueboxer
    edited December 2010
    Thanks, the complexity of it has me somewhat concerned that I will never dial it in completely, but for HT use it is already well ahead of my prior setup. The best part is that thus far it lacks any of the bugs I saw when I demo'd the Arcam 600 and reported with the NAD gear.