Rear Surround Help

mark g. nelson
mark g. nelson Posts: 134
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Hey guys I need some help on what to buy for my surrounds. My brother wanted my RT10's so I gave in after 6 months of nagging.
My problem is the back of my room is all windows, sides included. So I will have to stay with towers or use stands. I also want to have a full range signal being sent to the surrounds.
So after looking at CC. I came up with two options.

1. Rt1000i $699 a pair
2. F/x 500 with 21" stands with a PSW450 $750 for both (the F/x500's are open box but perfect).
With the stands the 500's would be about the same height as the 1000's.

Any suggestions or options I'm not seeing. Thanks

My current setup.

Mains RT2000's
Center CS1000P
Sub PSW1200
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    either of those options look fine. do you need another sub paired with that 1200? were you thinking of using the f/x's along the side or rear wall? if you wanted to save a little $, you could go with the rt800i's for the rears, don't know if that would be enough bass for you though....:D
  • mark g. nelson
    edited February 2002
    I plan on using the 500's along the rear wall, we have end tables on the sides I could use, but that wife factor is tough when you ask her to move a lamp or phone locations. As for the bass the 1200 is great but more bass is always good my room is also 17X22. and I sit 14' from my mains. The 800's are something to consider, do most of you set them as large. They are only 499 a pair right now.
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    i have 800's up front, and yes, they are set to large! they sound great! if you are going to put the f/x500's on the rear wall, i would suggest a floor standing speaker over the f/x in bi/pole mode. (just my preference) i would prefer the f/x's in a dipole side wall set-up. go for the 1000's if you're a bass freak, unless you got the cash to go 800's with a sub (if you think you need it).... of course you do, right?:D

BTW, sweet set-up!!!
  • mark g. nelson
    edited February 2002
    Juice
    thanks for your input . I think I will spend my lunch hour looking at speakers. That is if I get to CC, all this Olympic traffic has been fun. I work right across the street from the medals plaza downtown. It took 50min. to go the last block this morning. To bad for me that light rail doesn't run at 4am.
    I has been fun to see all the medals given out from our windows .
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    that's awesome mark, i wish i could be at the olympics, of course, if i was trying to live my everyday life, the traffic would get on my nerves too. but it would be nice for 2 week vacation... bet the bars are fun everynite of the week for these two weeks! you have tickets to any of the events? have fun auditioning some speaks, let me know how it comes along...
  • mark g. nelson
    edited February 2002
    No luck on driving on my lunch hour. I will go tonight.

Juice,
    Yes we had tickets to the speed skating on saturday. I was great. It is weird to have all these people in my home town. Yes the bars are packed, the new sports bar down the road from my house is nutts.

Went to the store sunday night and a Film crew from Asia was filming how we do our food shopping. Not your usual beer run.

I will post my speaker findings tonight. Thanks
  • mark g. nelson
    edited February 2002
    Well I picked up a pair of RT1000i for my surrounds. I talked them down to $650.00.
    I'm now in green light heaven!!! All six are Polk and Powered.
    Mains RT2000p
    center CS1000p
    Rears RT1000i
    Sub PSW1200

Bass is your Friend.

Juice Thanks for your help.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    ...your beverage of choice is,

BASS ALE.

seriously, 2000's 1200, and 1000's
    that's bad **** Bass!

-luc, (former slc dweller)
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    mark, no problem-glad to help, and nice way to round out your set-up. you got a great deal on those 1000's! enjoy...:D
  • mark g. nelson
    edited February 2002
    Well minor set back tonight. I look over at one of my new 1000i surrounds. No Green light!! No Bass!! So I check the power. OK . Check the wiring and settings. OK. Then I go to move it out in the room. Clunk Clunk!!!! from the inside.. Houston we have a problem. Something must be wrong with powered woofer. So it is going back in the morning. I called the store they have 2 left. I will check the new one at the store to make sure I safe. O well the Olympics are on tonight right.

Trubluluc,
    Hey nothing like getting drunk on that Bass Ale. Where did you live in SLC. I grew up in Sandy. Now in West Jordan.
    Mark
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    eew, dissapointing....:( but hopefully you can get it resolved tommorow, if they have 2 more in stock, you should be all good...:D