Which PS3 is the best these days?

Options
2»

Comments

• cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Of course you could just set up over the network with something like Media Player 11. I think you can copy files this way as well as stream. But the quickest and easiest way to move large numbers of files would still be to use an external drive once you get it formatted properly.
  • cheddar
    edited December 2010
    Options
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Even if you're connecting an external HD to a PS3 it has to be formatted as FAT32?

I believe so unless they changed something recently. I had to reformat the old 60gig to FAT32 that I took out when I upgraded my ps3. And have been using it ever since as an external drive for large file transfers.
  • silvertuner
    silvertuner Posts: 496
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i was able to find a back door to get onto a non fat32 formatted device thru my newer ps3. it wasnt too easy to figure out, and wasnt 100 percent reliable. ben, im sure we'll talk soon about this lol

some cheap free sony speakers
    psw125
    denon 1610
    3.1 channel because i hate cables ran across the living room like that
  • Hardtail67
    Hardtail67 Posts: 52
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I know awhile ago, the 60gig was the one to get.

My main requirement is analog audio outs, and i'd like backwards compatible, but it's not a deal breaker.

Is there a certain one that sounds better? Has more expandability? Better chipsets?

Do you want to work with your 19 inch black and white tv too???
  • Hardtail67
    Hardtail67 Posts: 52
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I want a new ps3 and totally hate my old one because of the fan noise

That fan noise it the beginning of the end. Make sure you back up all your data. I got the loud fan and a couple of months later I got the Yellow Light of Death.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Hardtail67 wrote: »
    Do you want to work with your 19 inch black and white tv too???

That would be super.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • concealer404
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Anyways, the drive that i have is a 120 gig formatted in FAT32, so i don't anticipate that being a problem. If it doesn't work, then i guess i can just stream it from the laptop if i have to. I've got options, so i'm happy.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• cheddar
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You're more than set. FAT32 is the only hard part in the process. Create the folders I told you about earlier, put your music in MUSIC. Drop it in an external case, and you can even listen off your external drive without moving anything. You might want to make a back-up copy of it just in case, though.
  • harry4peterson
    harry4peterson Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    Options
    PS3 Best Game of 2010 Playstation 3. RPG is the best on the PS3.I think marvel vs capcom 2 is the best.... Street fighter 4, tekken 6,are all really good..
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Wow, filled in a yahoo name location and everything just to post spam? Reported.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I think the Xbox360 model is the best of the PS3's. :wink:
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Hardtail67 wrote: »
    That fan noise it the beginning of the end. Make sure you back up all your data. I got the loud fan and a couple of months later I got the Yellow Light of Death.

Fan noise usually occurs later in life of a PS3, may not necessarily mean it's going to YLOD, but it's an indicator of its age. The HDD isn't necessarily in danger either.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • concealer404
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Alright, so while it's cool that i can use the internet on my PS3, the video playback quality is beyond awful. It's not my internet connection, as it all works just fine on the laptop.

But it's a sad day when the sound coming out of the laptop speakers is better than what comes out of my 2-channel right when watching a video on youtube. The fact that i paid for a PS3 and a fancy HDTV and can't seem to get anything better than 240p without jumping through ridiculous hoops @ ps3youtube.com (which still sucks) isn't making me happy.

Halp? I don't want to download the movies. I just want to be able to watch youtube videos on my plasma through my 2-channel system instead of sitting there peering at a laptop with crappy sound.

Oh, and i'm also mad that Grooveshark doesn't work. Pandora is OK, but not great.

• punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited December 2010
    Options
    can you just output the audio/video from your laptop to the TV? or did you already say you didn't want to do that?

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • concealer404
    edited December 2010
    Options
    punk-roc wrote: »
    can you just output the audio/video from your laptop to the TV? or did you already say you didn't want to do that?

Jason

I didn't already say, but i don't want to do that. That's annoying wires everywhere, and the laptop doesn't have HDMI out, nor a soundcard worth a damn. :frown:

• punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited December 2010
    Options
    oh =( I haven't used a PS3 to output video/audio from the internet. but i thought i might be able to help with the laptop output stuff.. thats disappointing to hear though, i always kinda thought i could use the PS3 if i wanted too.. but never tried

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod