The rig is DONE. Really, this time.......

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited January 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
You know, I keep saying that my 2ch rig is done. I'm not going to mess with it any more and then something happens and something else get added into the mix.

Well, here is the latest incarnation of the rig:

AR XA turntable (Ortofon OM 20 cartridge)
AMC CD8b
Conrad Johnson PV7 / Carver C16 preamps
Carver Silver 9t - 575 wpc monoblocks
Carver Amazing Loudspeakers
MIT Term 4 speaker wire / Signal Cable IC's

At Christmas, the lovely Wendi picked up a mint C-16 preamp so I pulled out the CJ and added it in. I really like the C-16, LOVE the phono stage. Really dig the Sonic Holography. The outputs voiced to sound like tubes, do just that. However, I've for the linestage, I've got to give the nod to the CJ. Little more spacious sound, little better depth and just that last bit of detail. I could live with the C-16 and be perfectly happy but if you have both, even better!

Now, the Silver 9's were a TOTAL and welcome surprise. Shameless plug for hoosier21, hell of a guy. He really hooked me up.

Previously, you may recall, I had two TFM-45's bridged mono. In all actuality, I couldn't much tell the difference between one or two 45's. With two bridged I didn't have to turn the volume up as loud but for the most part, I didn't see the big benefit in having two bridged. (Astronomical cool factor though).

So, a guy offers you the deal of a lifetime on a pair of 575wpc monoblocks, what are you supposed to do?

I've been playing with them for a few days. Sonically, VERY similar to the TFM-45. According to the manual, they are identical, in terms of performance to the Carver Silver Seven Vacuum Tube Amp with a pricetag (when in production) of 20K. Same amp Harry Pearson of The Absolute Sound named 'Amp of the Decade'. In fact, unless you are paying CLOSE attention, you probably couldn't tell 'em apart.

The differences are VERY subtle. The Silver 9's offer a bit better separation of sounds. Little better soundstaging. Little more three dimensionality. Not night and day difference but listening to familiar tracks a few times, you can pick out the differences here and there.

Anywho, just thought I'd give a rundown of where I'm at with the rig. Thanks again to hoosier21 for providing me with, what I consider probably the last amps I'll buy for the 2ch rig for a long, long time.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2004
    So that's where the 9t's ended up...

Very sweet, TD... congrats... I actually beleive you are approaching the end of the road here.

Then again, I do think we can improve of that cartridge. And as nice as the XA is it is not the end all be all TT, and ... and ... and... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2004
    Done? Poor guy. Sswweeeettt rig.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2004
    Your welcome Troy, glad you like them.

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, the TT thing, that's an avenue for improvement to be sure however......I think that's something down the road to be honest.

BDT
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2004
    Congratulations, Troy!

I was wondering what you were making room for by selling off some of your other amps...

Will we be seeing some TFM-45's on the flea market, too? Spares, right?

Jason
  • TroyD
    edited January 2004
    you know, you don't know JUST how close you were to getting one!

One of the 45's has gone to Russ Gates, the other is stashed in the closet. Not likely to go anywhere, for now anyway!

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2004
    Actually the 45 is 'out for delivery' as I type this.

Stoked to say the least, going to see if the SDA's will open up even more with bigger power - they sound fine to me on 60wpc...

Now if Troy will just get his **** down to Texas and pickup Nascarmann's CRS+'s.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jcaut
    edited January 2004
    Well alrighty, then.

I want a shot at the other one if you decide to part with it!

The m0.5t is still sounding great, BTW.

Russ: I'm betting you're going to really like that amp with your SDA's.

Jason
  • TroyD
    edited January 2004
    Jason,

I'm still undecided and I'm leaning heavily to keeping it but you have first dibs when and if.

Troy
  • jcaut
    edited January 2004
    Sounds good!

Guess I need to get (or build) some big manly speakers first anyway....;)

Actually I've GOT a TFM 4.0 sitting in MY closet. It's got a little minor problem that I need to fix if I ever get around to it. I really like the analog meters like the 45's though. I've kind of been on the lookout for one for a while now.
  • TroyD
    edited January 2004
    Who knows?

The Amazings and the Silver 9's are keepers. Without spending a small fortune, I don't think you can beat them. The sources, sure, there is room for upgrade and different options there.

Preamps? Who knows. Same thing with the amps, you can spend as much as you like, maybe the performance will be a little better but I don't see it being exponentially better and I'm not a label conscious or new car smell oriented consumer.

BDT
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2004
    This forum hooked me a long time ago. My 2 channel is not as developed but this is where I'm at:

CL-20
    AR DAC-5
    SA-12
    AIM preamp with phono
    NAK PA 7
    Acoustat sub(passive and not bad at all.) Hafler crossover(great for hum reduction so far) and can take 500watts without blowing.;)

RTA8T's soon to be 15TL's. TT is next.

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2004
    Troy,
    Think you owe us some pics of the 9's sitting on the floor next to the CA's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    edited January 2004
    HBomb - I take it you're still keeping the 8t's?

Just thought I'd ask!:D
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • TroyD
    edited January 2004
    I'll work on borrowing a digital camera and get some photos up.

BDT