The Green Mile, finally watched it, had to walk out (warning spoilers ahead)

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 2002 in Music & Movies
I finally got around to watching this movie last night. I will say it is good, emotionally gripping, yet very disturbing, I do not like disturbing. This was the first movie that I had to walk out on.

I have a 5 year old daughter. Mainly why this movie did not sit well with me.

The opening scene in which John was in the field with the 2 dead little girls hit me hard. I saw it coming, but I did not expect the close-ups. That could have been cut out.

But, during the flash backs, when Wild Bill was using his knife to cut thru the screen to get to the little girls, I could not take it and had to leave. My wife stayed. She came and got me a few minutes later. She said nothing more happened and they did not show anything. But, even the thoughts alone got to me.

The ending was nothing compared to the murder of the little girls.

I do not like disturbing movies like this, espically ones where killing children are involved. There is enough of that in society today, it does not need to be in movies. This was the downfall of this film and I will not watch it again nor recommend to others for this reason. If an adult was used in place of the children, it would have been better.

If I would have known about the little girls, I would have passed on this one. Killing innocent children has no place in movies.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2002
    Yikes. I don't mind the killing of young innocent girls, of course, but I would have stayed away anyway. If this were something venerable like SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, I'd have recommended you stay away BUT read the book (the story, I mean). With this construction... There's not even a good story to recommend.

Ah, Stephen King...

What a waste.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    Ah, Stephen King...

What a waste

I agree. He's nothing more than a no-talent **** clown.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    i don't like much stephen king does either, however, i thought shawshank redemption was a great movie! i was suprised that king had any affiliation with that once i saw it. i also thought that the green mile was a gripping story, very interesting, and kept me intrigued throughout it. sorry you couldn't get past the scenes ron, to enjoy the rest of the film, of course you may not have enjoyed it at all. i however enjoyed both of these films....

i can feel it, the flame is coming....
  • AllenLongcor
    AllenLongcor Posts: 34
    edited February 2002
    I liked both the books and the stories. These are just people's opinions and they are entitled to them. Everyone has different tastes. I'm sure they like stuff that I would not touch with a ten foot pole. That's the beauty of movies, if you don't like it you don't ever have to watch it again. But if you want flame, then ummmmm you suck. :p
  • BrandonW
    BrandonW Posts: 57
    edited February 2002
    Speaking of steven king, you hear he is writing one more book and stopping? Aparently his odd based stories are starting to 'sound the same' and he is getting out of it...

ANother movie you probably would not like is samuel jackson in, a time to kill, prolly one of his best movies he did, but none the less very disturbing for a parent...

Brandon
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2002
    I've read a few Stephen King books. Not too many make for a good movie, 'cept Salems Lot.

I thought Green Mile was a pretty good movie, but to compare it to Shawshank is unfair. Shawshank is a looong movie that I can pick up on and watch the rest time after time.

When I saw Cape Fear (DeNiro) in the theater I literally laughed out loud when he bit that chick (I'm worped), but would have walked out if he would have done anything with what's her name when they were smoking that joint on stage. Kids is just too far.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited February 2002
    I dont know i enjoyed the green mile. It didnt bother me about killing of the children. For me it is easy to distinguish reality from make believe. I cant see how it is different from killing a kid as from a adult in this make believe world we watch.