Basic Questions

Options
jrrosas
jrrosas Posts: 12
I recently bought an Onkyo TX-SR501 and Polk RM6700 with the free 202.

The room in the apartment is 11' x 11.5' and I'm in the top floor. I tested the system using Star Wars EII and the room didn't stop shaking. I think it was cool but I'm not sure if this is good or not, my neighbor asked me about it the next day. I set the volume of the sub to almost zero and still the shaking is very big, is this normal? or the sub is placed incorrectly.

Can anybody suggest a good movie for demo the sub? what should I expect from it?

Something else, I have read in many places and it is frequently mentioned for the speaker settings, the values "Large" and "Small". I haven't found any place in the receiver to set this type of values, am I looking in the right place?

And finally, the receiver supports 6.1 but the distance to the TV isn't that long give the couch enough room for the rear speaker, can you advise on what to do here?

Thanks very much!
Post edited by jrrosas on

Comments

• warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited January 2004
    Options
    To me the most important bass is clean bass and not just boom. You should just go by your ear if it sounds funny than it is. Make sure there is enough space from the wall the farther from the wall the less boom you will have it sounds cleaner too. Its not just about loud go for quality.:D
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • EuroStyle
    EuroStyle Posts: 19
    edited January 2004
    Options
    You mention dropping the sub volume, but where is the cross voer set? The lower the cross over, the less boom you will get. Might want to also play with that..I knkow on my 202 I am trying all sorts of settings and have been able to make it to tame and quiet....and also loud and boomy like a low rider pick up....:)

Sean
  • jrrosas
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I tried adjusting the crossover to 150, it made the bass sound much better, I even could turn the volume up a little bit. I guess I'm getting there, I just need to place the sub farther from the wall. Let's see what happens.

Any answers regarding the "Large", "Small" settings?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Read your manual.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I have last years model TSXR500 and there is no setting. It runs in Full Range. as for Xover setting i have set at 80 and submode is on 1 (out of 3) ....seems to be the best for me. just tinker around and see what fits your ears the best....and YES read your manual!
    Life without music would
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2004
    Options
    OK - OK, listen up. If the volume on the sub is turned all the way down and rocking the sub then your gain for you sub on your reciever is way too high. Turn it down below zero and raise the volume on the sub about half way. For starters......

Set everything to small - its thier - read the manual.

You do not have to run the 6th channel - if you do place it high and downward.

Apartments and HomeTheater don't mix. How are your thin wall neighbers taking the new system.

Sounds like your new to HT - welcome the forum and ask questions - many knowledgeable people here.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by spasticpitbull
    I have last years model TSXR500 and there is no setting.
    No basic DD settings (small & large) on the new lower end Onkyo's. Interesting:confused:
  • jrrosas
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Yep, this is my first HT ever, I have lived with roommates for 5 years and I didn't want to spend money in something I would only care and maintain clean. I moved to my own apartment and it was something I always wanted, I read a lot about this stuff but my questions came out while doing the setup, this is something that it is only really learned doing it hands-on. I have read the manual many times, but no answers came out so I used this really useful forum.

Thanks everyone for the help. After the tweaking I asked my neighbor and he said he couldn't hear anything disturbant anymore. Good thing!

Perhaps my Onkyo 501 is not the best receiver but it is definitely very nice and with great quality. Good Polk speakers, just not a great sub but I think it will do the work for the moment.

Today is the big opening after having everything in place. I'm excited about that. :D
  • jrrosas
    edited January 2004
    Options
    scottvamp, what do u mean by: "You do not have to run the 6th channel - if you do place it high and downward." I don't need the 6th speaker for the 6.1? The receiver has an option to set the number of speakers, I set it to 5 instead of 6. Do you mean I can set as 6 and without having 6 speakers?
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I was saying that if you are having a problem placing the "6th" speakers you could chose not use it for now and set the reciever for 5 channel.
    But if you want to use it ( in a good size room I personally found much benifit for 6 and 7 channels) you can place it above the couch and fire it downward to avoid the direct ear firing from the couch placement.
    You did pick a nice little reciever.
    Sorry about the confusion.
    Enjoy !!!!\
    Scott
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Go to lowes or home depot and buy ya two square landscaping stones..like 7 bucks if that. Place your sub on top of them and your bass won't be directed into the floor as much. This will produce much tighter bass and shake the room less. Also, among finding your optimum placement next to the wall, try turning the sub 90 degrees so instead of facing the back wall, it will be facing the side wall.
    Welcome to the forum. There are some very sharp minds frequenting this place. Come often..you'll learn bunches.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend