Green light on speaker front

Options
Big Brown
Big Brown Posts: 1
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
Is the green ampilfier light supposed to stay on at all times.
even when the receiver is turned off?:confused:
Post edited by Big Brown on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hi:

Yes, it is. ;)

Gary
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    Options
    ...on which model speaker?
  • marcovv
    marcovv Posts: 5
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I got the rt5000 system, and the only light that stays on continuously is on the center speaker cs1000p. Altough the manual tells you differently, the lights on my rt3000's go out some time after receiving no signal.
  • mjmcg
    mjmcg Posts: 102
    edited July 2001
    Options
    does the 1000 have an auto on/off switch.....set to auto, it should go out.
  • sgtgto
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hi:

My mistake, I should have asked on which models:confused: I assumed you had the RT2000s or below.

Gary:D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2001
    Options
    on the powered subwoofer model towers..the light stays on in auto or on stage...this has been a topic for a while now..wich no one seems to have an answer for why the lights stay on...anyway..my 1000's have the light on all the time..and are on auto:o
  • marcovv
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Oh yeah, something else I discovered that will add to the riddle. The lights on my RT3000p's sometimes DO burn without reason and then turn off again. Without a signal, sometimes both, sometimes only one.
    At least the light on the cs1000p is consistent: it always burns in any mode, unless the power's cut off.
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me if they turn on randolmy because of interference in the line that it thinks is a signal.
  • marcovv
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I do admit: something is strange here. But as I wrote earlier, according to the manuals for both the cs1000p and the rt3000p's the lights should always be on once the subwoofers are hooked up to a power outlet. This is not the case for the 3000's and on top of that they seem to live their own lives once no signal is fed.:D
    But the most important thing is: the lights are always on when they should, and the system works perfectly.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I just realized that the green light on my psw1200 has not worked since day one. I just thought that the volume control was there and that's it. I want my green light; what's up with that ! :mad: :confused:
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Lights, man, they are our downfall. We make speakers, not lights! I swear, this is one of the most heinous things ever, especially when it comes to make manuals. Things -- manufacturer specs, amp specs, light configs -- all these things change all the time depending on what lines we have running in the factory, what engineers are on the project, and what the day's shipments include. Sometimes, it's even just that we get different little lights from the little light manufacturers.

The way it's supposed to work is, light ON continuously when the power is set to ON; light ON only when there's a signal (+15 minutes after) when power is set to AUTO; and light OFF when power is set to OFF. Simple huh? Wish we could make it actually work that way.

Now, I just went up front to one of the dark demo rooms (no demos today) and in there -- all equipment off -- are lots of little glowing green lights like eyes. Are they ON, or on AUTO? Who knows?

If you really need help on this, or are worried something's wrong, call cust serv and see what they say. They may know the secret!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Who cares about the "stinking" light...as long as the sucker sounds good! :)

"I've seen the light"

Next???:D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2001
    Options
    ...but the whole Polk bashing thing is getting a little tedious. Like 'em or leave 'em. Personally, I've got all good things to say generally about Polk. When anyone finds the perfect company with the perfect product, let me know.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Damn I hate crybabies.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    How did we get there?? Maybe someone put something in my coffee......

This has gotten beyond tedious. However I will say this, when we each get our own company, be it a speaker company or whatever, then we can run it they way we want. Just because you have an axe to grind against Polk doesn't mean the rest of us do. MAYBE, we like Polk the way it is. MAYBE, I appreciate the fact that I emailed Ken Swauger and told him I had an RT7 with a bad driver and Ken emailed be back within an hour or so and said, no worries, I will mail you a brand new one all I need is an address, no charge. NO hassle NO BS. MAYBE that is why I have bought more than one set of Polk's MAYBE I like dealing with a more Mom'n'Pop atmosphere where the bottom line is not ALWAYS about money or who sells the most speakers. MAYBE Matt Polk is more interested in having happy customers than more customers. Grant you not everything is perfect but you know what? I can't think of a bunch that goes further to try and make it right. You find a company with more satisfied customers or with better service, let me know.

Let's put this dog to bed, shall we?

Troy
  • marcovv
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Troy, you just beat my reply man! Here's what I had to say.

Stick to the point fellas.
    In principle I could't care less if the pilot lights stay on after signal loss or not, as long as everything works OK. And as I concluded in my last reply: "But the most important thing is: the lights are always on when they should, and the system works perfectly".

I did however mention that the lights on the powered subwoofer sections of my RT3000p's sometimes lit up without reason (haven't seen in lately though) and then go out again. And that could mean/have meant a loose connection somewhere? Is there a safety issue here???
    I still don't know. Micah's reply certainly wasn't helpfull, and I can't believe his reply is (should be!) shared by Polk's quality assurance / quality control department.
    The following is section of an e-mail reply I got from Polk's Ken Swauger (very helpful guy, A+) "Each individual component is compared, using a state-of-the-art computer controlled test equipment, to a laboratory standard. Then, each finished speaker is compared, as a whole, to the laboratory standard ensuring that the finished speaker is exactly like the reference standard. ". By the way, this reply was not pertaining the pilot light issue, but it surely covers it.

Would the proper conclusion be: standards change, manuals don't? With that I can live as long as it is confirmed. But the 'official' answer we get is inconclusive.
    Again, apart from this, I am very happy with my Polk system and it sounds great!! I :D my system, it's awesome!

Since you beat me to it Troy I can only confirm: Polk's customer service IS 1st class.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hey! I liked my reply. :(

Little things like this are a big deal to me, actually. I didn't give you the company line about lab testing and QA because I wanted you to get a sense that I felt your frustration with trying to figure out the little light schemes. Unfortunately, we have had a small problem in the past getting a handle on what we wanted the little lights to do and what they actually ended up doing. It's frustrating, especially when we're writing manuals and trying to match product to action in real life.

Of course, everything goes thru QA and the computer test, everything is built up to the lab standard and tested for it, but the little lights, because their performance doesn't impact the sound, as we mentioned, probably escape much notice.

I'd personally like to see us get a more standardized handle on how the little lights perform in the field.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    blah blah blah

blah
    blah

blah blah blah blah

yadda yadda yadda.....

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I was a litttle off target with my response....I was refering to this comment which seems to have been a common theme lately:

QUOTE]Call customer service on this simple issue??? well some company has allocate a lot of bugget for the 1-800 cost and resources... could use some of this for training and marketing.... [/QUOTE]

My point is this, power light are not a problem unique to Polk. Paradigm subs (which are great subs) have this problem. Point is, I am pretty sure that Polk, IF given the opportunity, would do everything possible to make it right. For the record, when I called Paradigm thier response was to pretty much put a piece of tape over it......

My apologies

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2001
    Options
    when I called Paradigm thier response was to pretty much put a piece of tape over it

Ok. I don't feel so bad now.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• marcovv
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Micah, no hard feelings buddy. It's only a light!! On or off.

Over and out!;)
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Options
    My stage is this: Lights ARE a big deal. Not nearly as big of a deal as sound or size or looks or cs or price or any of those thing polk put in priority over the lights. but the little things ae a big thing in the end. If you think of a brand name that you think is da' ****, you think of how great that product/service was manufactured/presented. things like light problems take you away from such gleefully trusting thougts. WE are polk's devoted customers and LOOk at how much we've posted about it.

Bottom line, When I buy a product, I want to be amazed after I buy it. I want it to have something the sales guy didn't tell me about. I don't want to worry about blinky lights.

I'm gonna go back into my hole on this subject. HAVE FUN.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Please keep this thread up. I am having a ball trying to decipher "The Duck's" interplanetary posts. What a joke!

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out the whole alien thing......

Troy
  • sgtgto
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hi All:

My personal opinion on the indicator lights is that they should go out when the amp shuts down, period. That would give a valid indication of the state of the speaker. I am not comfortable leaving my house with equipment powered up. If your house burns down you can never replace years of pictures, documents, memoriabilia, and you really have a mess on your hands.

To show you how the Lord works in my life, some years back my wife and I were getting ready to leave for church and I happen to hear a strange low frequency tssss kind of noise. I traced it to our MrCoffee. One of the switches was bad and was shorting out. If we had left the house at that time I believe my house would have burned down. We never leave certain things plugged in and when we go away for an extended period I unplug most everything in the house. I also turn off the water to the icemaker.

If you have an older house I would recommend pulling out every plug-in and switch and retorque the connections. You will be surprised at what you will find.

Gary