Hitachi calibration

Options
reeltrouble1
reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
edited January 2004 in Electronics
Went through the basic Avia RPTV calibration set up last night. The first step on the video menu is for White Level or Contrast adjustment, I just could not see the "blooming effect" they talk about on my set. Anybody have a Hitachi 53" and already do this. The factory setting for movies pushes the Contrast all the way to 100% so I am beginning to think their is no so called blooming for this model.

The brightness was to high and I readjusted this down to around 28%, Hue and Luminance down to 31%. I did not see much diff in the sharpness so I left it at around 40%.

Any help appreciated.:cool:
Post edited by reeltrouble1 on

Comments

• wrxmy02
    wrxmy02 Posts: 92
    edited January 2004
    Options
    You might of missed it ...they said on RPTV blooming does not show the same as a tube. Your right ..you can crank it to 100%
    and see a little blooming.
    Contrast adjustments are made to control your highlites. I found that test near useless on my Hitachi.
    Front: LSI7
    Center: LSIC
    Surrounds: LSI7
    SVS PB2-ISD SUB [MONOLITH!]
    ATI 1805 Amp
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Most people have their contrast WAY too high. You can indeed have blooming. Having the contrast too high not only increases the risk of burn-in, but shortens the lifespan of the tv.

Check out the following link for everything you need to know to setup your tv and then some:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=323602
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I just recently bought the 57F500. I ran thru the DVE disk and could not get the blooming effect to occur. My settings are: Contrast 38%, Brightness 41%, Color 36%. This is with the room fairly dark (except for some ambient light) fo movie watching. I found that the brightness is too low for watching TV during the day with a lot of light in the room.
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's