Help with calibration?????????

Options
newpolkman
newpolkman Posts: 23
edited January 2004 in Electronics
Just got digital spl meter from radio shack. I want to manualy calibrate my speakers. ON the receivers osd -- channel adjust-- I set all speakers to 0 . Now I can either use the receivers internal test or the AVIA disk to ballance the speakers.
This is where I get confused.
Do I now use the master volume to set the front left speaker to either 75db or 85db.
Or do I turn the master volume to 0
and then try to set front left speaker to either 75db or 85db and if so how ? please help me out here
rex
Post edited by newpolkman on

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2004
    Options
    NPM,

Good question, set your LF using your master volume to 85db if using the Avia disc, then leave it alone, calibrate the rest of the speakers using your individual speaker adjustments. You will need to remember where 85db is at for your system as this is your setting for reference level. Now this is going to be very loud, to loud for most rooms, but it gives a point to start from and talk about.

Do a search on calibration here and get your read on lots of good info.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2004
    Options
    newpolkman,

After calibration, you may want to consider boosting your surrounds by 1 or 2 dB's. True balance is just fine, but kicking up the surrounds a bit may add a little to your listening pleasure. Bottom line - give it a try and YOU decide what sounds best.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688