Bi-amping...should you?

2»

Comments

• 4_everyman
    4_everyman Posts: 50
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Manamp
    Izafar,

Provided you do it right with an electronic crossover, I am confident you will see an improvement. The biggest will be in bass, you will able to get more clean sound without strain.
    Can anyone recommend a good crossover for use with RTi150s in a bi-amp configuration?
    Rgds,
    --pete
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited January 2004
    I plan to Biamp Monday or so...

The problem with your receiver was this...

Your so used to your amp sound, you plugged the receiver back up...and you heard how bad it actually sounded.

Have a great day!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Manamp
    Manamp Posts: 71
    edited January 2004
    One of the more cost effective options is the Behringer CX-3400. It is a 3 way X-over with Balanced ins and outs and is a steal at $120 or so.
    If you are not judgemental, you don't care enough.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Manamp

By the way when you conducted your bi-amp tests, did you use an active crossover before the power amps or just used 2 amps and let the passive crossovers in the speakers do their work?

The latter is nearly as bad as not Bi-amping at all... I see little benefits of doing so. The real benefit is having an active crossover before the power amps and also eliminating the bass driver's crossover and connect the amp directly.

I definetly agree with this Manamp but I find my Center channel performs MUCH better in a (quasi bi-amp) even using the crossovers inside the speaker. I just can't justify the additional expense for an external crossover for my HT rig.

Also if you have any experience with the STASIS technology I'd love to get my learn on(I'll start a thread if I get a nod). I have a NAK PA-7 and it is amazing!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Manamp
    edited January 2004
    Woohoo!

I have two Nak PA-7's and love em too!

I actually biased mine to 50 watts class-A, they look awesone and sound awesone.

I'd be happy to read a read on the Stasis technology, lets go create a thread!

MA.
  • VR3
    edited January 2004
    I have the RTi70, 2 Adcom GFA-545 wired to it.

Before I had 1 545, the highs were pretty unclear and undefined.

I wired this other Adcom to it and amazingly it had highs. I thought I had changed speakers. If you have the extra money, even the worst speakers will appreciate your biamping kindness.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Manamp
    edited January 2004
    Sid,

Have you had the chance to audition the 545Mk.II? Once I did,

I sold my 545's on ebay and got 3 545MK.II's, I think they are the best sounding amps Adcom made Period! (well add to the list the 535II but it is the same circuit as the 545II, even uses the same boards).

This is one man's opinion but I thought I'd ask,
  • VR3
    edited January 2004
    I own......

Adcom GFA-545
    Adcom GFA-545 II
    Adcom GFA-535
    Adcom GFA-535 II
    Adcom GFA-535 II

I personally like all their sounds. The Original series has a sweeter sound to me. IMO.