power handling

Options
cbsimpson
cbsimpson Posts: 1
edited January 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I recently "inherited" my dads old M10A stereo speaker set and the specs say they have a 200 watt per channel maximum power handling. I have a KLH amplifier with a maximum output of 100 watts per channel. Does this mean that I can crank up the volume on the amp to maximum without fear of damaging my speakers. Thanks.
Post edited by cbsimpson on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2004
    Options
    No, actually you will have be even MORE careful with the volume than if you had a 300wpc amp.

You are more likely to damage your speakers by using an under-powered amp and driving it to clipping, than using an 'over' powered amp and meeting or exceeding the recommended wattage of the speakers (without clipping).

Clipping is your word for the day, search, read.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I'll just add one more comment. You can never, "crank up the volume on the amp to maximum" on any amp without the amp clipping. I'll say it one more time in a easy to understand way. If you turn up the volume as far as the knob turns, then you're a effn idiot and don't deserve to own any hi-fi gear!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I once blew a mid/woofer in my M10B when comparing it to a 30 watt speaker. The receiver was rated at 110 w/ch (I think) and was a little more than halfway up.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Manamp
    Manamp Posts: 71
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I agree with Russman and F1.

Clipping means the sinewave amplitude has met with the amp's DC rails. At that point you are driving DC into your speakers.

This forces the Voice-coils of the drivers to go to the extremes and not be able to cool themselves as they are out of the magnetic gap, and in that state the current running through the coil cannot be converted into acoustic energy so it is converted into heat energy and Sheesh-kabab!!!
    If you are not judgemental, you don't care enough.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Clipping is your word for the day, search, read.
    After reading MA's post I did just that, scratching my head as I Googled, and there's a whole new theory of clipping and it's impact on speakers out there to be had.

Willl try to absorb it tomorow.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Even setting aside the whole issue of amp-clipping--- Power handling, as related to speakers, is such a misunderstood term that it probably shouldn't even be stated. There are just too many variables involved. It would be POSSIBLE to damage almost any speaker with almost any amplifier, regardless of power ratings. Almost.

Maybe this is one area where Bose is on the right track.

Jason
  • Manamp
    Manamp Posts: 71
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Jason is right. It is very complex indeed. Take for example a woofer driver rated at 50 watts open air. That driver will take 200 watts all day in an properly designed cabinet that gives it enough compliance.

When is doubt, get all the SL3000's you can ;)
    If you are not judgemental, you don't care enough.