Thoughts from those with the 360 Kinect

Haugarth
Haugarth Posts: 11
edited November 2010 in Video Games
So the kinect is officially out in the wild now and I have heard a lot of mixed reviews. For those that have decided to be an early adopter of the unit, what's the thought? Is this just a fad that will fizzle out over the course of the next 6 months or is it for real?
Post edited by Haugarth on

Comments

• FittyFieFo
    FittyFieFo Posts: 482
    edited November 2010
    I went to my brother's house the other day and he had the Xbox Kinect. Of course I wanted to try it. I did Kinect Adventures and did the rafting, volleyball, bowling, and ping pong.

My first thoughts: Interesting because it's not like Wii because you are actually the controller. The thing is pretty accurate too, some glitches, but fine.

I worked up a sweat because you actually have to side step to get the Volleyball. Jump in the air and spike the ball. Your movements = Your Controls. Unlike Wii/PS3 Move, you don't have the luxury of being lazy one day and sitting on the couch and bowl. You have to physically stand up and do the movements like in real life.

Not sure what the technology holds for us in the future, but it'd be insane to have this in a FPS or any other type game using the Kinect.
    Samsung LN52A850 (52" 1080P LCD TV) | RTi A9's (Fronts) | Csi A6(Center) | FXi A6 (Rear Surrounds) | SVS PB12-NSD (Sub) | Oppo BDP-103 | Panamax M5300-PM

Pre-Amp: Marantz AV7005 | Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 | Speaker wires: Signal Cables | Interconnects: Signal Cables
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2010
    I wanna see some FPS on that thing. Maybe even have to pick up your guns off the couch!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Haugarth
    edited November 2010
    FittyFieFo - what about any experienced lag? For instance in dodgeball, if you moved out of the trajectory of a ball and there was a momentary lag (it would be completely infuriating). It seemed like all the initial reviewers said it was awful...but lately I've been reading that it's acceptable.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited November 2010
    On my system, I get some input lag in general because I'm using a projector... but I wasn't having any issues whatsoever with noticeable lag with Kinect, and I always felt like it was hitting stuff when I moved my hand or body. It works surprisingly well.

As for whether it will last, I think that depends on what they do with it for hardcore gamers. They've said that games are coming that use both the controller and Kinect, and that's what I want to see. The technology is very cool... but without games, that's all it will be - cool technology. Still, the bowling and table tennis alone felt worth the purchase, and I've had some fun with it.

And on a related note, YES the 3-D mapping of your body works quite well... even if you show it your wang. BAH HA HA HA HA!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited November 2010
    And on a related note, YES the 3-D mapping of your body works quite well... even if you show it your wang. BAH HA HA HA HA!

They mapped your wang? Opens up a whole new genre of gaming right there...:wink:
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, there's an app on the dash that shows a 3-D silhouette of what Kinect sees... and I thought "What the hell!" Heh...

Told a friend about it, and he was like, "Dude, that's the first thing I did after I hooked it up!" :p
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited November 2010
    Great, can see it now, all those new avatars popping up on xbox live :rolleyes:.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited November 2010
    the new exercise game looks pretty cool, can't remember what it's called but I believe Mark Sanchez is one of the guys pushing it.

The EA active thing also looks cool.
  • FittyFieFo
    FittyFieFo Posts: 482
    edited November 2010
    Haugarth wrote: »
    FittyFieFo - what about any experienced lag? For instance in dodgeball, if you moved out of the trajectory of a ball and there was a momentary lag (it would be completely infuriating). It seemed like all the initial reviewers said it was awful...but lately I've been reading that it's acceptable.

Hmm...from the games I've played I had no lag. I think it takes some time getting used to. We'll see what technology holds for us in the future when Xbox 720 (or whatever the name will be) comes out. :)
    Samsung LN52A850 (52" 1080P LCD TV) | RTi A9's (Fronts) | Csi A6(Center) | FXi A6 (Rear Surrounds) | SVS PB12-NSD (Sub) | Oppo BDP-103 | Panamax M5300-PM

Pre-Amp: Marantz AV7005 | Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 | Speaker wires: Signal Cables | Interconnects: Signal Cables
  • cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited November 2010
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I wanna see some FPS on that thing. Maybe even have to pick up your guns off the couch!

lol. people might quit playing after they shoot the TV.
  • Haugarth
    edited November 2010
    Great to hear the positive reviews. I may have to keep my eyes open for a Black Friday deal on the hardware. Thanks guys!
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited November 2010
    Can anyone give any games recommendation?
    Is it true that you shouldn't move your feet when using kinect?
  • kuntasensei
    edited November 2010
    ysss wrote: »
    Can anyone give any games recommendation?
    Is it true that you shouldn't move your feet when using kinect?

Kinect Sports has gotten the most play from me. And no, that's absolutely NOT true about moving your feet. Moving your feet is what makes this different from the other motion controls, because it tracks your entire body. And the games USE your entire body, whether it be kicking dodgeballs with your feet or stepping to the other side of the table during table tennis.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited November 2010
    Kinect Sports has gotten the most play from me. And no, that's absolutely NOT true about moving your feet. Moving your feet is what makes this different from the other motion controls, because it tracks your entire body. And the games USE your entire body, whether it be kicking dodgeballs with your feet or stepping to the other side of the table during table tennis.

Oh, must've been something I read on one of the early previews... or have I mistaken it with PS3's Play?

At any rate, I'm glad to hear about it :) Cause I have a kinect on order already...