cabinet for 95 civic coupe

rehall
rehall Posts: 9
edited November 2010 in Car Subwoofer Talk
i have a pair of mm2124's that i want to build a sealed cabinet for.i know spec's say .88 for each.does this include polyfill ?if so,how much?i have a rockford power 500 to push these so wattage is plentyful.i listen mostly to rock and want kick more so than boom.bass slap and electronic keyboard bass more so than majic mike.i am willing to give up a little spl for more gut impact and deep bass throw.will building the cabinet a little larger do this?say 1.0 cuft.i can go as wide in my trunk as 32 in. and 16in heigth.depth is variable.i have .75 mdf and i want to put a center divider in to seperate the woofers and double as a brace.i'm looking for some HxWxD dimentions better than the polk page gives.customer service suggestions or anyone with same car/equipment exp.
Post edited by rehall on

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2010
    .88 cu. ft. is the recommended internal volume (not including the driver/magnet).

Take that into consideration. Adding polyfill will help slow down soundwaves and help make the sub sound as if it were in a slightly bigger box.

I've heard MM's and even in a sealed enclosure, you won't be giving up too much SPL. I prefer SQ over SPL (not the only one around here ;))

With that, it shouldn't be hard figuring out box dimensions. All depends how custom you wish to make it.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • rehall
    edited October 2010
    rehall wrote: »
    i have a pair of mm2124's that i want to build a sealed cabinet for.i know spec's say .88 for each.does this include polyfill ?if so,how much?i have a rockford power 500 to push these so wattage is plentyful.i listen mostly to rock and want kick more so than boom.bass slap and electronic keyboard bass more so than majic mike.i am willing to give up a little spl for more gut impact and deep bass throw.will building the cabinet a little larger do this?say 1.0 cuft.i can go as wide in my trunk as 32 in. and 16in heigth.depth is variable.i have .75 mdf and i want to put a center divider in to seperate the woofers and double as a brace.i'm looking for some HxWxD dimentions better than the polk page gives.customer service suggestions or anyone with same car/equipment exp.

if i did go with .88,how much polyfill should i use?half a pound?one pound?how much will it take to allow for woofer/magnet and divider volume?polk shows dual cabinet dimensions for everything but sealed.as far as coming up with measurements.is taking away an inch from width and adding it to depth going to give me the same internal volume?help!
  • rehall
    edited October 2010
    what i need is some help from KIM or anyone else in customer service.i went to the 12 volt and punched in polks sealed cabinet measurements for a .88 and it came up with an internal volume of .96875.has polk already allowed for the woofer/magnet and this is the differance?i'm ready to build this cabinet but i'm not going to until i know it's done right the first time.
  • rehall
    edited November 2010
    Kim, thanks for your help.The only question I still have is about moving measurements around.I have limited height and width but depth is not a problem.If I,m short an inch on height and add it on to the depth, does my internal volume end up the same? thank you for your help!
  • rehall
    edited November 2010
    I want to say that I'm sorry for being such a bother but either I'm not asking the right questions or I'm not understanding all of your answers.Let me try to make this easier for both of us.After reading my first post and seeing what kind of sound I'm after I would like you to suggest a cabinet size; .88,.96 or whatever you reccomend.The maximum amount of space I have to work with is 32w x 16h x 14d.I will use .75mdf and I will install a center divider.Would you please give me exact measurements and tell me what the internal volume will be.Again, thank you very much for all of your help!
  • rehall
    edited November 2010
    Kim,you hi the nail on the head.You gave me exactly what I was looking for.A picture is worth a thousand words.That means a picture with exact dimensions and specs,well.......The amp I have is a rockford fosgate power t5002.I will run it mono at 2 ohms.I've been a polk fan since about 1978 and all your help is just another reason I've been one for so long.Thank you!
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited November 2010
    Second to none= Polk Customer Service.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft