DVD Player to Receiver Connection

Options
thayes34
thayes34 Posts: 10
I have purchased a Denon 3803 Receiver and a Denon 2200 DVD Player. I have read here that they need to be connected with 6 analog RCA connectors and either a digital coax or optical connection. I haven't received the items yet so I don't have the manuals. Can you connect them with component video cables?
Post edited by thayes34 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2004
    Options
    In order to get the best video quality you should use component video cables to connect the DVD player to your receiver. You will also need to use an S-video cable a second set of component video cables from the receiver to your tv.

The audio cables are pretty straight forward as well. 6 RCA connectors (3 pair) from the 6 channel output to the corresponding inputs on the receiver. This will pass all of the decoded SACD/DVD-A signals to the receiver. You will also need to use a toslink or digital coax cable, this will allow all of the normal audio signals (DTS, DD,) to be sent to the receiver for decoding.

Hope this helps.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Loud &amp; Clear
    Loud &amp; Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Why do people run any video cable into their receivers? Frank says to run component out of the DVD player into the receiver, then run component and S Video out of the receiver into the TV. I'm lost here. First of all, wouldn't you just run component out of the DVD player into the TV? And why use S Video at all?

Agree about the audio connections.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2004
    Options
    LC,
    Connecting the video cables to the receiver allows you to use it for video switching. It makes sense to do so if your TV has a limited number of inputs. The S-video cable or composite video cable is needed because in most cases the receiver cannot convert the signals from other sources (DSS, cable, VCR) to a component video signal.

In alot of cases it's simply a matter of personal prefrence. It is easier to to just point the remote at the receiver and switch seamlessly between sources than it is to have to cycle through the inputs on the tv, then the receiver.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Loud &amp; Clear
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Ahhh, I get it. Hmmm, maybe I'll have a use for something like that. Thanks, Frank.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2004
    Options
    The 3803 does have video upconverting.

Personally I don't use that feature, because my HDTV has plenty of inputs.

But if you want to, you can connect all your video sources to the 3803 and then run one set of component video cables to the HDTV. I think you still might need an S-video or an RCA cable for the GUI OSD menu, though. I use an RCA and it works fine.

Regardless, I also agree with the audio cables - six analog for DVD-A and one digi coax or toslink for DD and DTS.

You could also use the six analog cables for DD/DTS since the 2200 has an onboard decoder, but I recommend using the 3803 with the digital connection since it can also do DD-EX, DTS-ES, and DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • thayes34
    edited January 2004
    Options
    This is good stuff fellas. I don't have an HDTV, I have a 36" Sony WEGA Flat screen. It has component connects and an S-Video.

If I understand this correctly I need to hook Component from Receiver to DVD and Component from Receiver to TV.

6 RCA's from DVD to Receiver.

Also S video from Receiver to TV (for Cable, VCR, etc..)

I have a Digital Cable box (General Instrument Brand) it looks like it only has Aux in and out on it. There are 3 black connectors on one side but they don't look like RCA's, they are recessed and have plastic around them resembling an RCA but they aren't. Any idea what these are?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2004
    Options
    You only need to use the 3803 for video upconverting if you have too many video signals for your TV to accept.

Otherwise go direct to your TV with all video sources as the 3803 in the loop "might" degrade the signal (no matter how little) as compared to a direct connection. Denon claims no signal degradation, but why mess with the proven direct connection?

Don't forget about the RCA or S video from the 3803 to your TV for the Graphical User Interface On Screen Display Menu. Strangely, Denon hasn't figured out how to send the GUI OSD through the component video cables (go figure). Again, I use an RCA composite video cable for this and it works fine.

Also, you will still need a digital cable (coax or fiber optic) for letting your 3803 decode audio for DVD movies. This is preferred over letting your 2200 do the decoding.

Doc

SVS
  • Loud &amp; Clear
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    You only need to use the 3803 for video upconverting if you have too many video signals for your TV to accept.

Otherwise go direct to your TV with all video sources as the 3803 in the loop "might" degrade the signal (no matter how little) as compared to a direct connection. Denon claims no signal degradation, but why mess with the proven direct connection?

Don't forget about the RCA or S video from the 3803 to your TV for the Graphical User Interface On Screen Display Menu. Strangely, Denon hasn't figured out how to send the GUI OSD through the component video cables (go figure). Again, I use an RCA composite video cable for this and it works fine.

Also, you will still need a digital cable (coax or fiber optic) for letting your 3803 decode audio for DVD movies. This is preferred over letting your 2200 do the decoding.

Doc

His 2200, like mine, and I assume your 2900, won't include a 6th or 7th channel anyway, right? It's strictly 5.1 for SACD & DVD-A, or at least that was my assumption, as the preamp in our Denon's won't process or matrix anything.

Oh, and, you don't have your 3803's GUI/OSD displayed on your monitor via component or DVI?! A regular composite for menu selection?! ;>}

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• thayes34
    edited January 2004
    Options
    If I go direct to the TV from the Digital Cable box, and direct to the TV from the DVD, won't I miss the some of the decoding of the 3803? What if Cable broadcasts in 5.1? I wouldn't process it then would I?
  • Loud &amp; Clear
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I would go from my cable box to my receiver, directly, whether or not the box has actual digital outs. At the very worst you'll still get Dolby Pro Logic II.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• Dr. Spec
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Sure, the 2200 has an onboard DD/DTS decoder, and if you want to use the 6 analog cables for any 5.1 you can.

But it won't do DD-EX, DTS-ES, or DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete. Because of this, I always use the digi out for movies and let the 3803 and it's better processor decode the audio stream.

Thayes - you need to think discrete when envisioning signal processing. The video portion will go to your TV monitor, and the audio portion will go to your 3803.

So for the DVD player - component video cables to the TV for video, and digitial coax to the 3803 for sound. And also 6 analog cables to the 3803 for SACD and DVD-A sound.

Same thing for your digital cable box. Video feed to the TV, and audio feed (another digital coax) to the 3803.

SVS
  • thayes34
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I have conflicting info. Frank Z (who sounds very bright) says to use my component connect on my TV from the Receiver. Dr. Spec (who also sounds very bright) says to use my only component connect on my TV from my DVD player.

Are they both right? Who's more right?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2004
    Options
    The info really doesn't conflict.

The 3803 is capable of processing ALL of your input video signals and upconverting them to component video. This is a nice and clean solution if you have multiple video sources and want just ONE connection to your TV.

If you don't have a lot of video sources (maybe just two), then just connect them straight to the TV. Whatever is easier and cleaner for you.

I doubt you would be able to tell a difference in PQ between a direct connect and connection through the 3803. I just choose not to use my 3803 in that manner, mostly because I didn't feel like ordering another set of component video cables! :o

SVS
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2004
    Options
    It's up to you. I prefer to connect things as directly as I can. It is better to go source-to-source than source-to-switch-to-source. However, going through the receiver will give you the benefit of less remote control clicking, and enable you to hook up more video components. You'll have to figure out what best suits your needs.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • Loud &amp; Clear
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    It's up to you. I prefer to connect things as directly as I can. It is better to go source-to-source than source-to-switch-to-source. However, going through the receiver will give you the benefit of less remote control clicking, and enable you to hook up more video components. You'll have to figure out what best suits your needs.

Regards,
    PolkThug

I totally agree. Don't do the middle man if you don't have to.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited January 2004
    Options
    TH, on your beginning question, component video cables are a set of three 75 ohm digital coaxial cables, so one of them could of course be used for a digital coaxial audio connection. They could also be used for the six analog connections, although less expensive cables would be fine.