Monitor 7b's for $65?

Options
daway
daway Posts: 6
edited October 2010 in Vintage Speakers
Hey everyone,

First post here! I already posted over on Audiokarma.org but figured you guys would know more about these.

I was browsing the local Craigslist and came across an ad for some Polk Audio Monitor 7bs for $65. Called the guy and I'm going out Sunday to check them out. I am pretty excited, $65 seems very fair for these speakers and I'll have a chance to try them out before I buy as well.

I'm new to "real" stereo equipment and am just getting in to vinyl as well (coming from some crappy Altec Lansing 2.1 system with mostly mp3s...what a difference vinyl and decent speakers make!).

Right now I have a pair of newer Series II Polk Audio Monitor 30s paired with a PSW-10 sub (all scored on newegg.com clearance for under $200 total), so I'm excited to try out these vintage Polk speakers as I've heard that the 7bs are pretty well regarded.

Anyone have thoughts on these 7b's? Anything I should look out for when I got check them out? I've attached the pictures from his ads.
Post edited by daway on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Great buy. Those have the peerless tweeters to boot.
    Welcome to club Polk.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Those look beautiful and for $65 you won't find a better speaker. They will blow your new monitors in sound quality.

When you go see them gently press and hold the passive radiator. The midwoofer should move out and stay there for a couple of seconds. If it doesn't move, the MW might be frozen. Not good. If it moves but goes right back, you have some air leaks in the cabinet. Probably an easy fix.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk!

And what a way to 'enter'. Those are nice bookshelves. I have the Peerless M-5s, a model down from yours, and do have one of the problems Ricardo mentions above. My drivers are not properly sealed so it looks like MORTITE (in case you have that problem--I hope not).

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Those are great speakers. Can't beat them for 65 bucks.
  • vstarkwell
    vstarkwell Posts: 328
    edited October 2010
    Options
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Those are great speakers. Can't beat them for 65 bucks.

I agree!!!!
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Those aren't the original stands. Kinda tall and you might lose some bass having them that high.
    If they seem a bit shallow sit them off the floor about a foot and angle them back about 5 degrees.
    Nice condition MODEL 7's, Peerless, and a top notch speaker in that size bracket.
    Grab 'em up and enjoy. Great entry into 2 ch Polk!
    Welcome to Club Polk.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Why you didn't buy them already is odd. I'm not sure I agree with the stands comment from HB27, not original...agreed but perhaps I missed the height of them as simple.

Any loudspeaker nut should always have a really nice pair of stands to complement bookends, period. 24-26" will cover almost anything you will find...as a generic figure. I have a pair of adjustable stands that have worked for over 3 dozen loudspeakers over the years.

A nice stand investment will always work a great return....get a pair and you'll never lose a penny on resale if they're solid.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • daway
    edited October 2010
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Why you didn't buy them already is odd. I'm not sure I agree with the stands comment from HB27, not original...agreed but perhaps I missed the height of them as simple.

Any loudspeaker nut should always have a really nice pair of stands to complement bookends, period. 24-26" will cover almost anything you will find...as a generic figure. I have a pair of adjustable stands that have worked for over 3 dozen loudspeakers over the

I haven't bought them yet because Sunday is the first day we're both available to meet. I'll definitely take your advice on the stands though! I knew those weren't the right stands but if he's throwing them in I'll take them for now.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Excellent speaker and deal.

The 7B was produced 1979 – 1984 and retailed for ~ $480. I am guessing that yours are an early production of the 7B since it has the cardboard gaskets around the MW and PR and the Peerless tweeters.

Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited October 2010
    Options
    For $65, that's a no brainer. Excellent sounding pair of speakers.

I've got a pair of 7A's...which are essentially the same speakers...and I absolutely love them. Truly a great sounding pair of speakers. I doubt that you could find a better sounding pair of speakers for less than $200 or so. I highly doubt that I'll ever part with my 7A's.:)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It looks to me as though the fuse installed on the rear of those might be the wrong amperage. I pretty sure those require a 1amp fast-blo.:)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You are correct gdb.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • daway
    edited October 2010
    Options
    gdb wrote: »
    It looks to me as though the fuse installed on the rear of those might be the wrong amperage. I pretty sure those require a 1amp fast-blo.:)

Where can I get the correct ones?
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I bought a pair of the 7Bs in 1979 and still own them. That is an excellent price if the drivers are in good shape. The fast blow 1 amp fuses are not uncommon, possibly Radioshack if no other place. Many online parts places like parts connexion. I did rebuild the crossovers in mine a few years ago replacing the electrolytic capacitors and updating the resistors. Made a very nice improvement and was a pretty simple project. The large drivers are passive radiators that are coupled to the mid driver by the sealed cabinet. That is why the instructions were given to gently press the passive radiator and see the motion of the middriver. The original mid drivers sometimes froze up or slipped their magnets causing them to not move. If they respond appropriatly this is a very good price for some IMO excellent vintage speakers.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • vstarkwell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    daway wrote: »
    I haven't bought them yet because Sunday is the first day we're both available to meet.

Well did you get them?
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • daway
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yup picked them up today. Got to listen to them there before I left and they sounded perfect, then I brought them home and now one of them has some distortion!

I've tried switching speaker cables, switching channels on my receiver, and even switching fuses between the speakers.

The distortion sounds like it could be coming from the tweeter, but I am not really sure.
  • vstarkwell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!, you won't be disappointed as for the distortion I'm not technically proficient. I'm sure some of the kind knowledgeable folks on this site will be able to assist. Actually a few of the responses you got on this thread are from some of thee most knowledgeable.
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited October 2010
    Options
    daway wrote: »
    Yup picked them up today. Got to listen to them there before I left and they sounded perfect, then I brought them home and now one of them has some distortion!

I've tried switching speaker cables, switching channels on my receiver, and even switching fuses between the speakers.

The distortion sounds like it could be coming from the tweeter, but I am not really sure.

I'd check the mid woofers for the distortion.
    They're notorious for the magnets shifting in transport. The glue on the magnets dries up after so many years allowing the magnet on the frame to actually shift and cause the noises or even lock up causing lack of base.
    I'm not saying that's your issue but it's a possibility and worth checking out.
    Then again, anything electronic can fail at anytime.
    It's a simple system so troubleshooting will be quick and easy.
    Congrats on the purchase.
  • daway
    edited October 2010
    Options
    HB27 wrote: »
    I'd check the mid woofers for the distortion.
    They're notorious for the magnets shifting in transport. The glue on the magnets dries up after so many years allowing the magnet on the frame to actually shift and cause the noises or even lock up causing lack of base.
    I'm not saying that's your issue but it's a possibility and worth checking out.
    Then again, anything electronic can fail at anytime.
    It's a simple system so troubleshooting will be quick and easy.
    Congrats on the purchase.

I pulled the mid woofer and nothing seemed out of place, but then again I am not really sure what I should be looking for.

I actually think I may just be hearing the rattling of the rubber covering of the tweeter (sorry I don't know what else to call it). I have been messing around just feeling the tweeter and manipulating the tweeter's cover as it is playing and now it magically sounds better....

Forgive me for being so technically inept :o
  • daway
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Hopefully the sound stays away, although I really don't know what I did to get rid of it. But I LOVE these speakers, they sound so natural and smooth compared to my new Monitor 30's paired with PSW-10 Woofer (not that they are slouches by any means). Both sets of speakers are hooked up to my Pioneer VSX-5600 receiver through the A & B channels so I can switch between them pretty easily. Definitely a different listening experience that I really appreciate.

I think I will try to build stands for the 7b's soon so they can reach their full potential, which doesn't seem to hard after looking at this thread:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24335
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Good to hear you're enjoying them!! Peerless M7's are one of the best sounding budget speakers out there. They should definitely smoke your Monitor 30's up, down and all around...and should put out more bass by themselves than your PSW10 is capable of.

I'd highly recommend building/finding a proper pair of stands for them. Mine didn't have stands when I got them, but I managed to track down a pair of original stands for them. They made for a VERY appreciable improvement in sound.

I've found that the 7's can be somewhat picky in regards to toe-in. I'd suggest playing around with different amounts of toe-in over the next few weeks. I've found mine to work best with about 1 1/4" of toe in, with them spaced about 9' apart and the seating position about 8' from the center point of the sound stage. This gives them enough toe-in that the tweeters fire past the ears, and intersect at a point roughly 2 feet or so behind my head. Makes for some great sound staging, and some very cheap sonic bliss. :)

I'd also strongly recommend performing the Mortite mod to them. Search the forum if you haven't heard of this. It's a very cheap upgrade to perform($3-4 or so), and makes for a very substantial improvement in bass extension and authority. It really makes the low end a lot more solid.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's