kind of blue...

2»

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2002
    George is one of those rare folks that, not only is he a looker, but can converse intelligently on a variety of topics..

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    EF Hutton...when he speaks, we listen.

Thanks George!

-luc
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2002
    You're welcome Micah, thank you Troy, you're welcome and thank you Luc.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited February 2002
    kind of blue is a graet performance, but the sound has a little tape noise if it wasnt for that it would be a awesome cd
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited February 2002
    Kind Of Blue is the cd that got me turned on to jazz..you need to hear some of Miles more experimental stuff now to offset it..In A Silent Way is his next best IMO next to Kind Of Blue
  • George Grand
    edited February 2002
    Joe Zawinul ("Mercy, Mercy, Mercy", "Birdland" etc.) was responsible for "In a Silent Way". It appears as an original on his cd "Zawinul". It was written for the mountains in Austria where he grew up. There is also a great cut on that cd/album which is a tribute to Herbie Hancock. It is entitled "Dr. Honoris Causa".

"This next song is dedicated to the pr*ck backstage who is counting the overtime money."
    FZ
    (the intro to the encore at Carnegie Hall, 1971. Zappa was told he had to pay $600 up front if he wanted to use the hall past midnight. Best show I ever saw. Maybe cause it was the best band that ever existed, at a great hall before they "re-did" it and dicked up the acoustics.)
  • Billm57
    edited February 2002
    yep good stuff..I have that Cannon Ball Adderly with Mecry Mercy Mercy on it..I just picked up Herbie Hancok Mwandishi..great stuff
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2002
    I'm pretty sure my roommate in college had the "Zawinul" CD.
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, then it was some good material. Never made a copy though....

Jason
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    i just ordered:

joh coltrane. the very best of john coltrane
    dave brubeck. time out
    sonny rollins. saxaphone colossus

thanks for the recommendations guys!:D
  • Billm57
    edited February 2002
    Juice21-great choices..that best of coltrane is a good start if you dont own any of his other stuff..some of his best stuff is on there..
  • George Grand
    edited February 2002
    Yeah Mwandishi! I forgot about that one. There were a couple more albums (pre-Headhunters) that featured damn close to the Headhunters line-up (Julian Priester, Bennie Maupin, Billy Hart instead of Harvey Mason). I think one was "Crossings". I think another one might have been "Sextant", although I could be starting to confuse song titles with albums. I definitely did NOT like the album following Headhunters. I think it was called "Thrust". As for Headhunters itself, I really only listen to Chameleon and Sly. Chameleon for the soundstage (great SDA stuff girls), and Sly because it is wicked, evil, awesome jazz of a sort.

Try Sonny Rollins "Way Out West". Widely recognized as a great recording, plus you get a couple different versions of "I'm an Old Cowhand" on sax. SOME stuff that is "too good to be true"....isn't false.

"It would be easier to pay off the national debt overnight, than to neutralize the long-range effects of our national stupidity."
    FZ
  • Billm57
    edited February 2002
    George - actually what I have is called "Mwandishi-the complete warner bros recordings"..its actually his 3 warner bros albums on 2 cd's..The Fat Albert Rotund, Mwandishi, and Crossings..Crossings is probably the weakest of the 3 but very fusiony..sounds alot like **** Brew..The Fat Albert stuff is excellent though..good funk jazz..Yea I though Thrust wasnt to hot either..I highly recommend this set though ..