Audio plans for 2004?

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited July 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
OK guys, what do guys have up your sleeves for the coming year?

I've been thinking long and hard about it and to be honest, I'm sort of stumped. My 2ch rig is DONE. I doubt, seriously, that it will fundamentally change unless I win the lottery for many years.

I've got all the parts for Wendi's bedroom rig, I just have to assemble it is all.

HT? This is what I'm thinking about. Instead of MORE channels, I'm thinking about LESS. I'm thinking about going back to good old 2.0 stereo. What I'm THINKING about is bagging, at some point, another pair of Carver Amazings, preferably the Platinum MKIV's and doing away with the sub. I COULD leave the surround rig there or I could use either the CJ or the C-16 with the m400a bridged mono. To be honest, surround, I could really care less about. I mean, think about it, how cool would it be to have TWO pairs of Amazings in the house? If I want surround, I'll just move that to Wendi's bedroom rig. Win Win deal, really.

I dunno, we shall see but that's what I'm leaning towards at the moment......

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2004
    Max started it with the build your own SDA's with matching speakers. It is for this reason I begged the lovely Sherry for agreeing on my next purchase(Russmans 15's). I hope to pair them up with my 8T's and attempt the SDA effect. My only experience with this was my late Carver CM1090 and I wish I still had.

The Bomb Shelter should get very interesting over the next year because my fragile little mind is swimming with thoughts that are truely for the gifted.

1/4Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2004
    BDT,

Please don't jeopardize my standing with your wife by spending a lot of cash on frivolous stuff, whose origins she might attribute to me. Mess up my chances with her and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forgive you.

Besides, it's not two pair of Amazing's I have here in-house. It's one pair Amazing's and one pair AR-9's. You wanna be me or what? Going off on your own with your own ideas? I don't know man.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2004
    I'm having similar thoughts Troy. Actually, I'd probably just run a stereo rig in HT room, if I hadn't already run the wire / wall plugs etc for the rears.

Regardless, I'm happy with THAT rig, and don't see any changes until something breaks.

With the newly acquired AR 310HO's, the 'whole house' rig is pretty much done, all zones covered and accounted for.

As far as the cave goes, I've taken a step backwards, and looking for an amp at this point. If I can't find something relatively soon, I'm just going to buy another Rotel - the ones I have WORK for me. Main goal, which should be wrapped up shortly - getting the vinyl side in the cave complete. Nothing too fancy, low-end Music Hall and Sumiko/Parasound phono stage.

Last but not least, I'll re-visit the garage rig in the spring. The only thing that has survived out there is the rebuilt Monitor 2's that I got from George, so they won't go ANYWHERE.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by George Grand
    BDT,

Please don't jeopardize my standing with your wife by spending a lot of cash on frivolous stuff, whose origins she might attribute to me. Mess up my chances with her and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forgive you.

Besides, it's not two pair of Amazing's I have here in-house. It's one pair Amazing's and one pair AR-9's. You wanna be me or what? Going off on your own with your own ideas? I don't know man.

To be honest, sure, my 2ch rig is a shameless copy of the He-Man rig. The HT rig, I've NEVER quite been happy with. A pair of AR-9's? Sure, why not but good luck finding a pair. A pair of big SDA's wouldn't be a bad idea either. I'm talking about a pair of BIG full range speakers. I could still keep the surround thing but as you point out, there isn't much substitute for big speakers moving a lot of air.

Man, you and Wendi? Not much I could do to screw that up.

BDT
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited January 2004
    Pay Off Dad, Russ -- THEN

Buy a new subwoofer..........

then depends on what I truly want, a new TV or a pair of RT55i then I gotta start savin. Pc ez!

- Sid
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I'm having similar thoughts Troy. Actually, I'd probably just run a stereo rig in HT room, if I hadn't already run the wire / wall plugs etc for the rears.

Regardless, I'm happy with THAT rig, and don't see any changes until something breaks.

With the newly acquired AR 310HO's, the 'whole house' rig is pretty much done, all zones covered and accounted for.

As far as the cave goes, I've taken a step backwards, and looking for an amp at this point. If I can't find something relatively soon, I'm just going to buy another Rotel - the ones I have WORK for me. Main goal, which should be wrapped up shortly - getting the vinyl side in the cave complete. Nothing too fancy, low-end Music Hall and Sumiko/Parasound phono stage.

Last but not least, I'll re-visit the garage rig in the spring. The only thing that has survived out there is the rebuilt Monitor 2's that I got from George, so they won't go ANYWHERE.

Cheers,
    Russ

Man, I've seen/heard your HT rig and wouldn't eff with it. Hands down, the best I've heard. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Far as you and amps and 2ch go, man, other than going tube or high tone SS, you've HAD about every option known to man in 'our' price range except, maybe, B&K. Let me consult my flavor of the month chart......

Ah, garage rig. See, I think a good garage rig NEEDS to scream retro. I may have something for you there....

BDT
  • George Grand
    edited January 2004
    In all sincerity, I plan on divesting myself of a LOT of extraneous audio stuff (No Russ, not yet). There is only SO much stuff that can get used at one time, or in a quarter to a half a lifetime. I've done well with it, and it's about time to share the wealth. It's a shame a lot of you guys didn't live closer, cause shipping charges can take what might've been a good deal, and turn it into a so-so deal.

No particulars yet, but not too far down the road, we shall see.

• TroyD
    edited January 2004
    Jesus, George, you ok? Both nuggets still in place and functioning?

I'm REALLY worried here. I mean, some stuff, yeah, but geeze, but there is SOME stuff there that shouldn't leave that house as long as you are consuming oxygen.

Did I tell you how sexy my wife thinks you are?

BDT
  • George Grand
    edited January 2004
    Did I say "No Russ, not yet?"

I have too much stuff man. You're lucky. You pass by here once in awhile, AND, we also have the McGuire AFB to Charleston AFB Express at least once every quarter. Others would have to pay the ship charges.

So my neighbor Dean sends me an e-mail first thing this morning. Do I WANT (a gimme for sure) a brand new, still in the box, Shure V15 Type V - MR cartridge? Still in the plastic wrapping. His wife ALMOST threw it out. He was willing to GIVE it to me. I sold it for him for $200 a little after lunchtime, effectively knocking the price of his new B & K receiver down from $2,400 to $2,200. Then I rode off into the sunset. He's such a great guy, it was an absolute thrill to help him out with that.

Dollars to donuts his next move is a separate power amp for the B & K's front outputs. Then the surround outputs. Freakin' sickness it is.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands) aka ........

The Lone Runt of the Litter
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2004
    HT - I might get around to connecting my rears and sub but probably not the center. The VOTTs are hard to match across the front. I've got the makings for a sub that I've never put together but may just stick with the powered until I can convince the wife into a horn sub.

HS - I'm in the process of getting a tubed pre. I might be able to fit in a pair of SDAs if I can find them locally. After that I'll experiment with interconnects and vibration control and maybe get a new cartridge for the Dual.

In other words. I'll probably just chug along with getting as much stuff as humanly possible considering a small budget.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2004
    I'm seriously considering a cross counrty Smash and Grab Road Trip with stops in Texas, KC, Jersey, Baltimore, and perhaps a visit to some "Friends" up north!:D
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2004
    I am going to try to get my stuff organized this year. I'm sick of cables all over the place, amps on the floor, dust everywhere and half the stuff disconnected because I just tried something new.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2004
    I'm going to start working on my car system soon. It's not a huge priority for me because I only drive about 10 minutes to work and my car isn't that nice. Going with all Polk/MOMO it looks like.
    On the HT side, I'd like to add at least a 2 channel amp, possibly a 7 channel. The PSW650 has been good, but an upgrade of that might be in the works as well.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited January 2004
    Not really audio plans for this year but would really like to get going on the home theater seating and just hope like hell I can finish programming this damn TSU3000 Proto Remote before the end of the year:D
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2004
    I'd like to upgrade to the B&K 507 receiver-wise, or possibly the Ref50 and the 200.7 (most likely the 507).

I also want to upgrade from my first love RT16's, and take a run at the new Rti12's in Cherry. Tried as I have, I can't get them outta my head.....

A some point I would like to look into checking out a pair of the SDA's, but there really is about ZERO room for something like that in my place (unless I get a house in the near future)......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2004
    Purchase PS Audio Statement 20 amp power cords when they become available for my Musical Fidelity gear.

Finish my rebuild of the Amazings.

After the Amazings are finished, I will upgrade the crossovers in my 2.3TL's, redo the end caps in cherry with a antique cherry color/finish and replace all the grill cloth....front and sides.

Finish my rebuild of a vintage Pioneer SA-500 integrated and matching TX-500 tuner with Baby Advents for my office rig.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2004
    Get the Dynaco rebuilt with mods.

Get the ASL modded.

A cheapo Denon or Yamaha with pre outs to get me back into HT.

Klipsch RC-35 center speaker.

A real DVD player. The XBOX is great for DVD's but I want a real one.

Sean,
    Krell??? And at one time you were curious about my source of income eh? LOL.

Congrats on the Dyna. Which amp did you get? Don't forget to bias the amp. **** and giggles??? No way! I bet you'll fall in love with it. Just imagine being able to change the sound quality by uaing different tubes:). But the best thing about tube gear is that the music will touch your heart. You will feel and hear more emotions from the recordings. What speakers are you going to run with it? Don't forget, I want to see pics and a review:D.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2004
    Nice thread idea Troy...

First order of business is to sell off some excess stock.

Second order is to make my delayed speaker pick up run during the second Qtr. EPI's in Baltimore, Advents in Cleveland and AR 3a's in Racine.... always room for more George. Hope to visit/ revisit several member's abodes during this roadtrip.

Purchase-wise not too much on the list here other than an SME 3012 and a little SVS investment...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2004
    Since I'm very satisfied with my core components, I think I'll let you "cable-heads" talk me into trying some fancy-pants power cords out. I'm gonna give the Signal Cable Company AC cords a try, and at $55 a pop, what the heck...it's worth investigating. But I AM a skeptic. Full report will be coming soon....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Let me be frank

I DON'T FREAKIN THINK SO!!!;)
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • organ
    edited January 2004
    Sean,
    I didn't know Krell had an affordable line. I'd like to hear one some day. Those things are power houses.

I saw a big **** Bryston (4BST not sure about the #) when I was buying my cables. I tried to lift it up and that thing is extremely heavy. Saw some of your babies(Musial Fidelity) too. $4500 for their higher model CD player:o. I really like the build quality.

Sounds great! If the original Dynaco tubes still test good, don't let them go. They were made by very good tube companies back then like Mullard and Philips but labeled Dynaco. The bias is very important. Too little won't sound good and too much will kill your tubes. Measure the DC voltage with the +ve lead where indicated and place the -ve lead on the chassis. Adjust the two pots until you get the proper reading. You'll have to go back and forth because the right side changes as you adjust the left. Do it again when the amp is fully warmed up. Keep an eye on the voltage reading until the amp is warmed up.

Don't you have a pair of RT-25? Try it with them. I love the sound of my RT800i with the ST-70. Or you can also try a pair of Klipsch;).

Maurice
  • organ
    edited January 2004
    Sean,
    You DON'T have to bias the amp everytime you use it. Just set it and check every few months and after you change power tubes. It's very simple to bias. It takes less than five minutes. I don't want you to lose those highly sought after Dynaco tubes because the bias was too high.

That thing will probably have a hard time powering the LSi15 but it's worth a try. My 35w/ch sounds great with the LSi9 but lacked dynamics, slam and bloom.

Show us some pics when the amp arrives. If you decide to get rid of it, let me know.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited January 2004
    I'm interested! But I need to know how much you're going to sell it for first. That's if you decide to sell it.

Maurice
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited January 2004
  • VR3
    edited January 2004
    hmm...

1) HSU STF-2
    2) Klipsch Preamp
    3) Adcom Tuner
    4) Adcom CD Player
    5) NOTHING!!! WOO HOO!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dan t
    edited January 2004
    5) NOTHING!!! WOO HOO!

Does that mean that the first four items don't really count? :)

Dan
  • VR3
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, the 5th upgrade is NOTHING! ILL BE DONE WITH MY SYSTEM! FIRST TIME In 3 YEARS!
  • dan t
    edited January 2004
    That's what you say now, until the 'upgrade' bug hits again. ;)

D
  • VR3
    edited January 2004
    i hope your wrong:p
  • JDOGG
    JDOGG Posts: 433
    edited January 2004
    what made you decide to go with HSU over SVS?
    Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable