My Man Cave

HBombToo
HBombToo Posts: 5,256
edited January 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
When I get cable modem(just called today) I'll post some pics but for now I need some help and schoolen on the finer side of 2 channel.

There is no TV in the cave just my computer and 2 channel settup right now. I think I know the correct way 2 channel should be set up but it wouldn't be real functional.

Room Dims:

11'6" feet wide
18'4" feet long not including built in shelves with 4 doors
opposite of the shelves is the stairs leading in.
7'8" feet high is the height of the room not including the stair well.

Currently the 2 Channel is along the long wall opposite of the stair well and seperated from the shelves by 3ft and the speakers are set ~ 7'6" on center.

I have provided a quick sketch for reference.

Any thoughts/Flames welcomed on this fine Saturday night regarding settup.

Thanks in advance

1/4 twin
***WAREMTAE***
Post edited by HBombToo on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2004
    A FUTON?!? What are you, some kinda long haired hippy pinko commie tree huggin tax dodger?!?!;)

What's on the other side of the double doors?

*EDIT*

Shelves, I knew that.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • HBombToo
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    A FUTON?!? What are you, some kinda long haired hippy pinko commie tree huggin tax dodger?!?!;)

What's on the other side of the double doors?

*EDIT*

Shelves, I knew that.

Funny you should ask that Frank because I have learned about a new thing called a Sump Pump. I unplug the submersible battery charger while getting my listen on... the thing drives me crazy. I'm not really sure why there is a small amout of standing water in it but I continue dumping clorox into it so it don't smell.

I'm just a dumb city boy displaced into the midwest:eek:

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2004
    Most sump pumps are equiped with float switch and will not remove all of the water in the sump. You can pour a few gallons of water into the sump and get rid of some of the standing water, that will help get rid of some of the odor. You should also check to see if there is another drain line coming into the sump from another part of the basement. Some plumbers will route the floor drain from its location near the water heater to the sump. These drain lines are occasionally clogged with dirt or debris from when the house was built. If the water heater leaks and the floordrain is plugged you'll have a royal mess to clean up.

Pulling the pump out and cleaning it up will also help prevent a flooded basement. Not a whole lot of preventative maintenance to be done on them really, but its not something you want to have fail.

Do you have enough room under the stairs to do a built-in equipment rack?

Can I sell ya a lava lamp to go along with the futon?:D
  • HBombToo
    edited January 2004
    its about a 3ft equalateral so I don't think so... I understand the thought though.

The house is a California split and the HT is on the next level. I have some sound proofing in my future also.

Funny you should ask about lava lamps because the wife made me throw away the dozen or so I had collected over the years:p

Twin

CCR is sounding GOOD!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • HBombToo
    edited January 2004
    I hoped I'd get more help and suggestions... I guess you guys were a little tired last night.

I was thinking about building an equipment rack inside the shelves and neatly running the speaker cable out through the center so the speakers could be in line with the long part of the room. I guess I could achieve better sound through a reduction in reflection that way???

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2004
    I strongly dislike the term "man cave". Are you guys Neanderthals? Why give the babes a leg up?

If I had to assign a name to my stereo only room, it would be something like:

The Rectangular Think Tank Equipped with Incredible Sound Reproduction Equipment Where Females Are Not Welcome to Traverse and Therefore Do Not.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited January 2004
    My Room is going to be called "The Theater".Everyone is Welcome including Women........

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • HBombToo
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by George Grand
    I strongly dislike the term "man cave". Are you guys Neanderthals? Why give the babes a leg up?

If I had to assign a name to my stereo only room, it would be something like:

Come to think of it George you raise a very valid point here. I don't have a unique name for my space yet I'm looking at changes.

I'm going to do a redo here and think of all possibilities. A name is in order! All suggestions are welcomed and I'll offer a Cocktail and personel Salute shipped to your doorstep if I pick your suggestion.

Come to think of it I'm going to have my first beer;)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2004
    Actually George, 'mancave' and its current widespread use is your fault (indirectly).

You used to (and maybe still do) refer to your 'main' rig as 'The He-Man Rig'. Troy and I, not wanting to blatently rip the term off, as we did with 'magic closet', coined the phrase 'man-cave'.

And of course women are allowed, as long as they meet the following requirements:

A. No speaking

B. No bra

C. 2 drink minimum

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    edited January 2004
    I don't know if my space needs a name, as long as the ladies know that the only thing they can do in there is hurt something.

Now, if I had inferior equipment, I'd probably welcome the ladies.... but I don't, so I don't.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2004
    Easy........The Bomb Shelter
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited January 2004
    Now, if I had inferior equipment, I'd probably welcome the ladies.... but I don't, so I don't.

Why would you have any inferior gear? Haven't you sold most of it to Troy already?

heh heh

Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    edited January 2004
    Russ you blame placing slacker,

Yup, it's still "The He-Man Rig" and the debs have no business in there (although I can understand your 3 areas of criteria).

Imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery, and I await your post saying you have Carver Amazings being driven by 1,000 watts of power each. Just like me and.... you know who. Albeit 13 yrs after the original "He-Man Rig".

I'm getting nuts over this. Does the period go AFTER, or inside the quotation marks?

• George Grand
    edited January 2004
    Lets see, BDT was GIVEN:

Marantz 2215 and a pair of Pioneer CS-88's (okay for garage spks). This was for extending a warm welcome AND meal to me and the rest of my flight crew at The Casa de Wendi, and for the initial sniffing around of the same Wendi.

He has purchased:

Carver M1.5t
    Adcom SLC-505 passive preamp
    Polk RTA 12C's
    Polk R10's

I think he bought other things but I can't remember. He also recently shipped me the Dynaco A-25's he nailed for $3. Shipped them up on a KC-135 that we sent to his station for a week long mission. You gotta love that!

Jesse,

THAT was quick! It couldn't possibly be named ANYTHING other than The Bomb Shelter. Beautiful!!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2004
    Ok, so I'm a chronic 'over quoter'.

No Amazings for this kid, period. You have them. That'll give me at least ONE good reason to go ahead and take your exit off the Jersey Turnpike one day, despite the verbal and emotional abuse I'll have to endure during my visit.

A guy has to have SOMETHING to look forward to.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2004
    The Bomb Bay
    or
    The Bombay
    or
    Suds Central
    or
    The Totaly Sloshed Pit
    or
    The Futon Fortress;)
    or
    Hbombs HubbaHubba Hiney Hideout
  • George Grand
    edited January 2004
    You get a load of F1Nuts name for HBombToo's space? There is just SO much talent here. Frank, The Bomb Bay is also a stand-out, but The Bomb Shelter has a certain cachet to it.

• RuSsMaN
    edited January 2004
    Agreed, The Bomb Shelter - has a ring to it.

So if mancave is a bust, what's my room? The Cuckoo's Nest?

Cheers,
    Russ
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Russ,

I think yours should be "The Head Room."

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    edited January 2004
    Yup. Or The Padded Room.

For mine own space, The Ultra-Room. Or "You Stay the F!CK OUT Cause Their Ain't Enough" Room. Pardner. Tenderfoot. Side Saddle Rider.

That's it, The Ultra-Room is reserved for my own space even though I will probably never use it.

• HBombToo
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Russ,

I think yours should be "The Head Room."

or the Strutt'n Chicken ;)

HBomb liken the shelter
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • George Grand
    edited January 2004
    By the power uninvested in moi, I hereby christen thy space "The Bomb Shelter".

Whew, glad that's over with. You owe F1 a bottle of somesing, amigo.

• HBombToo
    edited January 2004
    By the power uninvested in moi, I hereby christen thy space "The Bomb Shelter".

Whew, glad that's over with. You owe F1 a bottle of somesing, amigo.

The Bomb Shelter it is. F1 pm me your addy and requirements and I'll ship during lunch this week.

**** I have ta find some signage and I have already reoriented placing the speakers and equipment in front of the built in shelves. I'm also driving my NAK PA7 with the Modulus pre which have the 6dj8's.

I did find the source of the noise in the right channel which was a bad resistor from the main out to the secondary output and fixed it by eliminating the secondary source out. Who needs it anyway?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    HBomb,

No need, but I appreciate the thought.

F1

President of Club Polk

• HBombToo
    edited January 2004
    I tried to edit the original with the image but I have my head up my ****!

Lets try this again here.

Sounds good from the computer and the tubes are warming up nice!

1/4 Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***