Polk 10's & Krell KAV 300i ??

Options
ajanzalone
ajanzalone Posts: 128
edited October 2010 in Vintage Speakers
Has anyone heard the Polk 10s with a Krell integrated amp??

Since I been thinking on upgrading my my preamp and later my amp
I have been considering the Krell KAV 300i integrated amp (150w 2ch) ...

The reason I ask, I was considering a Arcam FMJ A32 but luckily the owner was very honest and said he had a set of Pok 10's and was unhappy with the brightness using the Arcam FMJ A32 integrated ...

So I thought I would inquire if anyone heard this combo, Polk 10s with a Krell integrated amp??
Audio Research SP5 Preamp
Quad 405 Amp
Pioneer Elite DV-48AV -
Outlaw 950 preamp/processor
Polk Monitor 10's
Velodyne VRP 1200 Sub Woofer

Success is having what you want ... but Happiness is wanting what you have!
Post edited by ajanzalone on

Comments

• ajanzalone
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Does any one use a Krell KVA 300 integrated amp?
    If so, I would love to hear what you think of it
    Quad 405 Amp
    Pioneer Elite DV-48AV -
    Polk Monitor 10's

• math-geek
    math-geek Posts: 18
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I own a Krell KAV-300r (a 300i with a tuner), a Krell KAV-300iL and have owned the KAV-400xi. I personally like the Krell "sound" very much.

I have used all of my Krells with Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE monitors to fantastic effect. It is funny that you mention the Arcam FMJ a32 as I owned an FMJ A22 at one time. The Krell and Arcam both had a clean sound but the Krell blew the Arcam away for dynamic capability and bass slam. The Krell KAVs are beasts...Don't let their sleek, diminutive chassis fool you!

The Krells are not just about bass slam, punch, snap and dynamics, they can sound very shockingly "there". Razor sharp imaging and great soundstaging is this rule of the day. If you want smooth and diffused sound look elsewhere.

I wish you could hear my system with some Stevie Ray Vaughan or Pink Floyd, you would be shocked.

BTW, a good LP and/or a CD player is a must. Also, I have never used Polk speakers with any Krell amps.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited September 2010
    Options
    math-geek wrote: »
    I wish you could hear my system with some Stevie Ray Vaughan or Pink Floyd, you would be shocked.

You don't live in Georgia by chance do ya?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • ajanzalone
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I own a Krell KAV-300r (a 300i with a tuner), a Krell KAV-300iL and have owned the KAV-400xi. I personally like the Krell "sound" very much.

I have used all of my Krells with Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE monitors to fantastic effect. It is funny that you mention the Arcam FMJ a32 as I owned an FMJ A22 at one time. The Krell and Arcam both had a clean sound but the Krell blew the Arcam away for dynamic capability and bass slam. The Krell KAVs are beasts...Don't let their sleek, diminutive chassis fool you!

The Krells are not just about bass slam, punch, snap and dynamics, they can sound very shockingly "there". Razor sharp imaging and great soundstaging is this rule of the day. If you want smooth and diffused sound look elsewhere.

Thank you for you answer and info ....
    after reading that, I must wipe my chin from the drool, over your description ...
    I can not imagine the Polks sounding bad with the krell driving them....
    Thanks
    Tony
    Quad 405 Amp
    Pioneer Elite DV-48AV -
    Polk Monitor 10's

• math-geek
    edited October 2010
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    You don't live in Georgia by chance do ya?

Sorry but I live in Michigan!
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I would love to own a krell but dont know whats cheap

I read reviews on the krell s300i and it doesnt impress me very much when its on par with a denon avr

Would the krell kav 300 wipe the floor wipe and mop the tears of a krell s300i owner ?
  • math-geek
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I am trying not to generalize here but I have talked to a number of other Krell owners that have liked the KAV- 400xi/300il and KAV-300i better than their newer brother. I have heard that the bass isn't as strong on the s300i. Also the power just isn't there. For example the KAV-300 will put ou up to 600+ watts into 2 ohms whereas the s300i falls flat on its face into that load. As well the build quality and fit and finish of the 400xi/300iL is absolutely exemplary.

010.JPG

006.JPG

224.JPG

Attached are a couple of pics of the Krell 400xi, 300iL and Dyn Contour 1.3 SEs. The 1.3 SEs are like a pair of floorstanders in hiding! Though ten years old they are still world class speakers. To make a significant upgrade I would be looking at Dynaudio Confidence C1s at around $8000.00. These in Steinway piano black sold new for better than $4000.00 per pair. Don't let their small stature fool you, these things can rattle the floors, their bass output is astonishing and they image like all get out!

BTW, you guys have a great forum here, I enjoy the intelligent, respectful conversations.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well I did some checking into the krell 400xi and this unit seems to be exactly what I'm looking for and there's one on audiogon for $1600 at the moment .I have saw them priced at $1500 so I gota fill up my piggy bank for a while before I can afford another component in my rack

The krell 400xi and 280p cd seems like an awesome combo and has great wife appeal so I may just put that new avr plan on hold and pair up my martin logans with the krell combo,

Thanks for the info on the 400xi ,the reviews make for some good reading
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I have not heard the Krell amps that you have. I have heard the KSA-250 which I had for a while. It was just too big (135 lbs) and needed it's own 20 amp circuit. Pure Class A power, dead quiet and sounded fabulous! Check out the size of the toridal transformer looking down at the top. BTW, those heat sinks could heat a 22' X 16' room!

Lookie here:

KrellandCarvers009.jpg

KrellandCarvers010.jpg
    Carl

• math-geek
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Listen to the FPB 750 sometime! Awesome amp!
  • ajanzalone
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I am trying not to generalize here but I have talked to a number of other Krell owners that have liked the KAV- 400xi/300il and KAV-300i better than their newer brother.

Attached are a couple of pics of the Krell 400xi, 300iL and Dyn Contour 1.3 SEs. The 1.3 SEs are like a pair of floorstanders in hiding! .

Did you send me a e-mail with all the info ?

Tony
    Quad 405 Amp
    Pioneer Elite DV-48AV -
    Polk Monitor 10's

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The 300i integrated isn't bad....some don't like it but I had no real complaints as far as sound. Clean and detailed. Rock solid bass. If I had a criticism, the soundstage didn't have great depth....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • polkfarmboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    The 300i integrated isn't bad....some don't like it but I had no real complaints as far as sound. Clean and detailed. Rock solid bass. If I had a criticism, the soundstage didn't have great depth....

BDT

are you talking about the s300i ?
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ajanzalone wrote: »
    Does any one use a Krell KVA 300 integrated amp?
    If so, I would love to hear what you think of it

A friend of mine uses the KAV-300i amp with some Martin Logan electrostatic speakers. Sounds pretty good. Nice high end especially (I think mostly because of the spekaers). The amp can have a "clinical" sound to it though. If you are looking for more of a tube sounding (smooth, lush, etc.) SS amp, this one's not for you. If you like the precise "clinical" sound of a SS amp, it'll do nicely.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • polkfarmboy
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I love clinical for tecno music and video games
  • ajanzalone
    edited October 2010
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    The amp can have a "clinical" sound to it though. If you are looking for more of a tube sounding (smooth, lush, etc.) SS amp, this one's not for you. If you like the precise "clinical" sound of a SS amp, it'll do nicely.
    Greg

I am a bit confused by your comment ..........

Too clinical for a solid state amp?
    or too clinical as compared with a tube amp?

Tony
    Quad 405 Amp
    Pioneer Elite DV-48AV -
    Polk Monitor 10's

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ajanzalone wrote: »
    I am a bit confused by your comment ..........

Too clinical for a solid state amp?
    or too clinical as compared with a tube amp?

Tony

Sorry Tony for the confusion. It is certainly too clinical compared to a tube amp, and it is very clinical for a solid state amp. Krell amps in general are very clinical. Clinical, and very detailed. Kinda like Steve Vai's guitar playing. Very precise, but he can sound like a machine and leave no feeling or mood to the music (IMO of course).

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee