WTB: Amp

Sydney's Dad
Sydney's Dad Posts: 98
edited January 2004 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Looking for a 2 ch 200+ watt per ch amp to power my RTi150's. Not that my Sony ES receiver does a bad job, I'd just like to take my system to the next level. Let me know what you have.
Sony 53" TV
Sony DA777ES Receiver
Sony SCD-C55ES CD/SACD
Sony DVP-NS755V DVD
Sony 4-TA-N55ES Amplifers
Front 2 pair Polk RTi150
Center Polk CSi40
Rear Polk RTi70
Sub SVS PC+ & Infinity BL-2

Post edited by Sydney's Dad on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2003
    Sydney - You have had something dropped in your lap....check out the Flea Market....do you look around at all? ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Sydney's Dad
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Sydney - You have had something dropped in your lap....check out the Flea Market....do you look around at all? ;)

Looked around last night and found a couple of 100 wpc amps.

Looking for something bigger to take full advatage of my speaker set up.

Am I missing something?
    Sony 53" TV
    Sony DA777ES Receiver
    Sony SCD-C55ES CD/SACD
    Sony DVP-NS755V DVD
    Front 2 pair Polk RTi150
    Center Polk CSi40
    Rear Polk RTi70

• Sydney's Dad
    edited December 2003
    Anybody have a Sony TA-N80ES you'd like to get rid of?
    Sony 53" TV
    Sony DA777ES Receiver
    Sony SCD-C55ES CD/SACD
    Sony DVP-NS755V DVD
    Front 2 pair Polk RTi150
    Center Polk CSi40
    Rear Polk RTi70

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2003
    I think what Mark was alluding to, and I concur, is that either amp that Russ has posted for sale will power your speakers just fine.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • fastbob49
    fastbob49 Posts: 11
    edited December 2003
    Dad,

I bought 3 Sonance Sonamp 2120T power amps to use with my polk system. I've got RTi150 front and side surround rear, a CSi40 center, RTi28 rear surrounds, and a home built Shiva sub. I intended to bi-amp all 4 150's, and use the 3rd amp on the RTi28. This amp is rated at 120 watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohms, 160 watts @ 4 ohms. Dynamic power (at clipping) is 163 @ 8 ohms and 242 at 4 ohms.

To make a long story short, I am only using 2 of these amps. The RTi150 are a good match for the sonamps, although I have driven all of them into "cone slap" (a loud popping noise occurs when they exceed their excursion limit on certain DVDs.). The amp was too much for the little RTi28, as I blew out the tweeters.

You can have this one for $225 shipped to your door.

Bob
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2003
    I have this one for sale. $200
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2003
    That PCR is in great shape! I still miss my A5002 Soundcraftsmen.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Sydney's Dad
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by TroyD
    I think what Mark was alluding to, and I concur, is that either amp that Russ has posted for sale will power your speakers just fine.

BDT

Just wanted a little more power than my da777es is already pumping out. It is rated at 120 wpc and I'm not sure what I'd gain by using 100 wpc amp. The Sony is doing a fine job now as the sound is very good with little to no distoration at 100+ db levels. The receiver has yet to shut down and is handling anything I can throw at it even with all 7 speakers operating at high levels. I'm very impressed with this receiver.

My plan was to use a 200+ wpc for the RTi150's and use the Sony to power the RTi 70 rears, CSi40 front and the RTi38 Main B speakers. Is my logic flawed?
    Sony 53" TV
    Sony DA777ES Receiver
    Sony SCD-C55ES CD/SACD
    Sony DVP-NS755V DVD
    Front 2 pair Polk RTi150
    Center Polk CSi40
    Rear Polk RTi70

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2003
    The key is receiver vs separate amp, IMO, rather than # of watts. Quality vs. quantity.

Having said that, if your receiver is pushing your speaks into the 100+ db range, how much louder do you want it to get?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2003
    I see you're fond of Sony, and that's fine, but if you think you need more power....

From my limited experience with Sony ES receivers, it is my opinion that the 100wpc Adcom would eat the ES receiver's lunch. Great price too.

If I had some (more) money to spend on an amp.....
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    I don't think you know what exactly you want, or need for that matter. Get out there, and try to listen to some different amps, see if there are people in your area that can let you 'borrow' an amp or two, to test in your rig.

I see a couple things here, first - if the Sony is doing the job, leave it alone. Ain't broke, don't fix it.

Next, the consensus from the peanut gallery here is that you need HUGE amps to drive the 150's properly. I personally think that's a crock, but I'm in the minority there. Then again, I listen at levels where one can actually hear seperation between channels, soundstage etc - not just a blaring wall of sound.

The amps I have up for sale are good amps, I'd like to see them go to someone who has experience with them, knows exactly what they are, and has a use for them. I hope that reads o-k, I just don't want them bouncing around the US, with people not happy, not familar, what have you.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2003
    Troy is right, the two in the local forum here are both great choices. I am a Sony ES fan, almost to a diehard degree, but don't bet your money on the rated power of a Sony. I also agree with JCaut that the Adcom would be a better 2CH power monster than the Sony, albeit at higher listening levels, is when it would start to break away.

The separate amplifiers that Sony used to make, were the only ones to perform well over rated levels. The current AVR's, are capable of running that kind of power, but at a much higher distortion level than the amplifiers in the flea market....as an example.

The power supplies in the Sony AVR cannot physically handle the demand for power that a separate amplifer is designed for.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited December 2003
    I have 2 Adcom GFA-555's. They are 200 wpc and can be bridged to 600 watts. I am asking $325.00 a piece or $600.00 for both. Both are in great condition. Email me if interested. I can send photos. Thanks, Jeff
  • Sydney's Dad
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by warlocks1
    I have 2 Adcom GFA-555's. They are 200 wpc and can be bridged to 600 watts. I am asking $325.00 a piece or $600.00 for both. Both are in great condition. Email me if interested. I can send photos. Thanks, Jeff

pm sent
    Sony 53" TV
    Sony DA777ES Receiver
    Sony SCD-C55ES CD/SACD
    Sony DVP-NS755V DVD
    Front 2 pair Polk RTi150
    Center Polk CSi40
    Rear Polk RTi70

• Sydney's Dad
    edited December 2003
    Thanks for all the replies. Please keep them coming as I have yet to make a decision. I listened to a B&K 125 wpc today and I was not overly impressed. I'm really looking for an amp that will make the 150's come alive as I am pretty satisfied with the 68 lb Sony receiver they are currently hooked up to.
    Sony 53" TV
    Sony DA777ES Receiver
    Sony SCD-C55ES CD/SACD
    Sony DVP-NS755V DVD
    Front 2 pair Polk RTi150
    Center Polk CSi40
    Rear Polk RTi70

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2003
    yes i upgraded from a 100 wpc onkyo to a adcom 125 wpc and i have so much more headroom and power and it sounds so mych smother too. now i just need speakers on par with my pre pro setup.
  • scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited December 2003
    Mitek = yuck! (just my personal experience)
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
  • madmax
    edited January 2004
    Here is something to think about. When you double your power (with all other amp characteristics staying the same) the only gain you experience is a barely noticeable increase in volume. Hardly worth the price in my opinion. If you want a truely satisfying upgrade go to something in the 350 to 700 watt per channel range. Does this seem excessive? It's not. In used prices you can pay $200 for a very small almost unnoticeable change (with a 200w something amp) or really turn it into something special (with a much higher power amp) for $400 to $500. When you get into this range of power everything comes alive. In many cases it will sound very full and live. Many people are under the impression it will only sound louder and what they already have is loud enough. This is not the case. Actually more power, although it can make the output higher, sounds better and quieter, not louder.

madmax

• Sydney's Dad
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by madmax
    Here is something to think about. When you double your power (with all other amp characteristics staying the same) the only gain you experience is a barely noticeable increase in volume. Hardly worth the price in my opinion. If you want a truely satisfying upgrade go to something in the 350 to 700 watt per channel range. Does this seem excessive? It's not. In used prices you can pay $200 for a very small almost unnoticeable change (with a 200w something amp) or really turn it into something special (with a much higher power amp) for $400 to $500. When you get into this range of power everything comes alive. In many cases it will sound very full and live. Many people are under the impression it will only sound louder and what they already have is loud enough. This is not the case. Actually more power, although it can make the output higher, sounds better and quieter, not louder.

madmax

Thanks Max. That is what I'm truly after. Since this system sees 80% music and 20% movies I am really wanting to turn this system into something special.

Do you have some recommendations for amps that might fit the bill?
    Sony 53" TV
    Sony DA777ES Receiver
    Sony SCD-C55ES CD/SACD
    Sony DVP-NS755V DVD
    Front 2 pair Polk RTi150
    Center Polk CSi40
    Rear Polk RTi70

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2004
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited January 2004
    Money no object?? or perhaps just daydreaming a bit.....

1/2 off some monoblocks Aragon amps; and the preamp is 1/2 off too....

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ARAPAL1KXS&product_name=Palladium%201K%20400-Watt%20Monoblock%20Amplifiers%20-%20Pair

www.underwoodhifi.com had new Sunfire Reference 250 watt/channel power amps on a 50% off price of $990 last week as well. The reference Sunfire pre was for sale for $490 and if you get the package deal it goes for $1290 pre-amp and power amp.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2004
    There is no substitute for having a BOATLOAD of extra/reserve power.

The auto analogy:

A small 4 banger will get me up the Jersey Turnpike just as fast as one of the Sharks, which both have 8 bangers. The little engine is humping to do it. The big engines are barely working to do it. If I need a sudden increase in power for any reason, the Sharks have a lot more to offer at that point than the little engine.

Get a BIG, POWERFUL amp, if that's what you THINK you want.

I also think that the Adcom that Russ offers will help you realize a substantial increase in performance over ANY receiver based amplification.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • madmax
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Sydney's Dad
    Do you have some recommendations for amps that might fit the bill?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2369981738&category=23787

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2368319948&category=23787

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2369566695&category=23787

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3068734247&category=39783

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2369057406&category=23787

These are some to look at, just the first several I saw. Obviously I didn't check their feedback or really even read the ads. I personally really like the carver PT series.

Also, prices are relative, I've seen the Carver PT-1250 go for as much as $1100 and as little as $350. It all depends on who is selling and who is biting. There are a lot of other brands out there too, I just can't think right now.
    madmax

• Sydney's Dad
    edited January 2004
    What do you guys think of these set ups?

2-Adcom GFA-555
    or
    1-Aragon 4004
    Sony 53" TV
    Sony DA777ES Receiver
    Sony SCD-C55ES CD/SACD
    Sony DVP-NS755V DVD
    Front 2 pair Polk RTi150
    Center Polk CSi40
    Rear Polk RTi70

• madmax
    edited January 2004

• dorokusai
    edited January 2004
    SD - They are both good choices. You really have to start using your gut, and actual user recommendations to get into the good stuff.

Stereophile is a slave to the very industry that it supports. It is just feel good, bathroom reading material.

This audio experience is only "solved" after personal experience with many manufacturers, speakers blown, money loss, shipping damage, shipping loss, Ebay, Audiogon, resale, trial and error, etc. It is a learning process and you only know what works, if you have pressed the button.

Jump in with both feet, make a decision, and go with it...noone here will steer you wrong.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2004
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2004
    Stereophile was okay a few years back, but only for the 10 pages or so of used equipment "For Sale" ads from private individuals in the back. These days? Half a page at best, and it's all from audio shops or websites.

There was a guy who used to write and review for them named Jonathan Scull (J-Ten). He couldn't review a piece of equipment without saying how it reminded him of driving through the south of France and drinking French wines and crapola like that. What a crock.

Stereophile HATED the Polk RTA 11t. Went as far as to say they couldn't believe Matthew Polk would offer such a "sonically compromised" product at the $1,000 price point. Very next issue they heartily recommend some $5,000/pair 6" two-way, AS LONG AS IT'S COUPLED WITH THE SO AND SO $10,000 SUBWOOFER!!

Yeah, let me run right out and nail down some of those.

Notice now how Polk is finally getting some decent reviews there? Wonder if it has anything to do with their (Stereophiles) dwindling readership? You bet your **** it does.

Try $ensible Sound for some honest reviews and affordable products.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited January 2004
    This audio experience is only "solved" after personal experience with many manufacturers, speakers blown, money loss, shipping damage, shipping loss, Ebay, Audiogon, resale, trial and error, etc. It is a learning process and you only know what works, if you have pressed the button.

So true, so true. I couldn't have said it any better myself (except for the speakers blown part...knocking on wood, I have never blown a speaker!). At some point one can read till he is blue in the face but until you take the plunge and try out some gear in your home with your supporting equipment then one will never know.

I would also recommend the NAD C270 power amp. I owned this beast earlier this year and it is bridgeable to 300 watts. Get two of them and you have a killer and affordable solution. I found one of them to be very powerful even with the power hungry LSi models. NAD has introduced the newer C272 so there are potential deals to be found on the C270 if you look hard enough. Also the C270 has a variable input gain which will allow you to calibrate your mains for home theater to match the output of your other speakers when you watch movies.

SD, the ball's in your court now. Plenty of great recommendations here. I think that you will find any of the external amps mentioned here from budget to the most expensive, will outperform the amps in your receiver.
  • Sydney's Dad
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by pjdami
    So true, so true. I couldn't have said it any better myself (except for the speakers blown part...knocking on wood, I have never blown a speaker!). At some point one can read till he is blue in the face but until you take the plunge and try out some gear in your home with your supporting equipment then one will never know.

I would also recommend the NAD C270 power amp. I owned this beast earlier this year and it is bridgeable to 300 watts. Get two of them and you have a killer and affordable solution. I found one of them to be very powerful even with the power hungry LSi models. NAD has introduced the newer C272 so there are potential deals to be found on the C270 if you look hard enough. Also the C270 has a variable input gain which will allow you to calibrate your mains for home theater to match the output of your other speakers when you watch movies.

SD, the ball's in your court now. Plenty of great recommendations here. I think that you will find any of the external amps mentioned here from budget to the most expensive, will outperform the amps in your receiver.

Very interesting. Looks like I could get a couple of these for about the same price of the Adcom 555's but the NAD would be 15-20 years newer and they have varible inputs, a big + as my system will be required to perform 2ch and HT on a regular basis.

I believe the older amps do not have this feature. Is that a correct statement
    Sony 53" TV
    Sony DA777ES Receiver
    Sony SCD-C55ES CD/SACD
    Sony DVP-NS755V DVD
    Front 2 pair Polk RTi150
    Center Polk CSi40
    Rear Polk RTi70