My cable box

Options
MikeURL
MikeURL Posts: 4
I have noticed that when I switch from the DVD player, as my input to the Onkyo 601, to the Scientific Atlanta cable box as the input that I lose sound level. A level of 30 which is fine for the DVD output is almost inaudible from the cable box. I have to go up to 50 or more. Is this just an issue of cable quality? i use monster from the DVD to the onkyo but just el cheapo red/white/yellow cables from the cable box to the Onkyo.

The cable box does have digital out but I don't have any more digital ins (COAX) for the receiver.

Thoughts? The cable co claims they offer digital 5.1 surround but if I can't use the digital out it will be useless.
Post edited by MikeURL on

Comments

• Gringo
    Gringo Posts: 61
    edited December 2003
    Options
    My onkyo tx-700 has something called Intellivolume for adjusting the difference between inputs' loudness. Im not really sure if the 600 has the same thing, but it has helped me to fix the difference between all my components. For me...i have to click the setup button on my remote, then go to Input Setup and the adjustment for Intellivolume is in there. Goodluck
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Fronts: Polk Rti-70s
    Center: Polk Csi-40
    Surrounds: Polk Fxi-50s
    Sub: SvS 20-39pci
    Sony 36inch HdTv
    Denon DvD-2200 Sacd/Dvd-a
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Mike,

By Onkyo 601 do you mean the new TX-SR601 receiver? If this is your receiver and you are using your only coax digital in for your DVD player you may have to swap things around. Get a digital optical wire for your DVD player and connect it to the digital optical in on your receiver and swap the coax to your cable box.

You are currently running an analog signal from your cable box to your receiver. Since you are comparing to a digital signal from a DVD when you swap to analog cable sound it is typical that the sound ouput can be anywhere from 5 - 10 db less.

Also, if your cable company is not 100% digital yet (like mine) then you will have digital and conventional cable channels. In this case you will have to leave your analog cables in for sound and hook up the coax as well and setup your receiver to autodetect the best signal so that it knows when you are watching a digital broadcast.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Paul
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2003
    Options
    My onkyo tx-700 has something called Intellivolume for adjusting the difference between inputs' loudness.
    BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This WILL correct your problem with having to change the volume.

Yes, thier is a huge difference in DVD (Digital) and a standard cable box volume output.
  • walk
    walk Posts: 178
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Cable, AM/FM, DVD, Phono, Tape... they are all going to be different. It's normal, that's what Intellivolume is for.

If you're out of coax connections you can use a system selector like they make for video game consoles. Just use the yellow video connector, it works just the same as a coax digital audio connection, that's what I'm doing until I get my new DVD player which has optical Toslink.
    - Sony 50"A3000 SXRD; Onkyo TX-SR 805
    - Polk RTi150 mains; CSi30 center; FXi3 surrounds, R15 backs
    - Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I've heard the Radio Shack offers some kind of optical to digital coax convertor. Don't know how well it works, but it might be worth a shot.