why no 6ch audio with a sub??

warviper
warviper Posts: 585
edited December 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
i was wondering your fellings on 6ch audio with a sub. why 2 ch? why no sub? just your fellings and opinions i wanna get my lern on.;) ohhh yea and why no stack? more speakers more sound stage right? i never had an opprotunity to hear the sda's heard they sound great. just wondering. thanx for any clarification. :D
Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
Post edited by warviper on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2003
    Well, six channel audio (DVD-A and SACD) IS with a sub. There are five surround channels and one bass channel.

I always use a sub for 2 channel music. Anyone who thinks a sub can't integrate well with the mains hasn't heard my rig yet.

I can instantly toggle between the RT800i on full range and the RT800i high passed at 80 Hz with the SVS.

I've got the SVS level matched so well (easy with the Denon), it is virtually impossible to tell the two settings apart from a bass volume standpoint.

The RT800i on full range actually sounds "tubbier" than the 800/SVS combo because the 800 has a bulge at around 45-50 Hz that the SVS does not exhibit.

And for deep bass extension, the 800/SVS combo naturally wins hands down.

Not to mention the fact that high passing the mains conserves amp energy and significantly reduces IM distortion.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2003
    Too many things to address in one post but all of the configurations sound different. It all depends on what you are looking for. I'll start a list of what you might want below and you can decide which type of system you would use to obtain it. Feel free to add to the list.

Perfect reproduction of what the artist intended

Live in a large venue

Live in a small venue

Sound tailored to your own taste

Spectacular unrealistic reproduction

Rock concert style sound

Classical sound

Acoustic concert

Listening to a presentation from the audiance

Listening to a presentation on stage

Any given system can be built to provide any one of the above or a mix, but not all. So which is the right system to build? It depends on what you want to build.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2003
    Alot of the Sub vs. No Sub is personal preference, alot has to due with which speakers are being used (full range or not). Musical preference also comes into play. No right or wrong, more of a matter of system capability and personal opinion.

2 Channel vs. Multichannel, again it's mostly personal preference. There's nothing "wrong" with either, I enjoy both. My wifes 2 channel SDA/tube rig is fantastic when it comes to imaging, but my Lsi HT rig wins when it comes to detail.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • warviper
    edited December 2003
    Im all for opinions but isnt there a right and a wrong way to do something.

Not looking for a war, only searching for musical peace.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2003
    There are many wrong ways to do things. There are many right ways to do things.

Now that I nailed that down for you...

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2003
    For music, I find that 2ch gives a more realistic presentation of the music. The multichannel music that I've heard, eh, take it or leave it. Most if the time it's mixed to sound like you are right in the middle of the band. How often do you sit in the middle of the band? Having said that, I do think that multichannel music can and will have it's place and will be much better than it is now.

Far as a sub, personal choice. If you want to use one with music, by all means, knock yourself out. Done right (see Doc) it can work VERY well. For moi, my 2ch speakers go to 17hz so I don't think adding a sub will gain me a WHOLE lot.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • warviper
    edited December 2003
    Hi Troy I was wondering what are your mains?
  • Loud &amp; Clear
    Loud &amp; Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited December 2003
    Think he's talking about Carver 'Amazings.' Not sure, but given how massive they are, I'd imagine that's what he's talking about.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2003
    L&C...

You would be correct, sir!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • warviper
    edited December 2003
    Ive been listining to 6 ch alot latley and I find my self enjoying the fact that you can be moving around in all directions and you still get the clear sound. Any one heard of the def tech bp2x. Ive thought of upgrading to the bpx cause I like the 6 ch so much any ideas?:D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited December 2003
    Moving around and still get clear sound???

I can sit at this computer in my office with the 2 channel set up playing in my living room and I still get clear sound. For that matter I can feel it too. What's your point?

More speakers = more sound stage...... not really. IMHO, the right speakers/gear = more sound stage.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• warviper
    edited December 2003
    Sorry F1, my gear is inferior to yours im sure. Im just posting my opinion and maybe other people feel the same way. If you look at my system in the show case maybe you can give me some tricks to get the type of sound you get. Maybe if you look at my system you will see why I feel the way I do. When Im sitting at my comp imlike 4 feet from the left main and double that from the right. May be my mains are crap. Plz respond.:D
  • F1nut
    edited December 2003
    And my gear is inferior to many other set ups, don't worry about, you've got some nice stuff. Somebody else is always got something better.....like the grass is always greener on the other side.

I should have included, right room placement in my sound stage equation, not that mine is perfect. Is there any way to arrange the room so that sound from the 90's isn't being sucked into the sofa and cut up by the computer area? When I say clear sound, I mean that it's not muffled. Sure it sounds better sitting in my listening chair (it's ideal), but it still sounds clear in another room. Does yours not sound clear in the same room?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• warviper
    edited December 2003
    It sounds clear but sounds better in 6ch.:D
  • F1nut
    edited December 2003
    Well like I said, get the front speakers in a place were the sound isn't being cut up or deadened and I think you'll find yourself happier overall with 2 channel.

President of Club Polk