Polk RTA 8T?

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
edited September 2013 in Vintage Speakers
There is a pair of these for sale in the nearby area. Was wondering what everyones thoughts were on them. They look quite similar to the Monitor 60's that I currently have, but I know some of Polks vintage stuff is just better. Also in the same are is a set of Monitor 7c's for around the same price.

They are rated at 6ohms which my amp can do. Any comments would be appreciated.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2010
    Options
    My RTA-8T's have served me well for 20 years and climbing.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Very nice speaker, a step up from the monitor 60's. Very musical but lack in the bass department. You won't find a better speaker for the price.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2010
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Very nice speaker, a step up from the monitor 60's. Very musical but lack in the bass department. You won't find a better speaker for the price.

+1, got to go with Cathy and Leroy on this one. Definitely the 8s over the M60s. Actually I kind of wish Polk would bring back that design and have said so before in a thread...somewhere?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I thought the 8Ts had surprising bass output on my rig. Solid to 40hz with plenty of impact. I liked them better than RTi8s. It's either these or LS50s as my favorite short Polk tower.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I own a pair myself. You won't be disappointed with them. You can throw a ton of juice to them and they scoff and say " Is that all ya got?" Good stuff.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ron Temple wrote: »
    I thought the 8Ts had surprising bass output on my rig. Solid to 40hz with plenty of impact. I liked them better than RTi8s. It's either these or LS50s as my favorite short Polk tower.

I've got 8T's in my my office rig and LS50's in my HT rig. Both very nice speak's IMO.
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Love my 8T''s no problem with bass here.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited September 2010
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »

Plenty of bass with a good amp. A good amp will make them sing. Don't try them on a HT receiver or you won't have bass to speak of.
    They're a very musical speaker but need to be properly driven.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I thought the sounded pretty good with ASL Wave 25 tube monoblocks. And now they sound pretty good with an Aiwa mini all in one stereo in my garage.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited September 2010
    Options
    HB27 wrote: »
    Plenty of bass with a good amp. A good amp will make them sing. Don't try them on a HT receiver or you won't have bass to speak of.
    They're a very musical speaker but need to be properly driven.

Everyones definition of good bass will differ. Tried mine on my Adcom 5802 & Rotel 1090 with a pre amp.
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I should have been clearer. They sounded very good on an average Denon DRA 395 80wpc receiver but when I hooked them up to the NAD 2600 it was a whole NEW ballgame sportsfans. I didn't know they had that much bass in them. The overall quality of the speaker took on new dimensions.
  • MNmike
    MNmike Posts: 41
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm very happy with the 8's I have for the rears in my HT set-up.

I choose those over my M7 series2.
  • buschy2586
    buschy2586 Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Hey guys,

I am diving headfirst into this whole audiophile thing (on a budget). I pulled my parents RTA 8t's out of storage and am powering them with a recently purchased Pioneer SX-780. Some have mentioned that these speakers need a good amp to sing....my question is, will my SX-780 be enough? It's rated as something like 38watts, but thats 1970's watts (which from what I've read are more true to form than today's ratings). I am in the middle of doing a crossover mod to tighten them up (bought a kit online specifically designed for the 8t's), but with only 30-40watts going to these puppies, will that be enough to unlock the full effect of these quality speakers?

My initial idea was to take these speakers, the SX-780, and an old Pioneer PL-117d turntable and create my own vintage hifi. But, in all honestly, I am very new to all this. Any recommendations / advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited September 2013
    Options
    buschy2586 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I am diving headfirst into this whole audiophile thing (on a budget). I pulled my parents RTA 8t's out of storage and am powering them with a recently purchased Pioneer SX-780. Some have mentioned that these speakers need a good amp to sing....my question is, will my SX-780 be enough? It's rated as something like 38watts, but thats 1970's watts (which from what I've read are more true to form than today's ratings). I am in the middle of doing a crossover mod to tighten them up (bought a kit online specifically designed for the 8t's), but with only 30-40watts going to these puppies, will that be enough to unlock the full effect of these quality speakers?

My initial idea was to take these speakers, the SX-780, and an old Pioneer PL-117d turntable and create my own vintage hifi. But, in all honestly, I am very new to all this. Any recommendations / advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Welcome to CP. I run mine off a vintage Marantz, 52 WPC. Very pleased with the pairing...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Looks like you're buying some 8t's Dan
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    edited September 2013
    Options
    That receiver specs out at 45wpc @ 8ohm on vintage hi-fi. It should push the 6ohm rta8t's without a problem & should sound very nice. I have owned a pair in the past & enjoyed them very much. Perfect size towers that dont take up room & nice on the ears/eyes too
    Randy/Maine
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Welcome to CP. I run mine off a vintage Marantz, 52 WPC. Very pleased with the pairing...
    Welcome to the forum Buschey. I enjoy some vintage Marantz. Many models seem to pair well with vintage Polk.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2013
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Looks like you're buying some 8t's Dan

Nope, I have my 11TL's, and they wont be going anywhere besides the "upgrade" factory.

New poster bumped my old thread.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Nope, I have my 11TL's, and they wont be going anywhere besides the "upgrade" factory.

New poster bumped my old thread.

surround/ambiance duty :cheesygrin:
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2013
    Options
    buschy2586 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thanks,

Scott

You can forget about that "1970's watts versus some other time frame watts" hogwash. When represented/described accurately, 38 watts rms is 38 watts rms and that's that. 38wpc doesn't leave much room to spare when trying to drive something like the 8T to anything close to a satisfying level. You get carried away with that amp and it is going to be sound on the edge/tweeters DEPARTING on the edge through the whole affair. 50 or 60 wpc is where operations start to get safe, and crescendos much less congested and confusing.

Anything SS with less than 40wpc is something I would relegate to background listening and nothing more.
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2013
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    surround/ambiance duty :cheesygrin:

LOL, well the 11TL's are great fronts, so honestly 8T's would be the surrounds in that mix, unless I scored some SDA's and a CSi5 to go with them, in which case you may be correct...

But since this is my 2 channel room... doubtful....
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Man you're really a Debbie Downer when it comes to spending your money.......:evil:
  • boston1450
    edited September 2013
    Options
    If BUSCHY2586's Pioneer is rated 45wpc @ 8ohm. When its hooked to 6 ohm speakers that would mean more WPC. shouldnt that be enought to operate it. Yes i know they need more watts to bring out the best of them at higher volumes. But one would think a Pioneer s 780 hooked to a pair of RTA8t should sound pretty good. What are your impressions BUSCHY2586
    Randy/Maine
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Will the Pioneer drive the speakers, yes, will it sound good yes, will it sound better with more power ABSOLUTELY!

I originally had my RTA-8Ts driven with a 50 wpc Rotel amp. I didn't know what I was missing until I hooked them up to a 205wpc Parasound amp.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Fixed. Part of the reason they sounded so good on the Parasound is that its a high-current design. Quality watts are the way to go, how many you need depends on how hungry the speakers are and what levels you listen to them at. I've never thought of vintage Polk's as particularly hungry though.

Agreed. I run mine off a Parasound HCA-700ii and while not super high wattage, it makes them puppies sing. I dont imagine needing more watts, and am hoping to get my tube amp back into the mix as soon as possible

Also room size plays a factor. Bigger room may take more quality watts to fill than a small room. In my case I am 11x10 if the room was empty.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I still have the 8t's doing surround duty up front. After having the 8t's and 11t's I have to say that you can push the 8's with plenty of power and they will keep on pounding. The 11's, I've found, are a more sensitive speaker when it comes to pushing them. "Back then", same integrated, source, etc..., never blew anything on the 8's, blew all four drivers on the 11's. Probably in my head and probably a coincidence but it happened.

However, I will say for all around enjoyment, unless you push speakers aplenty, the 11's are the better sounding speaker although the 8's are not far behind. Not that it matters...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2013
    Options
    It's Audio 101, but a really tough sell to those with their minds made up, or who just plain don't know. Underpowering hurts more speakers than overpowering. End of story. You want to use 38wpc to listen to Carole King or Simon & Garfunkel all night, go for it, you should be fine. You want to "pound on them" as was put earlier, and maybe try some Allman Bros/Fillmore East, you better get some reasonably serious amp behind them. Not only is it safer, it makes them sound better whether you "pound on them" or not.
  • boston1450
    edited September 2013
    Options
    will that be enough to unlock the full effect of these quality speakers?

Thanks,

Scott[/QUOTE]
    ANSWER IS NO
    Randy/Maine