Problem in the playroom...

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited December 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Well, F*CK this! Today I got a pair of RF-35 and received one **** from the two. A woofer in one of the speaker is ****. I can feel the voice coil rub against the magnet when I push the speaker in and out.

I called the store and will be bringing it in for replacement tomorrow or whenever my neighbor feels like giving me a ride to the store again.

Even though we knew one woofer was busted we still listened to some music. First thing he told me was "it sounds like a concert", and I couldn't agree more. The right side of the soundstage with the properly functioning tower sound amazing. Once I get the replacement I know for sure I will love these speakers. I wil write more after the exchange.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2003
    what is a RF 35, and who makes em? and how much dinero do they run?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    edited December 2003
    Sorry, danger boy. I should've been more specific. They run for $1700CDN retail. They gave it to me for $1450 which came to $1700 flat after tax. They retail for $200 higher than the LSi9.

Still no luck. I brought them back to the store today, they checked it out and confirmed that it was a manufacturer's defect. They didn't have anymore 35's in the store for exchange.

They called a nearby repair center where I could bring it in and get the driver replaced on the spot but they don't have anymore RF-35 drivers.

They called another place to see if they have any drivers or speakers in and nobody picked up the phone. If they're out of speakers and drivers, the store will have to order another from Klipsch which will take about 2 weeks. This really sucks:(.
  • organ
    edited December 2003
    I'm kinda bored today so I decided to snap a pic of the speaker beside the 800i. What you can't see on here is the depth which makes the RF-35 look a lot bigger in person. The 800i is about 10" deep while the RF-35 is almost 15" deep.
    I still haven't attach the spikes on the Klipsch yet.
    The wait is killing me!!!!!!!!:mad:
  • organ
    edited December 2003
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2003
    Maurice,

have you hooked up the one good one yet? what is your initial impression? I assume you listened to them or was it a blind sight unseen purchase?

I'm very interested to read what you have to say about the Klipsch's
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • organ
    edited December 2003
    Yes, I've listened to both of them. The left soundstage was screwed up because one woofer kept making a rattling sound and it wasn't even functioning properly.
    I took a good listen to the good one and I'm extremely impressed. The presentation is effortless and extremely dynamic. They go so loud without strugling. I think I'm in love with those horns:). They're not brigt at all and have a very "fast" sound. The horns and woofers starts and stops exactly when they're supposed to which makes transients sound incredible. You also feel the wight of bass drums and bass guitars.

I will write a review a week after I get the other speaker.

It wasn't a blind purchase. I auditioned the RF-25 and 35. The RF-25 was too lean sounding compared to the 35. The 35 is more robust sounding and they hit like a ton of bricks. But the overall warmth of the 35 got me. Mids sounded warmer and more polite than the 25.

*edit* Now it's looking really good. I just got off the phone and they told me that the speaker has been brought in to another repair center and should arrive back on Mon or Tues. YEAH!!!:)

Maurice
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited December 2003
    Nice looking klipsch ya got there bud, I had kg 2's back in 87 and loved em. I wish that I still had them for some two channel enjoyment.

Enjoy,
    Mike
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2003
    Looking good. It won't be long now.:)
    Make it Funky! :)
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited December 2003
    The Klipsch speakers with the Horn Midrange are the one that are really bright, Cotton does wonders on them.
  • organ
    edited December 2003
    Oh yeah:D I got the other speaker back about an hour ago, attached the spikes and now I'm enjoying some black metal (Cradle of Filth's "Midian"). With the spikes on, these speakers are taller than the 800i. I spent about 30 mins setting them up. They're a lot more picky than the LSi when it comes to placement.

They're running on all tube gear right now and they're not bright or harsh. I bet some people woudn't even know they're listening to horns on a blind test.

Right now I'm blown away by the sound. I haven't heard any other speakers that can do metal like the Klipsch. These thigs can really rape your ears.

Soundstaging is just like the LSi and RT but about 2ft closer.

I will post a review in about 1 week.

Maurice