Car audio enthusiast turning to the HT side

Options
AustinKP
AustinKP Posts: 861
edited August 2010 in Speakers
Hey guys, I haven't posted in a LONG time, but have been lurking on and off for years. I finally sold my mustang with all my polk gear, so I'm completely polk free and missing the family. I've been desiring a nice HT, and am getting there bit-by-bit.

I've currently got a new Mitsubishi 65" DLP that I love (WD-65C9), paired with an LG Blu-Ray player (don't remember the model) and Xbox 360.

A few years back, I got a screaming deal on an Onkyo 7.1 HTIB. It's just ok. If it had a couple features, I probably wouldn't even be looking for a change, but it's got a couple annoyances.

1. No HDMI. Alone, not a huge deal since my TV has a lot of HDMI inputs, but I'm getting major obvious lag between sound and picture. Blu-Ray->TV via HDMI, TV->Receiver via digital coax. Video is way ahead of sound. I don't believe my receiver is capable of delaying that, but maybe?
2. Doesn't have the auto-EQ via microphone
3. It's a large room, sub isn't nearly powerful enough.
4. SQ isn't awesome
5. It's not Polk :)

All that said, I know about one notch above Jack Squat about HT audio.

Due to budget, I can't go all out at once. What do I upgrade first?

I found a pair of like-new TSi300's for $220 in the local classifieds. Seems like a great price. Should I start there, or buy them and sell for $100 more on Amazon and invest in something else?
http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
Post edited by AustinKP on

Comments

• SivaNevets
    SivaNevets Posts: 303
    edited August 2010
    Options
    just check out new egg everyweek,
    for example they got single monitor 50 for 79$ with 3 dollar shipping,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290014
    Front: Martinlogan ESL
    Center: Martinlogan Stage
    Rear: Martinlogan Motion 4
    Sub: Martinlogan Grotto-I
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC 1523K

PC 2 Channel: Polk LSI7
    Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
    Mic: Neumann KMS605

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • AustinKP
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I actually almost pulled the trigger on those a month or two ago. Are they better than the TSi300's?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • SivaNevets
    edited August 2010
    Options
    tsi300 are the new generation for monitor 50s, they sound about the same althought tsi look much nicer. .

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • AustinKP
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Sale today on Newegg: Monitor 60 for $110 each. Is the only difference between the 50 and 60 the extra speaker? Is it worth an extra $60 to get the 60's over the 50's?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • mystik610
    mystik610 Posts: 699
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What's your budget? Are you open to buying used? Are you primarily a music or HT guy (or both)?
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun
  • bopicasso
    bopicasso Posts: 878
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The difference between the M60 and M50 is not just the extra speaker. It will take less watts to power the M50 and make them sound good. Although both would benefit with external amplification. What do you plan on running them with?
    Living Room setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, Krell KAV 300i, PS Audio DL III DAC, Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u, Dynaudio Audience 120C+, SVS 25/31PCI, B-P-T Clean Power Center, Ps3, Panny 50" S1 Plasma, Tekline speaker cables, Audio Art interconnects, and Pangea power cables.
  • AustinKP
    edited August 2010
    Options
    This is purely for HT. Some occasional music for when I'm working out in the basement (in the man cave where the HT is), but 98% movies and xbox.

Budget is...nebulous. That's why I'm doing this piece by piece. I'd consider what I'm doing a budget system. I am completely open to buying used if I can get more for the money.

Got the model of my receiver: HT-R540. Advertised as 110 minimum watts per channel. I'd prefer to not have to buy an extra amp, simply due to the extra couple hundred dollars of cost I presume it would add. Would what I have work?

Edit: I'll probably eventually upgrade to something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BIFOL8/ref=ord_cart_shr?tag=sdfp-20&ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&prv=slickdeals&cur=forums&ses=&prv=slickdeals&cur=slickdeals&ses= unless there's a better deal for another brand of receiver? I don't know what brands are quality in this arena, and what a smoking deal actually looks like.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • SivaNevets
    edited August 2010
    Options
    you would be happy with both, imo since u have a sub there wont be much difference. but the monitor 60s look a lot better than m50 grill off. they both easy to drive, i think ull be fine with your receiver.

check out the monitor series II, they look really awesome, imo as good as the TSI.

check out my pictures, my monitor 40 just arrive 2 days ago

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105543

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • AustinKP
    edited August 2010
    Options
    bopicasso wrote: »
    The difference between the M60 and M50 is not just the extra speaker. It will take less watts to power the M50 and make them sound good.
    Isn't that just a side effect of the extra speaker? Is "110 watts" not enough to power the M60? is there any audible difference in sound quality, or are we just talking volume per watt?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • AustinKP
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I should also add that what I've currently got has plenty of volume. I don't need anything to be louder (besides the sub). I'm just looking for more clarity, especially in the midrange. Male voices in movies, especially in the quieter scenes are particularly hard to understand with the Onkyo speakers.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • mystik610
    mystik610 Posts: 699
    edited August 2010
    Options
    For a home theater application, my vote is to bide your time and find a deal on some RTi8's...be them used, refurbished, or even new.

These are much better for home theater than anything from the monitor line, and they don't necessarily require external amplification. The 60's and 70's need external amplification to be worthwhile IMO.

As for receivers...look for close-outs on the Onkyo 607
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun