CSi40 and RTi38 question....

Options
MSkeezer
MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
edited December 2003 in Speakers
I recently picked up the CSi40 at CC for only $169 open box, and, I have to say, it's a tremendous improvement over the CSi30. I'm wondering, is it ok to set it, and the RTi38's to "large"? I know everything is supposed to be set to "small", but I let a friend have my old Sony subwoofer. I usually listen to movies at a low to medium sound level(apartments suck). Will setting the speakers to "large" damage them in any way?
Post edited by MSkeezer on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Largely depends on the corresponding LFE routing. If it goes to any speakers set to large, there is reason to be concerned on two levels.

First, the direct impact on the speakers as you asked. Second, the demands on your amp section driving it into clipping, which of course comes back after the speakers tweeters. I think the latter is the greater threat.

Safe move is to kill the LFE. You may be able to do this directly in setting up your AVR or by simply lieing to it by telling it there is a sub. With sub set to "yes", it probably rotes the LFE there regardless of the speaker setting. But consult your manual to be sure.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by MSkeezer
    I recently picked up the CSi40 at CC for only $169 open box, and, I have to say, it's a tremendous improvement over the CSi30. I'm wondering, is it ok to set it, and the RTi38's to "large"? I know everything is supposed to be set to "small", but I let a friend have my old Sony subwoofer. I usually listen to movies at a low to medium sound level(apartments suck). Will setting the speakers to "large" damage them in any way?
    Yes the 40 is a nice improvement over the 30. I have had my 35's at large with no problems to the speakers probably due to the internal crossovers. I have been huge into HT for a long time now and playing with my 3 setups in every case setting everything to small with a quality subwoofer yielded much better results....(clarity, stronger smoother bass)
  • walk
    walk Posts: 178
    edited December 2003
    Options
    It really doesn't matter if you don't have a subwoofer. In fact most AVR's won't route LFE or bass freqs to the center, *ever* regardless of size setting or sub on/off setting. They may route LFE/bass to the Fronts, though. But most AVR's don't even let you change the Fronts from "large" if you don't have a subwoofer (ie if Sub=No then Front=Large, no matter what).

In any case, you shouldn't damage the speakers at low to medium (or even moderately high) volumes.
    - Sony 50"A3000 SXRD; Onkyo TX-SR 805
    - Polk RTi150 mains; CSi30 center; FXi3 surrounds, R15 backs
    - Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer